"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fantastic news!

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. It does sound like Tales was mainly an Anderson/Howe joint, while maybe Squire and Wakeman weren't fully on board. Sometimes that apparent lack of cohesion comes through, particularly on "The Ancient". I've actually come around to liking "The Remembering" more over the years. There are some lovely parts in there.
    Maybe Wilson can find some more lost parts to restore, like he did with A Passion Play. Tales: now with more exploratory noodling! Fans will eat it up.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

4. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Interesting quote on that quadraphonicquad forum from Wilson:

I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

Then again, that was months ago and I've seen interviews with Wilson where he reveals he can get these projects done in a surprisingly short time frame, and obviously a large head start was in place.

Cool that Tales is one of his favorites!

JediJoker likes this.
  5. Ere

Ere Senior Member

'Relayer,' for one, devotes an entire side to a song about war, battle, and victory - segments of which are the aming the mist aggressive the band ever sounded. Lots of great dynamics in the performance.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And as we've seen with his work on projects like King Crimson's Lizard and Tull's A Passion Play, Wilson does like to champion albums that he feels have been unfairly maligned. I suppose that this was what Sordel was getting at with his earlier comment about a "critical reappraisal".

JediJoker and frank3si like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just realized that Wilson did not only what I consider the best new álbum (Hand. Cannot. Erase.), but also some of the best re-releases of the year. A talented fellow, indeed.

boboquisp and fredblue like this.
  8. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

Tales was the first Yes album I heard and I loved it! Got all the other classic Yes allbums and they were great too but for some strange reason I couldn't get my head round Relayer. I think it had a lot to do with the Gates of Delirium finale with the overlaid explosions etc. Having bought and listened to the SW remix I must say I like it tons more, can hear the instruments now instead of a huge mess. One can argue it's not what the band intended but I much prefer it.

FVDnz and anduandi like this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

Check out the source I cited in post #1.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Tales is one Yes album I never got around to owning. So I will be jumping on this.

rstamberg likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Excited about this. One of the best albums ever! I've always liked the smooth sound of the original Atlantic cd. I love the extra 2 minutes on the Rhino, but don't enjoy the sound of that disc - too dark and sterile imo. Hope that SW does a better job with Tales than he did with Relayer though. That was one was a disappointment; a rare misfire from him.

Beech, rstamberg and zen like this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I know it doesn't seem popular around here but I own and have only heard the Gastwirt remaster of Tales. It sounds a little muddy to me but it isn't too bad, at least it isn't overly bright and compressed like the couple of Yes Rhino remasters I heard. I've looked around but haven't been able to find a cheap used copy of the original Atlantic disc which I would like to try.

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

This news does my heart good.

kenbefound likes this.
  15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I can't remember who said this (possibly Eddie Offord.), but it was stated in a book I read about Yes, that a lot of the best bits of Tales ended up on the cutting room floor. Whether those bits were saved, or put in the bin, perhaps we'll finally find out.

JediJoker and qtrules like this.
  16. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Stronger? That's like trying to compare Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All vs Uncle Meat. Relayer has the same format as Close to the Edge, while Tales is long-form. Both are great but they reach different parts of the brain.

17. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

much like "The Yes Album", no matter what anyone does to it, it's a great recording to begin with.

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I've loved The Revealing Science of God, The Ancient and Ritual for so long, I think I better listen to it again (after so long). Yes, I do think The Remembering is perhaps the weak link in the album but still good. Bring on the Wilson remix - no doubt wonders will be achieved like the remixes done so far. And he may as well keep the intro, even though I started on the vocal starting version. :)

19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

My favorite album by Yes! Cannot friggin's wait. After Tales is done - the only one I would like to see done to complete the golden YEs seris is Going for the One. Remix can alter the music for the better. and well - three gatefold mini LP - who wouldn't want that? without the rest I could live.

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Here's one, price is ok ....... http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/159389026?ev=bp_det

Here's a couple of threads regarding preferred masterings .....

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tales-from-topographic-oceans-mastering.102097/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...g-of-yes-tales-from-topographic-ocean.204976/

Brief summary of the above threads .....

The original recording has always leaned toward the dull side, the original Atlantic CD stays faithful to that, but some think the original Atlantic is just too dull, others like it that way.
    Most think the Gastwirt offers nothing over the original, nothing gained ....
    Many like the Rhino from 2003 as they added a touch of life, an extended intro to TRSOG and bonus tracks - of the 2003 Rhino remasters, Tales usually gets the most favorable comments.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Tales is the exception in that batch. It sounds nice.

JediJoker and moops like this.
  22. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Tales is the best of the Rhinos and for a while it was my favourite digital version but some time ago I went back to the original Atlantic because the Rhino is fatiguing, especially on headphones, due to too much compression.
    I'm looking forward to the Wilson remix but what I really want is a Steve Hoffman remaster.

23. The Bishop

Just listening to the Gastwirt Tales right now. I've always blown hot and cold with this album, but, right now, I'm thinking it really is a masterpiece....what a roll Yes were on! It's a bit rich Wakeman complaining about this album, because, compositionally, he never came close to writing anything like this: he just didn't have the skills. His playing is amazing on Tales: he should have stuck to what he was good at.

24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

How do you find the sound quality of the Gastwirt and have you compared it to anything else?

25. The Bishop

It's not half bad, actually: I haven't played it in a while and it was much better than I was expecting.

I've got the original vinyl, but I prefer the CD.

It's just really whetting my appetite for the Wilson remix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.