Sussudio: would've it been accepted if anyone but Phil Collins had sung it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

People seem to forget that Live Aid was in the first place organized to raise funds for the famine in Ethiopia. That's why I loath those comments claiming lately "duhh, Queen gave the best performance that day". Because Live Aid was never meant as a contest. All artists were asked was to appear, for free, to show their support for the cause, and the LZ members were gracious enough to do that. Maybe we should give them some respect for that. As for who played best, yes Queen and U2 gave some terrific shows and got plenty mileage out of it. But there was only one real star at Live Aid, and that's Bob Geldof, who pulled this whole project off through sheer good will and charisma.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I never had that problem. If you came to my house you were probably going to hear what I felt like playing lol
    Drummer mate used to complain when I put beefheart on lol

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Perhaps those two are similar to Albatross / Sun King,

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

While at the same time the lead singer of Zeppelin had a number of pop hits in the 80's

5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

His voice had changed and the music was nothing like Zeppelin. I remember not believing it when someone told me that guy had been the lead singer of zeppelin.

6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Plant's voice was smoother and not as rough in the 80, so being someone who grew up in the 80's and knowing his hits from the 80's records, I was a bit thrown off when I first heard LZ where his rough was a little rougher, but it didn't take long for me to come around.

7. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

To be quite honest. I dont see the plagarism or similarities. One More Night sounding like Jackson's Human Nature is quite a stretch. It could be those styles sounding ballads were quite commonly made in the 80s. There are quite a few Motown singles that sound like they are cut from the exact same template.

8. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

If Miles Davis said something like that about me, I would spend the rest of my life not giving two fat damns what any music critic or anonymous online critic said.

Jarleboy, Timmy84, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Oh well, that settles it. Miles Davis is the messiah, what he says must be right.

10. telecode101

I wonder if Miles Davis was on Atlantic Records at the time? :)

11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I think is a fantastic song. And I´m not even Phil Collins fan

12. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

What a line up that could be!

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

:rolleyes:

14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've never seen this program Miami Vice, but from the name I always assumed it was a police drama or crime drama or something of that ilk. I get the impression, from the references to it in this forum, that it's more like an updated version of the Ed Sullivan Show.

15. telecode101

Dude, don't **** with Don Johnson and his shoulder pads.

[​IMG]

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Looks like a man in a fancy dressing gown.

17. HaileyMcComet

Miles Davis was inarguably a better musician than any music critic, online or off, that I have ever heard about.

18. HaileyMcComet

Warner Bros.

19. HaileyMcComet

Little known fact, "Sussudio" was originally called "Puffy Suit-E-O".

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Quite possibly, but (a) not everyone enjoys his music, despite your use of the word "inarguably", and
    (b) one can be a good musician without being a good music critic, or vice versa.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Miami Vice is simply the coolest cop show ever.
    [​IMG]

So gloriously 80's!

Terrapin Station likes this.
  22. It's good

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I am puzzled as to why the word "mess" would be censored by the forum. ;)

24. HaileyMcComet

Inarguably is the right word. My original post was about how I would feel if Miles Davis said that about me. How people who hate his music would feel has no effect on how I would feel.

If you want to discuss Miles Davis as the arbiter of subjective music opinions, that's an entirely different subject.

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

IMO those first 4 albums that Peter Gabriel released were Far better than Phil collins did his whole career.

I hated Sussudio, to me it was a horrible song that, to me, is one of the worst songs of the 80's, and that's saying a lot.
    I don't think Peter Gabriel or hardly anyone else would have had as big a hit with the song as Phil did. The whole song
    sounds garbled musically. He had a hit with it because it fit his "imp jokester" image that he was doing in his
    videos. He just got too silly for me. I liked "In the Air Tonight", "Another Day in Paradise", "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)"
    and "I Don't Care Anymore", that's it. Most of his stuff is examples of all the bad music from the 80's. He's got
    more money than most do so he's fine. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    fer2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.