T.Rex: ELECTRIC WARRIOR on SHM-SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I only have two versions of it on CD. The original US release and the 2003 remaster. I like the SACD more in some ways compared to them. My original Reprise LP is not in the best of shape. However, I think the SACD is less bright than the version of I have on LP. I need to seek out the earlier released SACD since many here really like it. :cheers:

2. Rose River Bear

Can't agree with your take on this one. EW is not in the same league as Fire and Water was...which to me was a real loser..dull and lifeless. Not EW. I never heard this album sound so natural and engaging..the reverb and echo sounds amazing.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And it is from a third generation dub tape. Imagine if the actual master was used...

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Does anyone know what tapes Visconti used for his SACD back in 2002/2003?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry, I'm being a grump but I've heard the US production master and it sounds just like the old $4.00 WB CD from the 1980's..

. These things are so expensive....

George P and hi_watt like this.
  6. milkshock

milkshock Forum Resident

the one good thing to come out of this shm-sacd debate it is that people who attempt to post what they consider serious opinion on this forum after having listened to the cd/vinyl on ipod/car stereo/other low grade equipment, will essentially be locked out of passing comment on these sacd's due to them being single layer.

7. art

art Senior Member

I like the shm-sacd best as well.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

2003-Not mentioned in the liner notes except for tape research by Jane Hitchin at the Universal tape facility.

In the liner notes to the T-Rex Electric Warrior SACD, Tony Visconti mentions that Looking Glass Studios in NYC "is a bastion of vintage gear", a good thing because he "wanted this version of Electric Warrior to sound like it was recorded and mixed in 1972, if surround sound was already available."
    Read more:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2755319&postcount=5

I love the SACD surround treatment.

9. Just to throw a little light on the situation, according to the liner notes by Sean Egan on the 2003 Rhino CD, the album was recorded in several different studios. Recording sessions for the album were spread across these locations: Trident and Advision studios in London, Media Sound in New York, and Wally Heider Recording in L.A. The Rhino's mastering is accredited to Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot. It is definitely employing a different mastering to the one used on the original SACD by Tony Visconti and George Marino. The tapes/source sounds much different as well on that version.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

There is also a 2001 made in EU/Germany mastered in stereo Tony Visconti and George Marino CD with bonus tracks.
    Hector Castillo was involved in the 2003 surround sound of the SACD. George Marino put on his final "magic touch".

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

My favorite sounding version of Electric Warrior is the early German Teldec CD. Just about all other sources i have heard with the same material are quite a bit brighter sounding. IMO Especially the UK George Peckham mastered LP is very bright and thin sounding. Reports that the SHM-SACD is a bit dark sounding is good news to me.

12. Rose River Bear

Wow. Regardless, I think it sounds pretty good. I am in the market for the 2003 SACD though considering what I have read.

13. Rose River Bear

I am listening to it again for the third time today. MBs voice comes floating out of the speakers...the soundstage is great. The balance is near perfect. The highs are smooth as hell. Very crankable.

Boy if they keep making them this good, I will go broke at some point. I wish they were more in the $30 range....but still worth it for these classic titles.

14. art

art Senior Member

Surprised more aren't wowed. This is the absolute best run at this title I've heard, and more than slightly. I've owned/own every damn digital version of this, even remixed hi-res. The 2003 Sacd was dull to me.

15. Rose River Bear

I dig ya. I am listening as I type and it is so good it is scary sounding...like MB is in the same room with me. I am anxious to read more negative reviews. :cheers:

16. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

How great is this!! 40 years on and we are still writing how good/bad Electric Warrior Sounds...Marcs gone 34 years this September and hes STILL in the Room with most of us.How he would just LOVE all this Boley Adulation..
    You have left your Marc Mr B...glad he is still loved as much as he ever was..
    Rock On..

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Rose River Bear

I was one of the very few in my High School that loved T. Rex. I played The Slider for a few friends and most never really dug it that much however....I told a few of the guys that it was a great album to play while parking with the ladies. A few came back to me and told me I was right!!!!

18. Rose River Bear

Wish he was still around. I bet he would still be awesome to this day.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Jeepster is amazing. Excellent dynamic range.

20. Any specific comments on Cosmic Dancer off the SHM-SACD would be appreciated. That has always been my favorite T. Rex song and would be the number one reason I spend the $60 for this import.

21. Rose River Bear

It sounds amazing on my system. Get it. :cheers:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

23. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Just received this disc today and love it. This is my introduction to Electric Warrior, don't know why it has taken me so long to get some MB in my collection. This SACD's sound exceeds my expectations, lovely smooth analogue music with great separation and soundstage, a winner !

Cheers,
    mondie

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. milkshock

milkshock Forum Resident

got this over the weekend, its my first physical release of EW, although I have some .flac files of unknown origin.

its a fine sounding record here, sound perhaps a little laid back, but maybe thats just the nature of the album?

recommended in any case.

25. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Yes it is a little laid back, but in a good way. Like you say not sure if this is in the recording but l am guessing so as it doesn't sound flat or muted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.