"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 50th Anniversary tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Originally, with the original vocals now on Sweetheart releases, Parsons sang lead on I think six songs. As for who had the best vocal style, that is a matter of opinion.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree that the original Parsons vocals are better on those three songs. But there's no way they would have released an album with six Parsons lead vocals, even if he hadn't quit the band. I have a mixed opinion about the whole thing. As I said, I prefer the Parsons vocals individually, but I think the album as a whole works better with the lead vocals distributed more evenly between the members.

glewes and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

It's great that he plays the original tele that Clarence had. More so than Gram's vocals, its getting the flavour of Clarence's playing which would be a key factor in this.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Marty would be able to get the flavor of Clarence's playing down just fine.

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Just to pick out one more part of this earlier post, as I meant to say something about it in my reply:

While McGuinn has "never once mentioned religion again," I don't know that there's any reason at all to believe that his feelings have moderated on this score in the intervening years. It was quite a definitive statement at the time it was made, and I think it's fair to say that you don't often hear of this type of Christian saying "Well, that's what I believed at the time, but I have a different view now."

I don't know either whether this is truly the main reason McGuinn doesn't want to work with Crosby — but it's certainly a convenient coverall one for McGuinn's purposes. As I said in my earlier post, each of McGuinn's other objections (rock, touring, rehashing the past, reviving the Byrds name) could all easily be dealt with in the fashion I proposed.

Still, of course, it's ultimately McGuinn's decision. A part of me, though, will always wish for one more iteration of the unique Byrds magic. (I'm not ashamed to say that "Without Your Love" from Back to Rio brought tears to my eyes. It still does.)

But there's simply no way it can happen without the full participation of all three.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

True. I doubt he feels differently about that issue. But as I said, I'm skeptical it is the only reason (or even the main reason) he does not want to reunite with Crosby.

For reference, here is the interview where he made the statements in the first place, fourteen years ago. He says that he does not believe he should enter into a business partnership with a non-Christian. Yet he also mentions that he came to this realization during the time he was in McGuinn, Clark, and Hillman circa 1980. It's notable that since that time he has reunited onstage with Crosby on many occasions, most notably the spate of shows they performed in the late 80s/early 90s as a way of bolstering their claims to the Byrds' name in their legal fight against Michael Clarke. The fact that he's done that suggests he has not always been rigid in how he applies his beliefs about working with "unbelievers."

It's also notable that at the end of his comments about not working with unbelievers, he says "I must say though, that at this point in my life, I wouldn't want to get back together with the Byrds even if they were all Christians. I feel it's much better to leave the Byrds as a great memory." So he himself makes clear religion is not the only reason for his lack of desire to do a reunion.

If I had to speculate, I'd guess that his willingness to do this tour is at least partially because it's a more interesting (and less rock-oriented) project than a simple reunion tour flogging their hits. And his lack of desire to tour with Crosby probably has as much to do with David's personality (and a lack of desire to revisit old conflicts) as it does with David's spiritual beliefs.

lightbulb and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  7. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

This is true. I follow both on Twitter (Crosby is a regular poster who opines freely on a range of subjects, McGuinn only an occasional participant) and they've had a number of cordial conversations about their past together and their current activities. They do both seem hesitant to open up any cans of worms, and I get no sense that their friendly interaction is likely to extend beyond Twitter.

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

The more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards trying to go. I'm a member so I can buy tickets now. Fellow member bill Cormier already has tickets with another friend of ours so I may grab a single seat. Anyone else in upstate New York thinking about going?

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In any case, it is a bit funny that the one-announced show (so far) by these Christian Byrds is occurring on the night of Yom Kippur. No scheduling conflicts at all!

;)

10. Well the songs can attone all their sins and they can remember all the dead Byrds at the same time. Perfect Yom Kuppur Koncert

MarkTheShark likes this.
  11. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

None of the links from the first page seem to be working anymore.

lightbulb likes this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

This is because the official announcement from Skyline has been delayed until June. It will still go on though. In other words, this announcement is premature.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I work in the building to right , 35th floor !

Stopped by the box office today, tix go on sale to the general public June 6.

Bonddm and melstapler like this.
  14. I suspect that Roger may said what he did out of politeness at least in part. Better to cite religious differences than to say he won't work with Crosby because he's an ***hole.

A talented one though. :)

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

The show is still available for members so I think all is ok. The venue sounds great for those who are planning to go. I've seen many great shows there. I grabbed a single seat.

budwhite and zobalob like this.
  16. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The link on the Skyline page has gone dead too. Weird.

17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Just wanted to add on this thread something about Marty Stuart. I'm not sure how many who are generally interested in the legacy of Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Byrds history and the current doings of those associated with them that are still alive, and for lack of a better term country rock from more the rock perspective follow Marty. I frankly wish I did more myself, but can say I've long considered him a unique individual in music, meaning how he goes about it and where he is on the music spectrum if you will.

He seems just the right person to pull off something like this. Despite his general association with Nashville, he's always (imho) been associated with the real deal version of it, not the pop mainstream Nashville. From his early association with the Lester Flatt band, Vassar Clements, and Johnny Cash, he's closer to Dwight Yoakam than mainstream Nashville. By that I mean in part he's fully aware of the more California style as in Bakersfield and country rock emphasis on rock. Not for nothing he's got Clarence White's guitar.

Marty also did one of my personal favorite country albums all time, This One's Gonna Hurt You, from 1992. Check it out if you don't know it already. Or perhaps you already have another favorite of his.

[​IMG]

MarkTheShark, Shakin, rd1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Has his album last year was a semi country rock psychedelic masterpiece. One of the best of the year.

garymc, jlf, snigglefritz and 2 others like this.
  19. It's in better hands with Marty than anyone else I can think of. Thank goodness it's not hanging on some fat cat collector's wall somewhere.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The one thing that makes this positive for a potential reunion with Crosby at some point is it shows McGuinn willing to play larger shows with a band for roughly "the first time in forever".

I actually saw Crosby and McGuinn play together at the Beacon around 1984, and McGuinn was already born again and had already suffered all the aggrivation with in the 60s.

fallbreaks likes this.
  21. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I'm sure it's asking too much but there's a handful of Notorious Byrd Brothers songs that would sit well here, too, like Wasn't Born to Follow, Old John Robertson, and maybe Get to You. And since I'm asking too much, I'd love to hear Chris and Roger do Sin City.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Old John Robertson quite likely as it is on Chris's 2017 CD. Also Bells of Rhymney and She Don't Care About Time. I would also bet on the originals Hillman wrote for the Byrds, 8 Miles High which he regularly covers, and Turn Turn Turn as he regularly says since finding religion thst he is so glad to have one of the most famous songs in his repertoire be one with a lyric from the bible. Rock & Roll Star being a Hillman McGuinn composition is also quite likely. Roger's Mr Spaceman would fit naturally with the Country theme. And they won't skip Tambourine Man.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Without a doubt.

24. Marty is infatuated with the Byrds

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.