Swans - Children of God/Feel Good Now remasters due Fall 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockOfDaylight, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

From the Young God Records July 2020 Newsletter

“We’re working on the re-issue of the 1987 Swans 2XVinyl album, Children of God, for release in late Fall of this year. The 2XVinyl will come with a download card for the contemporaneous Feel Good Now live album, and a special 2XCD package will feature both albums. In both cases the music has been painstakingly remastered”

Exciting news, as I believe this is arguably the quintessential Swans album.

Will be curious to see if the original version of “Our Love Lies” is restored to the album, whereas the previous reissue compilation used the Love Will Tear Us Apart acoustic b-side.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. ShockOfDaylight

3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

My first, in 1987, and still my favourite SWANS album. More a journey than simply a set of individual songs.

I’ve always liked the sound of the album , so will be interested to see if/how this remaster improves the original.

Not sure how Feel Good Now can be remastered if the source material was recorded on a Sony Walkman?!

People looking for great sounding live recordings from the CoG tour should check out the live CDRs Jarboe has for sale on her website.

4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

[​IMG]

moj and Beamish13 like this.
  5. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

8. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Brother-in-law was at the Eindhoven show

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. ShockOfDaylight

I wasn’t at the show but heard the archive release from Jarboe’s site, what a great and intense performance.

craigobau and Beamish13 like this.
  10. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The Gothenburg and London archival shows are also excellent.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Seems kind of odd to just reissue the two albums that have been available since forever (and both came out on CD in their original release) - why not use this opportunity to include some previously unreleased material to make it more appealing to the fans who already own both albums?

12. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

? Children of God hasn't been available on vinyl since it was originally released in 1987.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Okay, so a straight vinyl re-release is fine, but I'm gonna need some reassurance that the new CoD CD is any better than the Product original.

I could be kind of cranky about this as I'm still pretty impatient for a complete proper Cop/Greed/Holy Money reissue - which DOES need a decent CD reissue. (And hopefully will also include the 'A Long Slow Screw' videocassette on DVD and 'Public Castration' on a CD that's not mastered from an old LP)

craigobau likes this.
  14. ShockOfDaylight

I am curious as to how a Cop through to A Screw EP reissue would be handled. Around 2016, digital only versions of these albums popped up in all the usual places, but there was no physical release. Each release has the corresponding EP appended at the end. But Greed/Time is Money is missing the original Money is Flesh (Holy Money version appears instead) and the original mix of Time is Money is also missing.

I wonder if these digital only releases mean that a physical reissue is not planned?

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Come to think of it, the 2LP edition of 'Feel Good Now' contained some tracks that wouldn't fit on the single CD, right? And then they edited even more stuff out when Atavistic reissued it fifteen years later. If they're just going to put CoG on CD1 and FGN on CD2, it's still just going to be the edited version.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The original CDs were just the complete albums plus the 12" singles. (It's only the later remastered editions that stuck 'Greed' and 'Holy Money' together and took stuff out to make 'em fit (*)) Revert back to that standard: 3CD and a DVD with 'Long Slow Screw' and the four Castration tracks in audio form. Plus, of course, whatever unreleased stuff they might have to add on.

(*) and they were pressed on PDO CD that rotted away.

17. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The vinyl release of Feel Good Now included Our Love Lies which has not been included on any of the CD releases.

93curr likes this.
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

19. ShockOfDaylight

craigobau likes this.
  20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I have already received a copy of the documentary via the original Kickstarter program which includes 5 or 6 of those bonus clips and the main feature runs for a whopping 161 mins!

ShockOfDaylight likes this.
  21. ShockOfDaylight

That’s awesome, I pre-ordered the 2 disc Blu-ray, any word if those extras will be included on there as well?

22. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The Blu-ray extras run for 156mins so my guess is that there will be more extras on the Blu-ray than the digital version extras, but no info about the Blu-ray extras has been released yet

ShockOfDaylight likes this.
  23. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Received my two-disc set from Mute Records this morning.

Planning to give it a good blast later today and hopefully be blown away by the remastering.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  24. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

Weird, they just sent out an email about a week ago saying there was a print issue and CDs wouldn't ship until the 23rd. Maybe that only applied to YGR and not Mute?

25. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I did read somewhere that there were delays with YGR stock of the reissue, but clearly this has not also impacted Mute stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.