Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder finally back together for a release 55+ years after Rising Sons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Luckily Ry and Taj are still around to spread the gospel. This is a wonderful album. Their performance is heartfelt. You can hear it in the recording.

palisantrancho, tms766, hodgo and 5 others like this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy 80th birthday to Taj Mahal!

longdist01, hodgo, Reid Smith and 3 others like this.
  3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Wow, happy birthday Taj, still kicking ass and taking names.

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

My copy has finally arrived after more than a month in the mail. Remarkably, given the thin, oversized card envelope it was packaged in, the signed print isn’t bent:

[​IMG]

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

How is the album?

6. stepeanut

Wonderful.

7. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

It really, really is. I'd be amazed if it's not one of my top ten of the year.

8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

This!

Jerry, it's a fabulous album and one I think you will enjoy immensely!

9. stepeanut

Indeed. Just a really charming, honest, fun, down-home listen. Two old friends with a lifetime of experience, kicking back on the porch, sharing a couple of beers and trading songs. Highly recommended to anyone who values such attributes, not only in music, but in humanity at large.

10. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

It's really great.

The CD actually has fantastic sound quality as well. I'm really pleased with it.

11. Jerry

It’s nice that I can feel confident buying the CD rather than having to buy the vinyl to set great sound quality!

12. hodgo

My LP which is in regular rotation right now sounds great too.

13. Jerry

Hmm, it’s affordable at about $20, so maybe that’s the way to go. My wife should be asking me soon to make my June birthday wish list, so that’s one to consider!

14. stepeanut

Have a listen to the various YouTube videos posted in this thread. That should give you a good indication of what the album’s all about and whether or not it’s for you.

15. hodgo

It would be a great birthday present from your wife Jerry, the EU copies at least are beautifully pressed at Record Insdustries in the Netherlands.

I gave my other half a list of titles for my birthday which is on Wednesday and she has bought me one of the Verve Acoustic Sounds series .

16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

100% agree. Exceptional.

17. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

It's really good. I played it over and over when it first came out. Ry hits home runs only.

18. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

I'll pencil it in for your bday present from Om.

Jerry and hodgo like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I had a horrible experience with Nonesuch. I’m not going to bother typing out the details but suffice to say I’ll never order from the label again. Great album though. It did not disappoint. Order it elsewhere is my rec.

20. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I don't see how anyone couldn't like this new record.Beside's the great music,it's just fun to listen to,just raw music,not some over produced slick record.After watching some of the videos of the sessions,it's so easy to just close your eyes and imagine you're sitting there with them as they play.
    Found this cool pic of Ry and Taj from when they were first starting out,they probably never imagined they would play together and have a record so many love all these decades later in 2022 :) Ry playing what appears to be,one of those oddball Martin electric guitars from the 60's.
    Never got a chance to see Ry back then,but did get to see Taj and that great band with Jesse Ed Davis,one of the best shows i've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Played this at work last in office, love that Taj and Ry got together and made a New album....amazing quality songs & playing!

22. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

got my copy today ... fantastic .... have to say much prefer to Rising Sons

hodgo likes this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'd hemmed and hawed about it but finally go on board! Excellent release all around! I think The Rising Sons get a bad rep, but obviously they were two very different groups thrown together, and Taj & Ry together was kind of all that really clicked big time in that group with everything else 'interesting' or a work in progress that didn't or really couldn't progress. I wish Kincaid had been able to find a group of his own, I like all his original songs from the Ash Grove tapes and the studio stuff but ramshackle charm is the kinder term, but maybe he was destined to have cut a Sonny Curtis sized profile at best (minus the famous tv show theme)? Like early Charlatans which I've noticed some people dump on, I genuinely treasure the stuff all the same. The first two Taj 'solo' albums alone pretty much eclipse all the Rising Sons recordings, and it just seemed inevitable looking back.

Reid Smith and stepeanut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.