"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

are there any chances for UK dates? anyone knows?

melstapler likes this.
  2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Pulled out the Flying Burrito Brothers Live at the Fillmore East Nov 7, 1970, CD. Two Sweetheart songs are on there: 100 Years Fron Now and I Am a Pilgrim. Pilgrim was a show stopper even in 1970, the audience loved it.

3. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Marty & the Superlatives are touring the first few months of the year. Will be seeing them in Dallas

4. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Thanks to all of those who recommended this show. The performance at the Capitol Theater in Clearwater last night was great. I was surrounded by enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans which made it even more fun.

5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I have that and it a good show. I've got some other live Burritos with
    Gram Parsons on some interesting compilations the year before.

Glad to know the south Florida show went well. I'll be seeing them
    in Lauderdale very soon. Much americana to pack in this weekend
    before leaving. It has been more than entertaining going back
    through the musical history of what I will see on stage shortly.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Chris Hillman has become Dr. Jacoby from Twin Peaks.

jumpinjulian and melstapler like this.
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Charlie, wasn't the Sweetheart of the Rodeo just here in November at the Majestic? Did you see them?

melstapler likes this.
  8. Charlie DJ

They were and I was there. I had known of Marty Stuart but not being a country music fan, I was not familiar with his music nor his band. They were of course fantastic - so much that I'm going to the Kessler to see them too. And I bought his latest "Way Out West" and am enjoying it.

9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I saw two of the Sweetheart shows and was also turned on to Stuart and his band. Love Way Out West and plan to explore his back catalog.

10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Charlie, when is the concert at the Kessler? Is the 2 Byrds going to be there too, doing the Sweetheart of the Rodeo with Marty Stuart and the Superlatives?
    If so, I would like to check it out if it's not sold out.

melstapler likes this.
  11. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Looking forward to Ponte Vedra on Monday night!

melstapler likes this.
  12. Charlie DJ

Fri Feb 15 Billed just as Marty & the Fabs - I doubt the 2 Byrds will be there. Only SRO tickets left which isn't bad if you don't mind standing. The place is so small.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I just pulled this out which is an ancient favorite; what a
    sweet record with multitudes of talent involved. I won't
    be taking notes Wed night, though there will be a brief
    review of everything that goes down from the get go to
    the let go at some point soon... cheers.

[​IMG]

14. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Just back from Ft. Lauderdale...

Exquisite (as was Boston).

They threw in “I’ll Feel A Whole Lot Better” and an impressive “Eight Miles High” before finishing with “Turn Turn Turn.”

Hoping desperately for a record from this gem of a tour...

15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Well just back from the show at the Parker Playhouse in Fort Lauderdale.

Really outstanding. What musicians! Great storytelling by Hillman and McGuin. Puts a lot of the music in perspective.

Kenny Vaughn and Marty are jaw dropping great on guitar. My guitar collection needs a Tele, and I don’t see getting one unless it’s a b bender. Marty really honors Clarence White playing those parts not for note.... wow still smiling

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Showing some love for Gene Clark! Hope they keep those two songs in the set and continue this tour into 2019.

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Damn! Wish they would have done those first two when I saw them in Akron. It would have made an already-great show perfect.

18. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Did McGuinn play lead on 8MH?

zobalob and Paperback Writer like this.
  19. Since they added 8MH and Feel A Whole Lot Better -were they purely add ons?

Or, did they swap them in and take out 2 songs from previous sets?

Grand finale’?

Or preview of future tour featuring even more classic Byrds?

20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Finally some Gene! So they dropped the Petty tribute(s)?

21. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Lol.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Now that would tick Crosby off.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Gonna cut Chris loose and rope in John & Gene for a 50th anniversary of Dr Byrds tour. Keep Marty's Clarence gtr busy.

bonus likes this.
  24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

How could he NOT? Not to say that Marty and/or Kenny couldn't have chimed in too, as Clarence did back in the day.

But there has to be some McGuinn lead work on this. In fact, the (Untitled) version didn't have nearly enough of it.

zobalob and YardByrd like this.
  25. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

They were add-ons. After Marty and the Superlatives had their usual encore slot of the acoustic "Runnin' Down a Dream," McGuinn mentioned that it was the last night of the tour and they were going to do "a couple of bonus tunes."

The crowd, which had been very warm and attentive during the earlier sets, was on its feet beginning with "So You Want To Be A Rock 'n Roll Star" and was very appreciative of the earlier gems. Marty and the band seemed to have an especially great time with those tunes as well. (Funny side note: my Paris-born girlfriend, a Deadhead who knows Sweetheart inside and out, had never heard "Eight Miles High." She was blown away...). "Turn! Turn! Turn!," while great, seemed like a tiny bit of an anticlimax.

(And yes, Roger owned the place with the intro to "EMH" and started to get a little wild in the middle of the tune. Great fun to see him go psychedelic rock 'n roll; I think he surprised himself a little bit. And Hillman's bass...I was born in 1970 and fell in love with these guys at age 14. NEVER thought I'd be in the room for "that sound"--whether it be McGuinn's "Coltrane" Rickenbacker or Marty's "Clarence." It was heaven, and as above, I only hope they get a record out...)

I was startled that the Ft. Lauderdale crowd seemed actually seemed younger than the Boston audience. And a big thumbs-up for the Parker Playhouse. Relaxed, comfortable, and intimate with a very helpful staff. Plus, an excellent dose of late-60s/early 70s Scorsese-style "glamour."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Jim Walker, D.B., budwhite and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.