"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'm posting to add my voice to the record. YES please take my $$$...

Thank you!

2. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

But why survey only 4 out of 5? Then we'll have a misleading sense of how many patients should chew sugar free gum!

JediJoker, CheezCache and O Don Piano like this.
  3. CheezCache

CheezCache Forum Resident

I could never trust someone who profits from fixing teeth to tell me what was best for mine, but that's just me! :whistle:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    JediJoker likes this.
  4. :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

5. Well I can think of another release that you've really been waiting for, but that's another story/thread!

Rne likes this.
  6. I'll take mine with a touch of life - and bonus tracks, thank you! :targettiphat:

moops likes this.
  7. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

My following of Yes goes back to my first Yes concert on 11/13/1971 - I consider myself a pretty intense fan of the band, but damned if this wasn't news to me, too! I'm out of town right now but am disturbingly anxious to get home and haul out the covers :agree:

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  8. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I have not bought any of these remixes because if you're really familiar with the originals these will be always be second rate despite the improved sound quality. That being said, if you've never heard the music before there is merit to the remixes.
    A classic example of how sound quality has improved over the years is Terry Reid's Superlungs set, there are originals and never released original songs remixed for the set, it's like night and day.

9. milco

milco Forum Resident

The only problem with the interesting-sounding idea of condensing TFTO down to a shorter album (someone mentioned cutting the playing length in half) is that no one will ever agree on the right bits to chop out. It's like trying to reduce the White Album to one 'dynamite' single album. Whenever there is a discussion about what tracks to chop off no one can ever agree!

OK -- I will have a crack at cutting TFTO down to size:

Side one stays in its entirety, but omitting the two minute intro included in the Rhino edition. Edit the first nine minutes of side two down to about four minutes, but keeping the rest of that side. Take out side three altogether apart from the 'leaves of green' song and the ending. Remove the drum solo from side four -- this would take some careful editing in order to match the parts that come before and after. I'm not sure how you would then use 'leaves of green', but see what works -- maybe use it as a stand alone song between side one and side two.

There. I would be pretty happy with that. Can anyone do better?

10. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

If this is the case for you, then fine. I can't say what you should or do like.

But this statement is wrong because some people who have listened to this music for 40 years don't think the Wilson remixes are second rate, and in fact like them.

It's worth noting that though this discussion seems to be focussing on the stereo (original or Wilson), the reason Wilson is creating a new stereo mix is that this is the first step in creating a new 5.1 mix.

I've been listening to Yes since 1972 and for me the 5.1 version are the most enjoyable way to listen to this music which I know so well.

11. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I don't think my brain could cope with the differences, I tend to settle on a remaster that sounds closest to my memory of the LP and then discard any other versions I have acquired along the way. The most extreme example being a regular version of Dark Side Of The Moon versus the Guthrie remix of ten or more years ago, played once and instantly disliked. I would hope the Wilson remixes are a lot better than that but I just don't want to put myself in that position again, it's too upsetting.

12. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I did buy all the Wilson Yes remixes and I like them but I still see them merely as interesting alternatives to the original mixes. They are not the legendary albums that I have loved for decades. They are digital recreations, great sounding for sure but they are not the real deal. I feel the same about all remixes.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I tend to agree with your editing choices--"The Ancient" including the most indulgent noodling--but somehow I think that the album would feel incomplete without these parts. I've always been a bit frustrated with that drum bit near the end of "Ritual", which was obviously meant to be a sort of dramatic climax but it really falls flat, IMO. I doubt that Wilson will try anything quite so revisionist as removing all of these parts. I think that Tales is just a project that you have to accept for what it is, warts and all.

14. Tristero

Part of the the thrill with these Wilson projects is that they give you new ways of listening to old favorites that maybe we've grown a bit burnt out on over the years. Obviously, some people don't go for that, preferring always to hear it in the way that they always remembered, but fortunately (unlike the revisionist Genesis remixes) Wilson also includes good needledrops of the originals, as well as a range of interesting bonus materials. Everybody wins.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Better than the needledrops, there are flat transfers of the original master tapes in Hi-Res, in each package!

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

By the way, I haven't figured how to rip the audio from a bluray yet. Any software recommended?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I use a combination of MakeMKV and Foobar.

superstar19, Joe McKee and Rne like this.
  18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Don't hold your breath. Three important factors to consider:

1. Are multitracks available?
    2. Does SW like these records?
    3. Do the band want them remixed?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. Tristero

Yeah, I don't see enough demand for those early releases. What about Going For The One? Are the master tapes still available there? That one could definitely benefit from Wilson's touch.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Somebody linked to a thread in another forum a few days ago where Wilson said that the multitracks of "Going For The One" are not available, that there probably wouldn't be much demand for "Time And A Word", that his favourite Yes albums are "Tales" and "Drama" and that he doesn't like the Rabin albums.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Tristero

He actually prefers Drama to the Big 3? Interesting. I enjoy it well enough for what it is, but I wouldn't rate it above their earlier heyday. Sounds like a bit of a contrarian choice to me. He does like to champion under-appreciated gems.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's a lot to be said about a great album with zero hits or songs that got played live. Drama always seems fresh and awesome, because you never hear those tracks out in the wild, or on live albums (until recently, and those are pretty terrible versions of these songs) or really, anywhere outside of when you yourself put Drama on. It's maybe a little bit being a contrarian, but I definitely get slightly more attached to albums like this that are great, but virtually unknown aside from hardcore fans. (See also: Talk)

wayneklein, JediJoker and Tristero like this.
  23. Tristero

Sure. When you're a really hardcore fan over time, it's easy to get bored of the same old, same old and start to favor the more obscure stuff. That probably explains why I listen to late 60s/early 70s Floyd a lot more than DSOTM and WYWH these days!

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I feel you. Since college, I've always listened to Meddle more than any 'popular' Floyd album.

murrays and Terry like this.
  25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Apparently, Geoff Downes is dead set against SW remixing Drama. See this Twitter exchange. Not sure how this impacts a possible re-release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.