Sussudio: would've it been accepted if anyone but Phil Collins had sung it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timmy84, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

This thread is not about his musicianship, it's about his hit with "Sussudio".
    I don't see any posts before yours that disses him...
    Your opinion of my opinion is subjective
    Your opinion of anyone who disses him is subjective. :)

Timmy84 likes this.
  2. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

"he who makes your girlfriend dance." Too true. If you've got 18-34 year old females hooked on your tunes you're made.

3. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great find!!! :D:cool:

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't understand why we are even discussing Sussudio, because apparently Miles Davis has already given his opinion on it, so the Lord has spoken. May as well close the thread.

There are probably a few other threads that can be close also, by simply looking up what Miles Davis said about the topic, thereby saving ourselves the effort of forming our own opinions.

Paul Sofronoff and Timmy84 like this.
  5. Timmy84

I know this thread is a year old but I'm just now seeing this. I just read in one of the Wiki articles about One More Night (or No Jacket Required) that he had the Jacksons in mind when he did OMN. So this is spot on. I definitely hear some similarities in OMN and HN.

tdgrnwld likes this.
  6. Timmy84

I mean it's subtle. I agree, it's not too similar lol but I kinda get where they were going. I guess the best thing you can say is people were emulating the sounds they heard, they weren't trying to "copy" it. Besides, HN wasn't even MJ's creation, that was all Steve Porcaro lol

7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

The parody group Big Daddy did release a 50s doo-wop version of it. Think Dion & The Belmonts. It´s a lot of fun!

gabbleratchet7 and Timmy84 like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think everything Big Daddy did was a lot of fun. Brilliant "backstory" in the band's origin, so there's a great meta quality to the act. Their perversion of contemporary musical numbers run through the blender of pre-Beatles-era styles, is amazingly deft. And then the ultra meta final album*, where they did the exact same methodology to the entire Sgt. Pepper's album, is more stroke than most geniuses get in a lifetime.

And I think it is most-relevant on the track you posted as...it was just a fun song, to begin with, and doesn't lose sight of that.

(* and yes I know, their "final" album was actually Chantmania, a skewering of the entire short-lived 'Gregorian chant' fad in the '90s, including a pitch-perfect rendition of "Theme from The Monkees"; but, I'm not considering it their final album, since they didn't record that one as "Big Daddy".)(Hey! I hijacked my own post!)

gabbleratchet7 and Jarleboy like this.
  9. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

Sussudio, Paperlate, Abacab...Collins has got a penchant for cockeyed titles, hasn't he. I wish he'd knocked it off after the first one, whichever that was.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I understand you're being sarcastic, but I don't have a problem with this.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, as we all know, Miles Davis is the epitome of critique expertise when it come to the pop music medium...;)
    I mean, his essay on the social impact of "Mmm-Bop" is age-defining.

12. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Paperlate is a British newsboy's cry for the evening edition of the local paper.

HaileyMcComet and Jarleboy like this.
  13. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

I'll have to take your word for it; I never heard it shouted around here ("Late night final!" is the one I remember - that tended to come from people manning kiosks, though, not from paperboys). At any rate, I don't like the way the two words have been run together.

14. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I would say the keyboard sound and riff had more to do with it!

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

It may not mean much, but at least it's universal. One of these things, like these early rock n' roll songs, even if they're not the same thing. You just get a feel from "Sussudio" even if you don't speak English.

Even PJ Harvey once said there was something special about Phil Collins songs. Not that she likes him, I think, but she recognized a quality, a craftsmanship. I'm fond of Phil, personally and tend to defend him. :)

aravel and Nightfly68 like this.
  16. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Miles Davis: dead for 30 years and still pissing people off.

17. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

In reply to the OP: NO

18. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: IMO it has a vibe of the 80's synthpop and kinda Prince's dance beat.

I guess all it went down for good Ol' Phil in the 'alternative-grunge-britpop' wave of early 90's, before this, he used to be Everywhere! Live Aid both shows with and without Led Zeppelin, with Marilyn Martin, with Phillip Bailey, GRammy Awards, 12"ers compilation, endless mini-clips for his singles (some of the very good videos), Genesis 1986-87, then again Phil Solo, Buster Film , Buster OST, Live ALbum, Live VHS, Phil with David Crosby again in the Grammys, once more with Genesis, Phil at Prince Trust Concert, Phil with GEorge Harrison Clapton and Ringo...did I missed Again? Pun intended :rolleyes:

Bern likes this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm not sure it (Sussidio) wasn't accepted, with Phil Collins singjng it. It certainly was accepted among the people I was around at the time.

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

What is the problem with Sussudio? I never had a beef with it, it is an enjoyable pop track. I’ve always found the PC critisism enormously petty.

He even recorded it in his own Stustudio.....

(...i’ll see myself out....)

HaileyMcComet and walrus like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Considering it's easily his second most famous solo song, it seems like it was plenty "accepted."

There's a certain chunk of the Genesis fanbase that was never going to accept anything the band did in the 80's, and thus were going to hate most of Phil's solo output anyway. But also, just because Phil was the drummer in a prog band doesn't mean, outside of that band, he was going to follow the same path (otherwise, what's the point, really?).

It's a silly song, but a great (albeit Prince-swiping) production. It's supposed to be a fun album, an intentional contrast from his largely depressing first two solo LP's. Millions of people liked it, it made a lot of people happy, it still featured some great pop songwriting, superb vocals and good drumming on the songs where he actually played live drums. You could do so much worse in the pop world than this record.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  22. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I believe Michael Jackson would qualify as well

The Space Cowboy and HiredGoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.