T. Rex - Electric Warrior (MoFi)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jmac2043, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Jmac2043

Jmac2043 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all, anyone else get the 2020 music direct catalogue and notice the T. Rex album on the back cover? I was super pumped at the prospect of Mobile Fidelity pressing this iconic album, but, can't find any info. I shot an email to them, but, does anyone already have the skinny?

zboski, Scratcha and pauleyh like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I can be of no help to you at all in this regard but here's the " skinny ' on how I got this album when it came out....
    This guy I knew bought the album based on the cover alone. He thought it was going to be some really heavy shredding and ****. You know ' Electric Warrior' !!!
    He was so disappointed. I thought it was great as it was and took it off his hands for a slightly lower price.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. Jmac2043

Jmac2043 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gah, totally missed that thread; thanks

Myke likes this.
  5. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

supermd, Sear, Dave Mac and 5 others like this.
  7. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Just got an email saying T.Rex and Twisted Sister are "now shipping" (which means you might get it in a month, these days).

jhm and Dave Decadent like this.
  8. sudon't

sudon't Forum Resident

Pre-order is available now for the 45 rpm version. Does anyone know whether they’re planning a 33.3 version?

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I got shipping notification for the SACD on Friday. Looking forward to this one.

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have not seen anything suggesting there will be a 33.3 mofi, unlike Analogue Productions and some other small labels,
    these Mofi titles that aren't part of a series from an artist, they are "one and done".

But Electric Warrior has been reissued in 2017 by Rhino in 33, mastered by Kevin Gray, pressed at RTI, and it rocks.
    T. Rex - Electric Warrior

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Looks like this one lacks the "Original Master Recording" banner, wonder what the source is.

12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It’s a rip-off!

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm wondering if they'll use Kevin Gray's mastering, or if it will be mastered by someone else.

Darryl

14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I don't think there is any recent examples of Mofi using anything but their in-house mastering, at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab®, in Sebastopol , CA

The credits on discogs say it's:

15. sudon't

sudon't Forum Resident

I have a copy of the 2003 Rhino release mastered by Ron McMaster which I’m not at all happy with. It’s not as good as the early eighties pressing I was trying to replace. I now have a copy of of the Kevin Gray mastered release you suggested on the way, (fingers crossed). I’ll probably pick up the 45 rpm MoFi, too, just to have.

DeRosa and rednedtugent like this.
  16. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Never fear the Gray.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Having not liked the sound of the Kevin Gray and sold it on, I'm excited by this and ordered the SACD. They shipped to me today. A 33 1/3 would have been nice.

18. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

well, their you go. I just played it recently trying to decide if I wanted to drop a Benjamin on the MOFI and decided it would be a luxury.

mr.datsun likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I suspect the presentation of the music will be quite different. Judging by the few other Mofis I have, I'm hoping it will be more to my taste.

rednedtugent likes this.
  20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Kind of Blue must be around the corner...

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Has anybody heard the MOFI SACD yet?

stenway, jhm and George P like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded!

stenway, jhm and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'll third it! I'm itching to pull the trigger, but not until I read some reviews. I hope they do "The Slider" at some point. I don't feel there's a recent digital version that's worthy and I'd love to hear what a modern A to D conversion could bring out of these tapes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

It's now available at Acoustic Sounds. Just ordered mine from them and will report back when it arrives and I hear it. I plan to compare it to the original Reprise CD.

jhm likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’d rather have The Slider than Electric Warrior!

The most recent CD version of the former I have is the one remastered by Tony Visconti from a few years ago. It’s not especially good.