Syd Barrett Upcoming Releases *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RAZORMADE, Oct 4, 2020.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Are you referring to Charlie Gilmour?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. I will take your word for it, I just clicked play. Like watching a pharmaceutical ad for tardive dyskinesia. Nothing personal, I love DG.

sharedon likes this.
  3. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Or riffing his knickers, for that matter.

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I bought Opel on cassette when it came out. It still has my favorite version of Octopus.

5. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark... Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, Syd! Shine On! :love:

6. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Really...? You mean the photos of an incredibly ordinary looking middle aged man doing his shopping?

RAZORMADE, rontoon and zobalob like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Because you can easily psychoanalyze a person and judge their lifestyle from a few random, candid photos. :sigh:

8. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Does anyone know what sessions Rhamadan was recorded? Is it a Pink Floyd song?

9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

what became the Madcap Laughs sessions under Peter Jenner before Waters and Gilmour... not a Floyd tune...

10. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Recorded May 14, 1968, early TML sessions

croquetlawns and marmalade166 like this.
  11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

That wasn't even Madcap Laughs. I think the official sessions for ML album, as it came out, started in April 1969. The initial plan for 1968 sessions was that Syd would work on existing unreleased Floyd material from 1967. That plan was abandoned and he started to work on chaotic originals and instrumentals which lead to nothing. He started from scratch in 1969 with new producer.

I prefer to think of 1968 sessions as a separate project.

12. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

When I wrote the date I kinda thought to myself it was early for madcap. Thanks for the clarification

13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think the backing track from Late Night survived from the 68 Jenner sessions

14. hallucalation

Yes, only that.

15. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Curious to see if any '68 sessions are a part of the new Syd doc. Wasn't Late Night recorded just a month or two after being kicked out of Pink Floyd? Spring '68? And that was tacked on to the end of Madcap.

Any word on the documentary in general? A soundtrack with unreleased solo and PF material would be amazing.

At very least, his BBC session should be remixed and released on vinyl, imo.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

In any case, it's Nick Mason's ad-lib. Syd doesn't sing it on any of the extant live versions (including BBC) ~ just, "Watching the telly till all hours." So I wouldn't have expected they'd include it as a Syd lyric.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. StarsCanFrighten

StarsCanFrighten Forum Resident

There's a premiere of Have You Got it Yet? in London on Thursday. I didn't get an invite :(

Apparently Roddy has licensed all of the early Floyd and solo Barrett catalogs for use in the documentary.

croquetlawns and RAZORMADE like this.
  18. Maybe you just didn’t get it yet.

19. hallucalation

Remixed from...what?

Cimrya Deal likes this.
  20. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark... Thread Starter

21. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

The BBC didn't record their sessions to multitrack in the 60s/70s.... (I'm not even sure it is the case nowadays)

22. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

The "Working on existing unreleased Pink Floyd material" bit intrigues me - did they go as far as pulling out the old Vegetable Man/Scream Thy Last Scream tapes for this?

It's an interesting possibility that those might have been released on a (late) 1968
    Syd solo debut album.

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Modern tech has already fixed that issue. Demixing software has already been used to remix all the PF BBC sessions in stereo from better sources then Floyd put out on the EY set.

You can get very clean and discrete instrument and vocal tracks out of them with very little effort.

Right now only about 4-6 BBC tracks could use a source upgrade the rest is pretty much A+ perfect and even those that could use an upgrade still sound much better then previous sources.

The Syd Peel sessions have also had this done with great results as that release sounded good but was also only mono remixing thing like this where you do not have the multi tracks is getting very easy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  24. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I bought this comp when it first came out, and it’s really a wonderful collection, and it sounds great too. For those who didn’t pick it up back then, they should definitely add this to their music collection. Some nice rarities include as well.

TommyTunes likes this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yes, Veg Man and Scream were both pulled and mixed for this never realized project in 1974. Those mixes circulate widely on bootleg and imo are vastly superior to the 2010 mixes on EY, especially Vegetable Man. Sadly, the Random Precision book says this tape of the 1974 mixes is missing.

Tristero, croquetlawns and Buddybud like this.