SVS Subwoofers, Popularity Justified?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I loved the sound of my old JL Audio sub and their quality is fine by me. They just need to take the next step, get with the times and add an App based control system. I bet they are working on it right this minute.

2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I had tried the (2) JL Audios, which were built like tanks, and an REL strata 3 and I could never get them to blend seamlessly with any pair of speakers. Especially the Magnepan 1.6qr.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The problem that I have with anything controlled by apps is the fact that I keep my gear for a prolonged amount of time. There will be zero support for apps to be adapted to the iPhone 25 or Android 15.3. So there will be either ;

- no access to getting the apps anymore.
    - functionality issues due to the difference in platforms from what they were initially coded for.
    - compatibility issues for the same reasons.
    - no actual communication-capable device on the market once everyone stops using Bluetooth in favor of GreenToe or whatever else is introduced.

So all this app-controlled stuff is something I avoid like the plague. No point in spending money on something with key features that won't be possible to use in a few years.

The alternative would be to keep an old cellphone specifically and uniquely for the purposes of controlling your sub or whatever else is app-controlled for use in 10-20 years... assuming the app is already installed on it and it doesn't die.

I'd prefer a standard remote control by far.

AlmanacZinger and bever70 like this.
  4. avanti1960

yes, i have been burned by that before with apps that updated and my phone wouldn't support it. i do have a few spare android phones not used for voice and some android tablets just for that reason. android will be around for a while and tablets / non-contract phones are cheap. shouldn't be an issue.

5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

This happened to my Pioneer receiver app. It would no longer work on my phone. Good thing that I still have tablet with older Android on it...

6. Strat-Mangler

It's not that simple. You need the specific OS it was designed for or you likely will run into functionality issues. I'm not much for keeping a bunch of old devices around for that sort of thing. So many issues can and will happen. The older phone might start malfunctioning, have a dead battery, experience problems with its installation, etc. Trying to get parts or find the app again might be problematic or damn near impossible.

Your only option to be set would be to have an extra older phone with a backed up APK file for the app somewhere, plus replacement chargers and batteries for future use. And then, you cross your fingers and hope nothing else will go wrong.

I'm not one to make wild predictions but I strongly suspect no one in 20 years will be using the app-controlled gear people lust over today.

avanti1960, bever70 and mdm08033 like this.
  7. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

A few years ago I had a SVS PB-1000 - and later on a SB-2000 - home for demo for my then HT system.
    I have to say, I wasn't impressed with either one of them.
    Ended up getting a B&W ASW610XP which to my ears was much more precise.
    It's bass sound just plain sounded better also.
    I've also had a JL Audio Dominion D110 home for demo, which sounded excellent too.
    But each to his own - a lot of people love SVS subs.

bever70 likes this.
  8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Have you heard sealed SVS subs or like many, because of their low price and popularity in HT setups, just written them off? You don't need speaker inputs because almost all have line outputs that go directly into your receiver or preamp and serve the same purpose providing you can separate the amp section from the preamp or a monitor circuit.

An acquaintance uses a pair of SB 2000s and I thought they sounded great which is why I'm going to get a pair eventually.

BTW, I had a Velo DD12 and it sounded good but as with almost all Velodynes, developed a hum.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love my SVS Ultra 13. For music, it's very tight and well defined. For movies, well, explosions shake the house!

10. Strat-Mangler

Volume doesn't impress me. Kind of like those rear-projection gigantic TVs of yesteryear. The absolute worst picture quality possible but almost everyone was hypnotized by the size. Sound quality is all that matters to me, really. :)

Give me the most musical sub possible for the price with speaker level inputs.

F1nut and bever70 like this.
  11. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

+1. My Rel T7i is definitely no heavyweight when it comes to movie explosions but that's not why I bought it. Imho you either buy subs for music or for movies, not both.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

You can get sub that works great for both music and movies.

JL Audio Fathom, JL Audio Gotham, Paradigm Sub 1, Sub 2, etc, are out there. If you have the $$$. get a couple of them.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I have an SVS SB4000 that I bought for my HT. I tried it for 2 channel, but my Velodyne DD+ is in a different league. Speaking of which, I have 3 Velodyne subs, none hum.

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Add Rythmik to that list. As I pointed about above. For movies simply turn off the servo so the driver creates more distortion like a regular sub that sounds like extra boom. Turn on the servo for music for nice tight real bass.

F1nut likes this.
  15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Oh, I could easily turn up the volume on the sub for movie explosions but I'm just not that interested in the sound of explosions :laugh:.

rischa and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

here is an interesting take

17. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I sold off my sub (a JL) and part of my unhappiness was not being able to adjust it from the listening spot. It seemed to me that various albums had different needs, and I just ended up with some 'compromise' setting on the sub that might, or might not, be optimal or even very good.

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

It’s nice to know that we all agree on what the best sounding, easiest to operate subwoofer brand is. This gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Kind of like what a subwoofer does. Lol.

M. M.

19. Strat-Mangler

I hear you and agree completely. My sub is less than 6' from me so adjusting the volume is no big deal.

However, there are options if you're in that situation such as using a device like the JBL NanoPatch to control the sub's volume manually from the sitting position.

[​IMG]

Or this cheap device that does the same thing and has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VIKAIU

Maybe there's a way to add remote controlled for the volume knob of a sub which doesn't have that functionality. There'd need to be a motor on the knob itself, though.

20. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Other than checking the overall balance / levels once a year or so, I've never had a need to adjust any of my subs' (presumably relative to the rest of the speakers) more than that, and certainly not in response to (potentially) every change in content.

Properly set up, a system should simply reproduce what's passed its way as accurately as possible.

Perhaps overly idealistic on my part, but the alternative leans way too much towards the chaotic for my (listening) tastes.

Jeff

bever70, basie-fan, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  21. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

I wonder if you could use a Schiit Sys?

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

22. avanti1960

Seems like a decent, believable review.
    The good thing about this one is that there are manual controls available should the "app" or your app device lose support you could still adjust it. Not so with the Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X, pretty much everything except level control is only adjustable through the app.

23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Agreed. When I read about people needing to adjust their subs constantly I understand that to mean their sub wasn't set up right. Once right it can be left alone.

I understand. I twiddled with adjustment for a long time too before I figured out that room treatments and measurements were needed to cleanly blend it together. Speaker designers don't plop in a woofer and say, 'that's good enough'. They measure and tweak to make it a cohesive combination of units that is a sum of parts. Adding a sub is adding another driver to that sum and requires work getting it to mate up properly.
    Sometimes the room won't let that happen either, which is why we treat rooms. Once it works, it works without any more needed knob twiddling.

AlmanacZinger, F1nut, pdxway and 2 others like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, once you sub is properly setup in the room, I see little or no need for further adjustments.

That is, other than volume. Different sources are going to have more bass or less bass, and having the ability to adjust the sub's volume level by remote control is a handy feature.

Polk DSW PRO subs have a wireless remote control for this and other adjustments.
    • Power On/Off
    • Mute
    • Volume +/-
    • Phases: 0, 90, 180, 270
    • Night Mode
    • LED
    • Reset
    • Polk Room Optimizer: Cabinet, Corner, Mid-Wall, Mid-Room

AlmanacZinger and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

Denon's brand new DRA-800H 2 channel stereo receiver has a sub out and sub volume control built into the pre amp section before amp. It also has pre out RCA connectors for connecting maybe a separate tube amp or better class a amp.
    DRA-800H (2019)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.