"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

You got your wish!

I’m actually listening to Topographic Oceans for the first time ever with this new set out. I love it! It’s a super cool album in my opinion.

SirMarc likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Since this post, I picked up an unplayed promo copy from 73 that sounds sublime. The SW remix on vinyl sounds nice, but can't touch this copy.

So far I've only listened to Tales and Relayer from this set. Relayer is excellent, and sounds better than my first press, so on that alone this box is worth it to me

3. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I'm curious: is it because you prefer the older mix by Eddie Offord to Wilson's, or is it just the sound quality of the pressing?

JediJoker likes this.
  4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The mix is similar really, Wilson is pretty respectful of the original mix, he just cleans it up and balances it if needed. A good early pressing has a certain ethereal quality that is missing from his remix. Sorry, can't really explain it better than that.

This set is definitely of high quality, the albums are quiet and flat, and cut by Chris Bellman which is always a good thing.

I've only listened to Tales and Relayer so far, and Relayer is definitely gonna be my go to copy, its very good and sounds better than my first press

JediJoker likes this.
  5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

So let me get this right; the Wilson Tales version comes in regular CD form, that can be played in your car - plus- a blue ray form?

And it was worth it to spend $40 on something you already owned?

izgoblin likes this.
  6. Yes! I think Wilson's remix is damn good, but also the UK needledrop for the original mix is a must own, blowing previous remasters out of the water. It opens up the original mix. Not in the way that Wilson's remix does, but in order to have the best of both versions, you need the blu ray.

7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Think you are on the wrong forum to be honest......

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Tales From Topographic Oceans 3CD/1 Blu-ray is $26.36 on Amazon. If you have a 5.1 system the Blu-ray is well worth owning.

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Topographic-Oceans-Expanded-Blu-ray/dp/B01J3JWTIE

9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I can tell by the edit that it switches at 14 seconds. I just listened to it several times. I have decent Sol earbuds, but I am on an old desktop computer (and maybe that is the problem).
    But I do NOT hear any difference at all?
    What difference do you hear?

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I didn't spend $40, but I bought the SW remixes for the surround stuff. The CD's were useless to me but I guess gave them an excuse to charge more.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did the same as I bought all of the Steven Wilson Yes remixes for the 5.1 mixes. All of them are the CD/DVD-A sets except Close To The Edge which is the CD/Blu-ray set. The CD/DVD-A sets were less expensive and I didn't have any need for the extras on the Blu-rays. The cost for the sets is more than fair when you look at some of the big box sets which are priced at $100 or more.

tedhead, SirMarc and JediJoker like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You could fit the entire contents of a box set on a $20 blu-ray if we could stop worrying about bundling CD's with everything.

The remixes are well worth hearing though, however you choose to do it. And hey, they're streaming now!

15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

But from the looks of it, a lot of people wanted to have the new stereo mix as an improvement on the original - so a CD does make sense...

JediJoker and izgoblin like this.
  16. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Also - for those who can't rip BDs its handy to have CDs. I load the CDs into iTunes and sync them to my ageing iPod Classic for the car, etc.

alduchaney and JediJoker like this.
  17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

You don't even need the 5.1 system. I am just stereo-only at this point and I loved the disc. Even if your system isn't the greatest, you may upgrade later and be upset that you missed this set. Or most of the other sets SW's remixes appear on. They're amazing values for the money!

18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I have had the SW TFTO set for about a year (always loved the album) but had only played the Cds once and never the BR.

Today I pulled it out, put the BR on and chose the instrumental version. Oh, my god! Such wonderful music without the vocals. I think I like it better this way.

Listening to the alternate takes now. I have so much Yes I could not make myself buy the other 4 SW remixes before today. Order placed for the other four as we speak.

PS: Listening in the dark with the TFTO "screen saver" on the TV is pretty cool and trippy.

JulesRules, tedhead, izgoblin and 9 others like this.
  19. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Really wish the instrumental version had been presented in 5.1!!

sbeck201 likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not in 5.1 they're are not.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I guess there wasn't room on the Blu-ray? Other Steven Wilson releases with instrumental mixes have included those mixes in 5.1, if I recall correctly.

PJayBe likes this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I never really liked the album that much. But in 5.1 it's a lot more fun, stronger sounding, the fidelity is ratcheted up a full notch I think.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

The BR also includes the hi-res 24/96 stereo mixes, stereo original mix flat transfer in 24/192, alternate takes, intrumental mixes and various other extras, so yes definitely worth it, even if (like me) you don't do 5.1.

25. This!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.