System Upgrade - What Next?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I've always heard speakers should be one key investment of any system, that sometimes is overlooked as an afterthought after heavy investments in the source and no amplification. The question to you all, and without the benefit of a hearing: what would be the "weakest link" you would upgrade in the system below so as to end with a balanced one?

The System:
    TT: Technics SL-D303 (w/ Shure M75ED Type 2)
    CDP: Yamaha CD-S300
    Amp: Technics SU-500 (40 watts per channel into 8Ω)
    Speakers: Misson 731 (8 Ohm, Amp power: 25 - 75 watts per speaker, sensitivity 92db)

Views, specific or general, most welcomed!

Thank you
    Floyd

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You'll get many different opinions but here's how I'd do it.

Upgrade the amp first, speakers 2nd, and the rest at your leisure.

h46e55x, BigGame, 808_state and 3 others like this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Can’t really answer- what don’t you like about as is? What are your long term plans?

For me when I had a similar setup - I wanted to look into tubes - did that and my route completely changed.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

So I see you made a decision from one of your other threads on one component!!!!! :) Congrats on that, hope you enjoy it.

So at least I know your threads end up in a result / choice, makes helping you a little easier......... oh, that is right, you are the OP that does the thorough / excellent analysis!! :)

George P and Big Blue like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

To clarify, you want to upgrade one of these to make the whole system balanced, not looking onward to other upgrades? Or are you looking to keep things moving upward over the years?

I would probably look at amps with more power (and newer, as I would assume yours is getting up there in age). How nice you go with that really depends on whether you truly are looking to stand pat with just one component upgrade, or whether you want to actually future-proof a bit against other upgrades you may make in the foreseeable future. If you’re going to end up upgrading everything eventually, it makes more sense to me to at least slightly outclass the rest of your gear so you’re still OK with that piece as you make other changes.

6. FloydVivino

Thank you, still waiting for it - they had only the black version available. Otherwise, see? No "paralysis of analysis" here. Let's just say I'm not the impulsive kind when it comes to buying multi-hundred euro toys ;) - and also, as most of us, have better things to do than trolling about ;).

And trust me, the best thing I did was getting the collective, sometimes contradictive, input from many sides in a matter I'm clearly no expert. Thanks!

SO.... this time around, no different - even if this is a less urgent purchase. This is more a chance to learn and have a better notion from which end my "next toy" should come from.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. FloydVivino

That's precisely what's intended. There will be many contradictive opinions, but that's good, better even if people state their reasoning.

So one vote for "Amp First".

Feel free to add suggestions, if you can think of any. One I came across was the Yamaha R-S202D. Or maybe a reasonably-priced 70s vintage receivers, if there are any left (I confess my soft spot, but the prices!...).

Thanks!

8. FloydVivino

Answering your question, more of the former than the latter, i.e., more inclined in balancing up the current system but leaving a bit of leeway ("slightly outclass the rest of the system") for future upgrade of, say, speakers. My room is a small apartment room, so no great power required (allowed!), yet that's a good point, balancing the system but upgrading the amp into one more future proof.

On this premise, as one might say I can't upgrade Amp without upgrading speakers that only yake up to 75 WPS, another vote for "Amp First".

Same note as before: feel free to add suggestions, if you can think of any. One I came across was the Yamaha R-S202D. Or maybe a reasonably-priced 70s vintage receivers, if there are any left (I confess my soft spot, but the prices!...).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  9. FloydVivino

If you see responses to other comments you might get a feeling. Don't want to go too far as I'm just starting. Firstly to balance the system; if given source and speakers a better amp is in order; or, if given source and amp, speakers upgrade would be good, or . I like these Mission and they can stand up to 75 WPC, still some might differ.

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I hope it works out and you enjoy it!

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Mission’s are nice speakers. I’d think twice about changing them for the sake of it.

12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I'm thinking a pair of those strange trident stand things you place in the room to allegedly break up standing waves. :-plnktn-:

They probably actually work but sorry I couldn't resist...:winkgrin:

...but seriously like Strat said, amp first/next. You could try to find some pre/amp separates and see where that takes you. Vintage Technics, Yamaha & Denon are all great choices (yup, Japanophile here). If you're really enjoying what you have then I'd say
    probably best to audition a friend's or other's setup before spending any more dough.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I am under the impression you can use an amp above the listend handling range of a speaker. However, there are amps under 75wpc that would likely be an improvement over what you have. 75 watts is actually a lot more than 40 watts in amplification.

14. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

If You ask me
    I don't know how your system sound in your room but looking general on components you had listed I would go this way:

1 Amp
    2 Speakers

These two need to be in love :)

15. FloydVivino

That was one thing at the back of my mind. Looking at the amp I'd mentioned, the Yamaha R-S202D - to pair it with the CPD of the same making, I had noticed its 100W p/c into 8ohms - and this the lowest of their series I think. No rush, let me research into this more.

Otherwise THANKS EVERYONE, I think there's a consensus around Amp first, give these little Missions are good and do sound better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.