Syd Barrett Upcoming Releases *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RAZORMADE, Oct 4, 2020.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

If there are unpublished lyrics to songs he never recorded or released, I'd like an album produced in the style of Wilco/Billy Bragg's Mermaid Avenue that set new music to unreleased Woody Guthrie lyrics.

I think it would also be interesting if they can isolate Syd's vocals to give a selection of Syd vocal tracks to other artists to create new music backing to them.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I suppose there could be an official release of his 1974 sessions, though there’s nothing worthwhile there.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Give those unreleased lyrics to Nick Mason's Saucers! Gold!!

4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Why did they use garbage sources?

5. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Well you've convinced me....:agree:

goodiesguy, bagstiv, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Make this happen. :thumbsup:

goodiesguy, bagstiv, AllenB and 6 others like this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Make this happen. :thumbsup:

goodiesguy, bagstiv, zobalob and 5 others like this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think if there were unpublished lyrics, Robyn Hitchcock would have made that album already...

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I look forward to the 2021 lyric book.

There was a comment in the press release that there will be some kind of surprise. Not sure what to make of that, but I hope it is something substantial and not just a Mad Cat.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Also looking forward to the lyric book. It says in the description that it features 56 songs. Haven't done the math, but anyone know how many Barrett penned songs have been officially released?

11. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Love Syds Floyd work and his solo material. Happy something is on it's way.

12. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

You make a compelling argument for a deluxe Saucerful of Secrets set. The good thing is that - unlike the Piper sessions ' there seems to be an abundance of post-Piper sessions (especially session tapes) in the archive to draw from.

Good time to do it, now Nick Mason's band has been drawing attention to pre-Dark Side tracks..

goodiesguy, zobalob, Runicen and 4 others like this.
  13. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

As I understand it, the lyric book will be the lyrics only with a preface by David Gilmour.

What about interpretations and analysis of each song? Or Syd’s own explanations, where available?

Seems like it will be another missed opportunity by the Floyd camp.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Time to let Syd rest in peace. He has his legacy. He was hounded in life, a sad and reclusive man
    None of what you mention is of any significance artistically. It would have been released long ago if it was. The 'Floyd Camp' at least take his legacy seriously. You would buy his 'canned farts' if you could.

15. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

They didn't realise a better source had surfaced, found by bootleggers, and used a copy of inferior quality.

goodiesguy and Lost In The Flood like this.
  16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

They went to the multitracks and listened to the isolated vocal to get particular words correct.

17. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Thinking back to the Early Years thread, I believe the Floyd camp were made aware of better quality source material during the compilation of the box set, but opted not to use it. Calling @rontoon !

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This of course should already have happened in 2008, a year after the deluxe Piper 3cd set.

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sorry to disagree, but the last thing i’d want is some (probably) poorly appointed idiot interpreting his lyrics on our behalf. I’d be very happy with the lyric book on its own terms.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What makes you think the bbc session masters exist?

Is there really 3-4 CDs of saucerful material actually featuring Syd?

But the other Syd-era stuff, yes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I'm curious, how does all this stuff exist, but the multitrack masters for Piper are supposedly missing?

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Hoping for a reissue of Syd's BBC tracks last reissued on the Strange Fruit label release "The Radio One Sessions" back in 2OO4.

phillyal1 and marigoldilemma like this.
  23. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I guess you've heard all of that? What's your opinion based upon? Did expanded Delicate Sound Of Thunder have more artistical merit so they reissuing this now instead of 1967 BBC sessions in master tape quality or Reaction In G? Very interesting. Please enlighten us.

I see how seriously Floyd Camp take his legacy with all the amazing research they did on this subject over the years. None of you talking about holds any truth. Especially a bit about "it would have been released long ago"..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  24. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

They were given contacts of the person who have BBC tapes. They did not follow it. Instead they grabbed the most horrible sounding copies from 80's bootlegs and put it officially. One track is incomplete, Flaming is taken from mp3 file, the rest is all off-air garbage which was floating around since 80's. If they grabbed from the bootlegs, they could at least source newest boots with longer tracks and much better sound.

Not all of Saucerful material features Syd, he is not on recording sessions from January to May 68. But a deluxe with everything would be absolutely essential release. The sessions started in August with one band and ended in May with another. Most of the session tapes are still exist. They could also remix album from the scratch to get rid of that muddy sound and put Mono mix on CD finally. Add a big book, slap a 100$ price - it would sell like hot cakes.

25. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

I can't tell you how much I want that. The rest sounds great, but an expanded edition of one of my favourite albums ever would be incredible.
    Original mix is awesome, but I'd probably still listen to a remix.