System improvement - please advise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Hey guys my bday is getting nearer and I wanna do myself a favour and upgrade my system a little regarding records listening.

My budget is around $700.

Speakers, cables, amplifier, preamps (to get a little taste of tubes), cartridges, I don't know.

Please advice me some upgrades within the budget to get noticible improvement/difference.

Here's what I've got:

• Turntables: TECHNICS SL-1310, Audio-Technica LP120 USB (internal stereo phono pre-amplifier has been bypassed)

• Cartridges: Technics EPC-270C (a. EPS-270ED, b. Tonar Diabolic E), Ortofon Concorde MKII Club, Nagaoka MP-110 mounted on Jelco HS-25 Headshell (Black); 2 x AT95E/BL mounted on Audio-Technica Headshell , AT95EX mounted on Audio-Technica Headshell

• Pre Amplifiers: Rega Fono MM MK3; Cambridge Audio 651 P

• Amplification: NAD C 356BEE

• Speaker System: Speakers A: Dali Concept 2; Speakers B: Dali Zensor 1; Subwoofer: Rel T5

• Speaker Cables: Speakers A and B: Procab LS25

• Interconnects: original Audio-Technica LP120 USB cables; regular cables

Thank you, Adam

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What aren't you happy with? Your system looks pretty well balanced to me. I would suggest you upgrade your interconnects, but I doubt you will get what you are looking for. I would do this if you have any leftover budget. I don't spend too much on this myself. I just go with bargains I find with close outs.

I would probably recommend looking at a phono stage that you could change the loadings to match your various cartridges. A Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2+. I just bought one off eBay for $750, but I used a 15% off coupon that knocked the price down to the max of $100 to $650. I'm not sure how hard these are to get out of the US. Musical Surroundings is actually more of an importer into the US.

Is that something you would be interested in?

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

I am more than satisfied with it, just wanted to upgrade it a little. Actually when I think about improvements my thoughts lean towards checking some of that tube sound, maybe one of those hybrids:

1. Tube Box S
    2. Tube Box S2
    3. Tube Box DS
    4. Tube Box DS2

A Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2+ is a solid state isn't it?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Adam,
    I had the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS when I had a (NAD) solid state amplifier and it really sounded great, an improvement so good that I eventually bought a tube amplifier.
    Huge sound stage, 3-dimensional, really nice sound. It will also support low output MC cartridges in the future, another excellent upgrade from the cartridges in your collection.

mike catucci and DoF like this.
  5. DoF

Tony, great news. We're taking this beauty, right?

[​IMG]
    Can you say a bit more on DS - NAD cooperation? Since DS is a hybrid do those tubes work or rather are for looks there? Do they make a difference? I would like to roll them in the future. Do you have any particular MC carts on your mind? I like AT sound, a little bit of brightness.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Looks like a well balanced system to me too. I suppose any real upgrade for this system would demand more than $700.

7. DoF

Thanks, not much room for improvment but tube preamp (hybrid) seems like an interesting option.

8. avanti1960

yes sir!

DoF likes this.
  9. avanti1960

the tubes work- they add depth and spaciousness to the sound as well as more reaslism to the midrange- especially horns, electric guitars, etc. if you are a pink floyd fan, listen to david gilmour's guitar soar out into 3D space on the song "what do you want from me" . i heard that song on the TBDS and I was hooked on tubes for life....

with respect to tube rolling- removing the tubes on this chassis is a real pain- there isn't much tube to grip on to- i wound up using a silicone rubber piece cut from a kitchen measuring cup to grip the tube. that said i rolled in all sorts of new and NOS tubes but the original Tong Sols always sounded the best. other tubes made it sound like it was always missing something to my ears.

10. DoF

Thank you, Tony. Seems like a reasonable upgrade option in my situation?

Mike from NYC and avanti1960 like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Not much room for improvement with such a good rig with 700 bucks man. Except you absolutely need a second TT (or it's part of a secondary system) you could maybe upgrade te AT to a better one. Or, if you also use headphones, perhaps upgrade them. Or getting a DAC. I personally would spend that dough on music, or anyhting else you like.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. DoF

I got a second TT - it's Technics SL-1310 :) got headphones too - Audio-Technica ATH-M40X

13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I believe at this point I would concentrate on improving what you already have. Perhaps some nice upgraded headshell leads, interconnects, and treaments/contact enhancers for these. Also maybe consider a power conditioner of some sort.

Doctor Fine and DoF like this.
  14. DoF

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but more towards True Online UPS. Thank you!

BrentB likes this.
  15. DoF

I bought Tube Box DS, brand new at a bargain price of $340.00 (shipment included).

Do tubes need to be broken in before use? If so how long and how? Thanks, Adam.

16. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

The Tube Box was a great suggestion. Your system is pretty good as is so makes sense to give the tube sound a try. And I can confirm 100% what avanti said, keep the stock tubes, they sound the best. I purchased a couple sets of tubes to swap in the DS. It is a PITA to get the old tubes out and the new pairs never sounded as good as the stock ones. Enjoy your new toy! Oh and understand, if you like the tube sound you hear from the DS, it only gets better from there. Consider this your first car and it is a Hyundai Elantra. Nothing wrong with the Elantra, a great car that works well. I have one for the wife. However there are some Corvettes, Cadillac's and Ferrari's waiting for you with much higher price tags but way better tube goodness!

Dan Steele, SandAndGlass and DoF like this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Am I seeing this right, Tube Box DS (200 bones cheaper) at Turntable Lab than anyone else?

DoF likes this.
  18. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I got mine at Music Direct for half the cost after the new model was released. I believe they still have some there for 399.00 versus 700.00

SandAndGlass, Manimal and DoF like this.
  19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You have a good system as is. Perhaps a VM540ML cartridge is an improvement. Used Revel M22 speakers are excellent, but your speakers are fairly good too.

Manimal, DoF and bwalk63 like this.
  20. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

Upgrading your speakers will yield the most improvement in sound.

Mike from NYC, Manimal and DoF like this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea, I gotta go with this.

Mike from NYC and DoF like this.
  22. DoF

Good idea, but my room is small, it's 2,6 x 2,5.

I have:

A) Dali Zensor 1 as front speakers, and

B) Dali Concept 2 as back speakers

They hang in the corners of the room.

[​IMG]

One of back speakers hangs on the wall made of gypsum board, so don't wanna put more weight there. Speaker mounts can hold 25 kg max. I don't know how can I improve the spekers system in this situation? I might change front speakers for taller ones, and back ones for about same weight. Advise :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  23. DoF

I paid even less: $340.00 with shipment :) When I asked why it's so cheap they said because the new model was released.

24. DoF

What do you think about Klipsch RP-160M or JBL Studio 530 or Dali Zensor 3 ?

25. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

More records...your system looks fine to me.

DoF and mike catucci like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.