"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was talking about the stereo. I don't think you really need the physical package here unless you're doing 5.1.

2. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Maybe some day we'll get 5.1 streaming music - movies are are being streamed in 5.1 why not music as well? I'll answer my own question. Its all about the cash. Right?

quicksrt and JediJoker like this.
  3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It's also a matter of platform. Netflix could start streaming music in surround today—they have the technology, the infrastructure, and the installed base—but music isn't part of their business model. Meanwhile, Spotify does nothing but music, with a huge installed base, but they have no delivery system for surround. If any current players are likely to dip into multichannel music, I'd put my money on Amazon, as they offer both stereo music streaming and video streaming with surround sound, both on subscription.

I don't think there's room in the marketplace for a new company doing only surround music. I can't see consumers shelling out another monthly subscription fee for such a specialized service. It needs to be included as a perk of an existing subscription, or an add-on for minimal additional cost.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough demand for it outside of a fairly narrow audiophile niche. I wish that the format had taken off more, but I'm grateful for all the good stuff we've gotten in the last couple of decades. I'd love to see more releases, but I'm not sure how many more viable candidates there are. Personally, I'd like to see more 80s artists go the 5.1 route--Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, The Police, Echo & the Bunnymen, Prince, etc.--but it hasn't materialized yet. If only they could find a way to clone Steven Wilson. . .

5. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I'll 'echo' your wishes!

The Police have released a hits package in 5.1 - I've got it and its pretty good. Would love me some Gabriel in 5.1.

6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

You know that 'Up' is in 5.1?

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Also the video collection DVD.

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good to know, thanks.

9. moops

moops Senior Member

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

11. moops

moops Senior Member

I don't know sorry, but there always seems to be something "on sale" ...... though that may mean only a couple of dollars off sometimes.

12. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I did not - thank you! Quick check at Discogs shows copies available from $67 :eek:

13. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I love this album, and this thread that keeps on turning up. We're 115 forum thread pages in on an album that many consider not that great. Keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

JohnCarter17, Mbe and US Blues like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If you like the album, the mix and sound quality are worth it even at that price. Near reference quality...

marc with a c likes this.
  15. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the 5.1 mix. It is superb if you like surround sound. I had the house to myself and some free time and took advantage. Couldn't resist. Definitely a strong recommendation in my opinion!!!!! How does the stereo version by Wilson compare to the original Atlantic?

16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I prefer my promo copy on vinyl overall, but if I'm going digital, I like the remix better than the HDtracks 24/192 files

Instant Karma likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What is the difference between the two alternate versions of "Dance of the Dawn" that are on disc 2 of the 3-cd/1-bluray set?

kevinsponge likes this.
  18. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

One will have the hard start "Dawn of light...." the other will feature the couple of minutes of scene setting atmospherics before the lyrics start.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But they're both listed in the 22-minute range.

20. Beeb Fader

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I can't check right now. Discogs says: "While the printed booklet identified the alternate take of "Dance of the Dawn" to be a "Studio Run-Through", the version of the song pressed on both the Blu-Ray and CD discs is actually the "Extended Version" of The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn) from the 2003 Rhino deluxe remaster of this album. The decision to press these tracks was made after the booklet and artwork had already been printed".

Which is also as clear as mud.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Beeb Fader

Basically the same track was mistakenly used twice, instead of what should have been a `studio run through' of `Dance Of The Dawn'. It means you need to hang on to your Rhino 2003 version which
    DOES feature the run through.....

Shvartze Shabbos and JediJoker like this.
  22. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

The real question is which one do you want to burn to the hard drive, because that's the one you are going to listen to most of the time from now on. After some deliberation and nooo help from this forum, I went with the extended version. I still feel like I made the right choice. :winkgrin:

But wait, is it a Steven Wilson remix of the extended version or the actual 2003 Rhino version? I think it is the former. Otherwise, I may have to rethink this.

Icenine1 likes this.
  23. The extended introduction is musically and thematically related to the piece as whole—it’s not just ambient noodling. You made the right choice.

24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The set does contain an SW remix including the intro, but it may also contain the original mix of the same. :shrug:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.

25. This, and why in the world anyone would have jettisoned any of the Rhino remasters in the first place is the real question. I’m sure the contrarians will tell me. :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.