Syd Barrett Upcoming Releases *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RAZORMADE, Oct 4, 2020.

1. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

It's no different to Eddie Kramer copy & pasting Hendrix material and no one seems to care.. I guess.

Pretty old article, Dave is getting long in the tooth he better get on with it.

phillyal1, Lownote30 and mando_dan like this.
  2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

There is no any point in "embellishing" old Syd tapes. It's raw and simple and should remain that way. No one had though about embellishing Dylan released takes like Blowin' In The Wind or Masters Of War with bass overdubs or orchestra on top of it. I'm in for complete remixing of both solo albums thought - but no modern overdubs please.

Chris M, croquetlawns and asdf35 like this.
  3. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

The Opel album desperately needs remixing too, to get rid of that excessive reverb.

4. hallucalation

At least there's a bootleg mixes of that stuff out there without it.

5. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

If he was just talking about cutting and pasting alternate takes or polishing an unreleased song or two in the same fashion it's not really that big a deal, we had Kramer lifting vocals from different takes of Hendrix material.

Rooster_Ties and croquetlawns like this.
  6. hallucalation

But turns out in the end he overdubbed his bass on Here I Go.

7. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Or just release both versions.

Runicen and croquetlawns like this.
  8. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Yea but it was on a compilation who cares

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Got a copy of the lyrics book in the mail today. I'm aware of all the shortcomings, but I'm very happy to have this. It's in a hardback, for some reason I thought the pictures were showing a paperback. I flipped around and the lyric spot-checks seem to be well. No doubt there will be questions, but this is the Syd Barrett lyric reference book I always wanted.

10. hallucalation

There's no other ways to release rare stuff today. Either compilation or expensive box set. The days of releases like Opel are long over.
    But release of those tapes ain't gonna happen anyway.

asdf35 likes this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Lime and limpet green....I always assumed it was limpid green, although neither of those words are in my usual vocabulary.

Elsewhere, we have Lucifer Sam "padding" around on the ground as he should be. Lyric sites, as well as the Piper 50th booklet, have the cat hiding or playing on the ground.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The lyric is LIMPID green. This is Limpet green.

[​IMG]

13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Chapman and/or Gilmour have taken the Limpet route. It was new to me....I'll reference Chapman's other Syd book later, betcha he quotes "limpid" in there.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The definition of each word makes it obvious which is correct.

marmalade166 and asdf35 like this.
  15. APH

APH Forum Resident

Not a music club, Strawberry Fair is a one day event on Midsummer Common, free to enter, first Saturday in June.

16. APH

APH Forum Resident

Firstly, I never said it was a music club.
    Second, if you are going to accuse me of lying, at least address me directly.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

The Limpet/Limpid thing is really curious. I'm prepared to be wrong, no problem with that. Both words are very similar in sound, you couldn't tell the difference if you were lip reading. I'm not aware of any official lyrics (besides the Piper 50th booklet, of which I've noticed other errors in the text). Gilmour himself sang "Astronomy Domine" countless times. Maybe he always thought it was limpet and sang that! But surely Chapman would be aware of 50 years of Limpid use and make a notation between the two words, as he did with Madcap/Madcat. This isn't a typo, but a deliberate choice. Limpid makes more sense due to it referring to a state of visual perception, with limpet being a mollusk - but I can see either word being appropriate for the poetry of the song. I prefer limpid and believe that is what Syd used. Dave? Maybe more of a limpet guy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    NunoBento and Lost In The Flood like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's actually pretty straight forward. As stated earlier the definition of each word makes it clearly obvious. WTF is "limpet green"? Limpid green refers to the icy waters mentioned in the same verse. Limpid is a water reference. A limpet is a mollusk (and they aren't green).

19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Yeah I get it, but why would Gilmour and Chapman sign off on it without notation? I kinda disagree about anything being obvious in regards to a Syd lyric! All my google searches for "limpid green" revert back to references to the song, limpid isn't commonly used in any area. I hear limpid and believe it is limpid. I'm just thinking out loud about the book's editorial decision.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Books have been getting lyrics wrong forever. And still are.

21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Limpet-Shells-100-1171-100/dp/B07C64PSV8

Lownote30, JayDeeEss and asdf35 like this.
  22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Where was the reissue of "Introduction" confirmed? I just got the original vinyl a few weeks back and it was a pain to find.

23. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Rob Chapman talks about the new lyric book on the latest podcast of The Bureau of Lost Culture.

I haven’t listened to it yet, so can’t comment on the content.

asdf35 likes this.
  24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

This is all pretty disappointing. If they got this wrong imagine what other errors there are. Barrett kept a book of all his lyrics neatly typed. He talks about it in his Rolling Stone interview. I'll bet it was discovered after his death and that his family has it. I'm wondering if the authors even bothered to ask about it. I bought the book especially to get clarity on some of the obscure, hard to decipher later lyrics. Sounds like they only used vocal tracks and not printed material.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Dude, Rob Chapman is the number one fan and authority on Syd. If he didn't get to see the typed book, then there isn't one.

bhazen likes this.