T.Rex: ELECTRIC WARRIOR on SHM-SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Possibly a dull, shot mastertape that needs EQing to sound decent? The original SACD has a fat, warm bass sound to it with possibly a bit of analog hiss creeping into the presentation. Music labels waited around so long to do these definitive audiophile issues, that may be some of the masters are just not in good shape anymore.:shake:

2. art

art Senior Member

The DVD-a stereo version is a remix.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Being a Bolan completist, I'll be getting this.
    I think it will be hard to top the 2003 SACD.
    Can't wait for warleywarrior's 2003/2011 EW SACD shoot-out.
    BTW warleywarrior, are these all the EW CDs you have?
    I'll check mine to see how many I have.
    What's different about the 2 reprise issues in the top left corner of the first pic?
    Do you not have the Cube/Teldec issue from 1987?
    What about the Tony Visconti remaster from 2001?

Darryl

4. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

I also can't wait to hear Wanleywarrior's results here.

SACD vs SACD comparison is particularly exciting, since it will be the same technology, on the same playback equipment. A real mastering comparison.

will be checking back in.

ccm

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

"greatly processed" .. yikes. They need a flat transfer policy on these. Let the end user fool around with tone controls if they want.

I should have mine next week. It's currently in Customs in Los Angeles.

I don't particularly like the sound of the dvd-audio version so I'm hoping this one is better.

6. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

The worlds best stereo systems don't have tone controls. We'd have to put an EQ in the chain.

That's why we value good mastering moves so much.

ccm

7. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

Electric Warrior Shoot out !!

Wow..I'm Warriored OUT !! Just did the test..2003 versus 2011 SACD...
    Tested on Onkyo TX SR607 AV Receiver..Oppo DV980H SACD Player HDMI connection to amp..Mordant Short subwoofer and 4 speakers
    The 2003 is louder and more trebly..still a GREAT sound though..volume at 36
    2011 seems more bassy and one has to crank it up about to 41/42..a smooth sound
    2011..On Lean Woman Blues there is a missing few seconds of guitar before Marc does his "One Two Buckle my shoe" I think only the 2003 has this..its not on the vinyl..
    I dont have the knowledge of Flac Files, Compression or waveforms or whatever...so can't be more technical..sorry..
    I am not disappointed with 2011..I loved it yesterday and still do today...Being the Completist I love them both..
    To answer Darryl..I do have the 2001 edition,Teldec and Shm Warrior..they werent to hand yesterday..I will have to sort out my Rex drawer..
    Another point...I found Marcs Litterbox..The Alternate Electric Warrior that came out a few years ago only if you bought a "Keep Britain Tidy" T.Shirt..
    Wonder what the Rexers think of this version !!!
    My neighbour thinks I've got Tourettes..playing the same songs..over and over and over again !! what one does for Mr Hoffmans Forum..
    Rock On
    Ps Heres a pic of LitterBOX !!!

Attached Files:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

T.REX Drawer

This is the T.REX Drawer that I need to sort out..Theres more in a cupboard somewhere !! Bang A Gong !!

Attached Files:

Engelsstaub likes this.
  9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

On the Castle you get what sounds like "uh Take Ten" then some guitar twangs and then the "One Two..." is that the same?

Tim

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

My system does not have tone controls, although I wouldn't say it is the worlds best.

My car stereo has tone controls but I keep 'em flat except for a few times when I need to reduce bass.

The shipment with this disk has exited USA customs so could have it Tuesday.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

That is what I'm thinking of.

Darryl

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm gonna try to read the CD spines and see which one's I am missing.

[​IMG]

Here's my Bolan collection...

[​IMG]

Engelsstaub likes this.
  13. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I just want The Slider on SHM-SACD NOW or as soon as possible! The SHM-CD sounds to be the best I've heard but can still be improved

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

True ... the European ELECTRIC WARRIOR SACD from 2003 really sounds good to me.

That's an interesting point.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

We're on the same page.

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Wow...you two guys are mega-Bolan fans...would love to just sit in front of those collections looking at it all!!!!

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That is one amazing collection. By the way, do you like that silver and orange disc (the MD32) in the bottom right hand corner of the first photo? People have criticized it for sounding laid back, but I think it "boogies", if that's the right term - kind of smooth like the RCA Bowies and Reeds, and I prefer it to the US SACD. I have not yet listened to the SHM-SACD, but plan to do so next weekend. What are your thoughts?

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Got my SACD today.... quick listening.

It does NOT beat the MC-SACD :sigh: it's a little but murky for my taste. Maybe a little better than the standard 16-Bit remaster. Not recommended IMO.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Do you have the dvd-audio version? I've always thought that one was a bit murky.

My shipment is in but I can't pick it up until tomorrow due to a postal holiday today.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Never heard the DVD-A.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Just listened to it and enjoyed it. It's a little 'dark' sounding...the bass and bass drum really thump....not sure I'd say its better or worse than the earlier SACD...I think though if you have the older one you could live without this one unless you are a collector and need them both. I will probably sell one or the other.

22. I own the DVD-A disc, and I have the 2011 SACD on order. I do not own the 2003 SACD (which I regret not puchasing in 2003 or 2004, when I saw it for about $30 at my local recod store; I think the disc is worth $100 + now).

I also own the original Reprise disc, the 30th anniversary remaster, and the most recent Rhino remaster.

I have a few questions and comments that maybe you guys can shed some light on.

First, can anyone confirm that the DVD-A stereo version is a remix? I read a similar comment a few years ago, but I don't recall Tony Visconti mentioning, or reading in the liner notes of the 30th anniversay regular CD or the DVD-A disc, that the album was remixed for stereo (unfortunately, my DVD-A is packed away).

Also, is my understanding correct that Tony Visconti remastered (or remixed?) the 2001 30th anniversary edition of the album for CD, and the 2003 SACD stereo version is just the 2001 stereo remaster/remix in hi-rez.

Concerning the DVD-A disc, I read somewhere, perhaps on these boards, that the DVD-A disc utilizes the same digital source tapes as the 2003 SACD (meaning that the 2001 stereo remaster/remix is used). I also recall reading that the stereo version on the DVD-A disc is not hi-rez (just standard CD resolution). Can anybody confirm this as well?

If the album was remixed for stereo, and the 2003 SACD utilizes that stereo remix, I suppose that would be important to know for the sake of a comparison of the 2003 and 2011 SACDs. (I'm assuming the 2011 utilizes the original mixes.)

I do not like the sound 30th Anniversary rematered regular CD, or the stereo version on the DVD-A disc (which sounds identical to the 30th Anniversary disc).

I still prefer the Rhino remaster, and I'm hoping the 2011 SACD can improve upon it.

Tanx

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Tony Visconti's liner notes in the DVD-A & the 2003 SACD are exactly the same. Coincidence?

Darryl

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

PM coming...

Darryl

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.