Syd Barrett Upcoming Releases *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RAZORMADE, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's infuriating that PF continue to release these piecemeal, half-assed sets when they could get someone who knows what he's doing (like Andrew Sandoval) and put together a definitive Syd Barrett era Floyd box.

I mean seriously:

Piper mono/stereo
    Saucerful mono/stereo
    Singles mono/stereo (where applicable)
    Early demos/Outtakes/early mono mixes/John Latham
    BBC sessions
    Live show from Early Years (mastered properly)

That would make an amazing box.

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Remember a Day/Let There Be More Light was a single. Both in edited form.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Having no access or control, I have no choice but to be optimistic....

The new Syd Lyric book + the Definitive Visual coming in paperback is notable. Also, Nick Mason's Saucerful tour - a total vintage PF trip, and a total success - should be an indication of interest. There's also that newly found 1967 acetate with (most likely) PF instrumentation. Hopefully it causes a disturbance in PF archiveland.

croquetlawns likes this.
  4. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

In US and as legit as any Capitol Beatles single.

Chris M likes this.
  5. hallucalation

It's indeed causes disturbance but not in a good way

asdf35 likes this.
  6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Going through his titles now I come up with 50 with lyrics.

croquetlawns and shadow blaster like this.
  7. KevinStewart

KevinStewart Active Member

Its 17 CDRs of outdated noise reduced garbage

goodiesguy, ARK and hallucalation like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

While this was your very first message, welcome to the forums!^^

ARK and bhazen like this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Look on the bright side -- he's got nowhere to go but up!

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Am I right in thinking that Syd's BBC sessions are unavailable on CD? ...

croquetlawns likes this.
  11. I mostly agree, by and large.

It’s certainly about as interesting (and genuinely good, if not great) as the John Latham recordings.

And I say that as someone who genuinely likes the Latham Floyd material from time to time.

Barrett’s solo “Rhamadan”, the John Latham Floyd material, and the London 66/67 material (i.e. the original recording of “I/O” and “Nick’s Boogie”) — are all mutually complimentary, in my mind.

IMHO: By and large, most rock (non-jazz) players from that era leave a LOT to be desired in terms of ‘free improv’ music — especially in studio contexts (can’t say that enough, IN STUDIO CONTEXTS, sans any sort of audience).

But Floyd and Barrett seemed to know what they were doing, for the most part, and repeated exposure to the matrix only reveals more depth to their attempts at ‘free’ — despite some of their limitations.

12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

footlooseman, croquetlawns and bhazen like this.
  13. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

I don't know if the '70 session is in print, but it was reissued multiple times, so probably not difficult to find.

The '71 session, which I prefer, was released only once, in substandard quality on The Radio One Sessions.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks. I'll try again online, a few years ago there was bupkis.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

reiteration :

they could get the best mileage reissuing "An Introduction .. " with companion disc of the Radio One Sessions , bringing together all of the rarer material on a 2disc set

16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Well, that sort of goes to show the perceived narrative isn't the full story.

I do think it's a shame they didn't finish the second album with Syd, along with the 'darker'* songs he was creating alongside the other members' written songs. As it is, my guess is that "Jugband Blues" was only added as it had already been released, effectively, as that promo film was meant as a "Best of British" promo for overseas, so had already had a limited amount of circulation - movie supporting feature, something like that.

* Darker than the first album, that is.

18. hallucalation

I threw entire series away when i cleaned up my cd-r collection with boots. Fake stereo, noise redaction, edited tracks to fit on CD-R. It must had been cool to get 20 years ago. Now it should be rightly retired.

goodiesguy and KevinStewart like this.
  19. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Apparently the 'makers' of HYGIY are working on a new version, but it is for Barrett anoraks only.

20. hallucalation

It would be just grabbing everything from Y... and other circulating sources and do their usual EQ processing. I have no interest in that.

goodiesguy and KevinStewart like this.
  21. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

To be fair the makers of HYGIY did unearth a few goodies including that 'In The Beechwoods'/'Vegetable Man jam' tape and the full version of the BBC rendition of 'Pow R. Toc H.' They didn't sit on them either like some collectors do, they put them out as soon as they could.

22. Crimson Witch

bump

thread dropped to page 14 since this morning

wonder if anyone ever thought to create some Floyd/Barrett mash-ups à la Beatles 'Love', using elements from early to mid-period post-Barrett Floyd mixed with Syd solo (?) you think there would be some traction with a project like that

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No.

croquetlawns and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. Crimson Witch

can certainly appreciate resistance to tampering that way finding myself on the fence - on one hand its sounds like abomination but so did Beatles Love on some level then again if done skillfully (not saying all of Love works that well in a purely musical context though some of it does) a Floyd/ Barrett project of this kind might have more going for it considering there is far greater number of possibilities open to explore that would not be limited to gimmicky contrivance the way some of the Beatles mash did like 'Drive My Car' / 'The Word' / 'What You're Doing' track as example of the latter

bhazen and rnranimal like this.
  25. KevinStewart

KevinStewart Active Member

Name one good thing that isn't better somewhere else on HYGIY. And there always was better it was just hoarded.