T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Just want to add my 2 cents. On top of great mastering, the cover is really high quality, glossy tip-on gatefold. Very similar to Music Matters, no barcodes, high quality. At that price, it is a total steal!!!

2. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

high quality photos/illustrations I meant.

3. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

These territorial differences are hilarious, super tough to find this in Germany but two randomly picked stores in Brooklyn both had it for around $25. Needless to say that I picked one up, the sleeve alone is superb. Not your usual blown up, oversaturated job but a great replica that looks so much better than it's current EU counterparts. So great to see this without the overtly familiar ringwear and rubbing. Can't wait to spin it! :righton:

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The EU copies are usually cheap knock offs by comparison for most things so im used to importing from the US!

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Grabbed my sealed copy in our classifieds the other day, in 4 minutes ! :sweating:

rednedtugent likes this.
  7. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

Hate to take a short cut here but does anyone know if they will release The Slider (Kevin Gray) or what issue should I grab that will do this album justice?

I picked up the Kevin Gray Rocktober issue, and I was blown away. Sounds so good.....

Have to admit, for some reason took me 47 long years to finally buy this and I am obsessed with it now. Sad, yes. But on the other hand it is brand new to me.

Groggy, Crazyhorse11, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  8. Myke

Same boat here. Always loved Bang A Gong (Get It On), but never cared to own the album, until 8 years ago, when I bought a copy in our classifieds. Still didn't care for it, and never reached for it.
    Then this version started getting praised highly, so when a sealed copy came up in the classifieds, I gave it another chance. Now I can't stop playing it ! :buttkick: This isn't the first time that superior SQ changed my mind. I have several other examples.

SirMarc and zenarrow like this.
  9. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I believe, it is still available from importcds.com for a very good price (I bought my copy from them last autumn):
    T. Rex Electric Warrior on ImportCDs

They have very reasonable shipping costs to Europe for LPs (and they ship to EU customers via the
    UK, so that normally no custom duties will apply - delivery normally takes some time though).

Get it while you can - it is indeed a splendid re-issue!

10. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

Same goes for the Roxy Music studio box set, CD box. Again, never gave this band a second thought, but reviews of best music always seemed to swing around to them.

I cannot believe how good Electric Warrior sounds on my system. Thankfully I had the volume up way high when I put it on. Everytime I have listened to it it is about 11 o'clock on my volume dial, which is pushing the limits.

11. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

I was hoping to find a great "The Slider" lp. Any, ideas on that?

12. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Seemingly there is a re-issue of "The slider" issued in 2013 remastered by Tony Visconti which is still
    available from a number of online retailers:
    T. Rex - The Slider

I haven't heard it though, so I cannot comment on quality / sound. Maybe better to hunt down
    an original pressing.

zenarrow likes this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I finally found an original Reprise last week in real nice shape for a good deal. It's cool but I don't like it quite as much as this reissue.

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Never owned a copy either and just know the standout songs, my local has a copy of the new reissue and will be picking this up thank you for the info, this LP will be new to me as well and I look forward to it.

rednedtugent, Myke and zenarrow like this.
  15. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Just picked this up at a local store. So good I'm on my third listen.:edthumbs:

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So nobody knows what tapes were used? And does it top the very expensive UK originals? And does anyone care?

17. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Cut "somehow" by Kevin Gray from the original analog tapes.
    Just get it if you like vinyl.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yes. Don’t question it. Just buy it! It sounds fantastic.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where did you read this?

20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

See that photo from page 27. It’s cut by Kevin Gray from the original analog master.

superstar19 and rednedtugent like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Wow! Demo disk quality sound.

Folks grab this one!

GentleSenator and CBackley like this.
  22. edz2070

edz2070 Member

It sounds fantastic! It’s dead quiet.

23. edz2070

edz2070 Member

The 2012/2013 The Slider remaster by Tony Visconti on vinyl is pretty good. Not as good as the UK first press on T.Rex EMI label. I’ve compared them the remaster seems to have more “punchy” bass and the voices seems to be a bit louder . I believe it’s cut from a digital source. The original UK sounds more natural and has a better soundstage.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

I heard the digital version on Spotify and liked it a lot. It may not be the most dynamic mastering of this album, but the EQ is good. It leaves the character of the recording intact while being neither muddy nor thin sounding.

pinkrudy and Leonthepro like this.
  25. Myke

Never liked the album as much as I do now. Kevin Gray is a genius.