Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

LOVE that 'top-hat' !
    Reminds me of my precious RESIDENTS!
    [​IMG]

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

4. mjmatrixfreak

mjmatrixfreak Forum Resident

right it's not on the 3" and 5" CD of Smooth Criminal(DIDP 071233) but it appears on the shortly before released "The Bad Mixes" Special radio promo CD(DIDP 071088)

5. mjmatrixfreak

mjmatrixfreak Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    small but still on the CD/3LP release of Michael Jackson's "History" on 16th of June 1995!

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Looks like no one on these boards actually knows the answer. Noooooooooo!!!

no.nine likes this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well scientific knowledge doesn't increase in a straight line. :cry:
    But remember that ruling out possible explanations is advancing knowledge even if not as useful as defining the correct answer. Ten years of thread has successfully ruled out a number of reasonable hypotheses.:righton:

For myself I think the symbol was a corporate logo indicating a joint venture by CBS and Sony for the US market. The time period of the logo 1985-1994 almost precisely covers the time that CBS and Sony started joint production for US media and the final takeover of CBS in 1992. Only a few CBS/Sony CDs with the symbol were issued after 1992.There was only one non CBS CD with the symbol manufactured by CBS/Sony and that may well be a onetime goof.

elvissinatra and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I agree. :righton:

There is also the question of seven-inch singles. That one still bugs me.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

It's from Gravity Falls dude, it's a nice little nod to the Residents.

[​IMG]

I always wondered what that mystery symbol meant, I'm surprised some conspiracy theorist hasn't brought up the Illuminati yet, oh yeah they have.

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  10. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Alcoholics Anonymous logo looks just like these.

11. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Just to re-clarify though, the triangle points down.

12. Except that CBS/Sony Records, a local joint venture of their Japanese record label arms CBS Records Japan and Sony Corp/Sony Records, was the original force behind Digital Audio Disc Corp. in Indiana with CBS Records US arm's blessing originally. The rest of CBS Records' US media operations were not part of or related to CBS/Sony Records or Sony Corp. until Sony Corp. bought CBS Records from CBS Inc. years later.

This symbol is on CDs (including ones NOT pressed at Sony or CBS affiliated plants like JVC, Denon, Shape, etc.), cassettes, and LPs, which produced at CBS plants, not Sony related during the time.

My guess is that is has something to do with distribution and returns. is the symbol on Chrysalis CDs in the USA (with the VK series cat nos.) or on cassettes or LPs? These were mfg and distributed by CBS then.

Is it on all Canadian issue CBS discs? I have seen a few that are, but they were made in USA by DADC and only the inserts were unique to Canada, the disc was the same as USA.

Is it on Canadian discs from Canadian Columbia House? Are they even different than retail. I have seen the discs from US BMG club with the symbol, despite the BMG barcode and markings.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

A lot of this has been discussed upthread. The Sony involvement with CBS on digital audio in the US was more than DADC. The corporate takeover was only finalized by 1992 but it was agreed to officially in mid 88 and discussed prior to that. Sony and Philips controlled digital in that early time period and Sony involvement could be in digital recording, mixing, mastering and CD production. The symbol was very similar to an early 80s Sony digital audio logo.

No, Canada made CDs don't have the symbol, but Japanese made CDs intended for the US market do.

The connection with returns was pretty much ruled out upstream in this thread by people who worked at CBS in this time period.

14. Makes sense, however, the symbol started in 1985 or 1986 on all formats, so this precedes the Sony financial takeover. Interesting about it ending the use of it around the time the deal was finalized - which is maybe a clue.

15. Gems-A-Bems

Notice anything in the title of this compilation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, but the last copyright date on the label is 1989.

17. Gems-A-Bems

My point was that the zero was the symbol

numer9 likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think that's just a coincidence. The 7 is similarly shaped.

It's quite a funny coincidence though in terms of this thread.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Nostaljack likes this.
  19. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yeah, I notice they they made a mistake on the label.

I fixed it:

[​IMG]

20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

We may be no closer to a definitive answer, but when things like that LP cover pop up it makes me think there might still be some obvious clues floating out there that we haven't discovered yet. Nice find!

Galley, Gems-A-Bems and c-eling like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe it could mean 'microgroove' for LPs, and 'laser reading' for CD.^^
    In the end I suppose the company just wanted to print something on labels so people could speculate but the thing actually has no specific meaning.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I may be wrong, but, wasn't the 'symbol' ONLY on Side One's of cassettes and LP's?

23. Gems-A-Bems

Almost always.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Looks like. What if it could be an identification for 'this label goes to side A' or something?