"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

How would you desribe the improvements to Relayer? Always my favourite Yes album.

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I've never heard this album.

3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Excellent. So much depth and beauty to this one. Their best!

vegafleet, pdenny and qtrules like this.
  4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well, I can't go that far, but I enjoy it.

ben_wood and kenbefound like this.
  5. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

There is a freshness and clarity to the remix of Relayer that just gives it the breathing room I always felt it needed. But what I am always impressed with the most in these Steve Wilson remixes is how if you go back to the original mix, you think "wow, it's not THAT different". I feel he keeps the intent of the original.

I'm talking about the stereo remixes by the way, but I guess you could say the same for the 5.1.

I for one am super excited about Tales From Topographic Oceans.

EVOLVIST and MoonPool like this.
  6. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Steven Wilson is the hardest working man in show business. Between he remixing Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson etc. Porcupine Tree & Solo work plus touring, eating and sleeping. Do each of his days consists of 48 hours?

JediJoker and Plan9 like this.
  7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Best news ever. Wonder how the pricing will shake out, whether we'll see two discs for the original album sides, and of course salivating at the extras that await us.

qtrules likes this.
  8. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

:love: :righton: :goodie: :pineapple: :-popcorn: :cheers:

I can't seem to pick just one ...

9. Mickrogers75

Mickrogers75 Well-Known Member

I personally want the first 5 Yes albums and thats it!

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Uh oh. Didn't think about that. That's actually one reason why I never got the Rhino - it always seemed to be pricey. I used to see a used one in a local shop, it was there forever with a price of $14.99 on it.

It'll have to be two discs just for the original album remixes, then at least one more for bonus material. I suppose the DVD/BR can have everything on one disc, but this may end up looking more like a box set.

11. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Link and date for when the info was mentioned!?
    Wilson said after Fragile that no more Yes albums where schedule for release.
    Ok, found it! :)
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-cruise-to-the-edge-2015/

JediJoker likes this.
  12. fRa

from
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...9:0:1448956799:-5724369654202229948&__tn__=*s

"Steven Wilson Remixes
    Today sees the release of a new edition of the classic 1971 Yes album "Fragile", featuring my new stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixes, as well as a wealth of extras including out-takes and alternate versions, and a flat transfer of the original mix.

The blu-ray edition also exclusively includes instrumental mixes, a needle drop of the original UK vinyl, and a previous 5.1 mix created of the album in 2002 by engineer Tim Weidner. This is the fourth and final release scheduled in the classic Yes album remixes series at present."

JediJoker likes this.
  13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

There can be a lot of nuance in that statement too - "no more scheduled" does not have to mean it was not done and awaiting a release schedule, and he has said in the past that he had at least started working on Tales....

JediJoker likes this.
  14. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

No thanks

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The album where Jon Anderson forgets about the English language and starts speaking in Jonandersonese. I like the LP, but I have no freakin' idea what the hell he is talking about. I still wish Wilson would do the first two, highly underrated, LPs.

16. fRa

Yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that he started working on Tales. Just a bit confused about the contradiction in the info... but let's hope for a release! :)

JediJoker likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Eh, I think all Yes songs are in jonandersonese, except for the covers. The lyrics to all three songs on Close To The Edge are particularly ridiculous IMO, and yet that album is worshipped. I love it too, but it's no less off the wall lyrically than Tales, it's just that the music is somewhat more realized, which makes all the difference.

Ere likes this.
  18. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

That's always been my take on it. People either love it or they don't. I fall into the latter camp, although there's certainly enough good stuff on it that I could never just write it off completely.

Tristero likes this.
  19. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

This album begs to be remixed in Odorama.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I've been paranoid that this one would never happen. Absolutely thrilled that it is!

qtrules likes this.
  21. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I don't believe I ever listened to Tales. I have forever loved The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, and Going for the One. For those of you that like both Tales and Relayer, which do you think is the stronger of the two / do you like more? I also have Relayer but never warmed up to it (and did not purchase the SW version).

Thanks.

Doug

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

As I said... this was only a very short snippet by Steve Howe. No comment by SW, no release. That's so simple!

23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

But SW’s quote only refers to “classic Yes album remixes” so clearly he wasn’t addressing Tales! :D

J/k, I hope this happens.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of the main reasons why his re-mixes are so great.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I chose Tales, hands down. Relayer is very good, anyway.

ti-triodes and qtrules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.