Talk me off the edge of the cliff........should I go all digital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chazz, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

This is the best joke I've seen on the forums in a while, hands down.

2. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Ask yourself why you would regret it. Is it because you like the format, or because you would have to get rid of some music that you like?

Personally I don't care about the technical format, but about the content. I keep analogue gear around because I have lots of records from yesteryear that I want to keep but can't transfer to digital with any reasonable amount of effort, and that I won't rebuy in digital format because it would be too costly. If I could snap a finger and transfer it all to digital "for free" I would in an instant and get rid of analogue, but I can't so I don't.

Are you in that situation? If so ask yourself if there are any recordings you don't have in digital format. If not, easy decision. If you do, look at how much it would cost you to replace them with a digital version and if it's worth it.

Another reason to keep analogue might be that you want to be able to play an LP that you might come across in a flea market in the future, or so.

Chazz likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If you're not downsizing your lifestyle and don't have to get rid of your analog stuff for any practical reason, just hang on to it and then it'll be there when you decide you want to enjoy it again.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Keep your physical media. Enjoy the convenience of digital if it appeals to you. Do you have kids? I like to think that my kids will enjoy my records when I'm gone. Will they enjoy my files? Pretty unlikely. It's hard to apply nostalgia, sentimentality, or the signs of time passed to a digital format like you can w/ the venerable vinyl record.

Chazz and ThorensSme like this.
  5. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I don't use the word "ritual".....but I am drinking Goats blood when I spin the black oracle and summon the infinite chord.

6. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Keep your analogue and get a digital source for convenience. Vinyl still sounds good but at times it’s just convenient to surf the service provider for new stuff and other stuff from the comfort of your mobile device.

Chazz likes this.
  7. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Don't give in to the Heretics.
    Convenience is the first step to weakness.

Chazz, peskypesky and rednedtugent like this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I agree with Jeremy, looking at your profile and your high quality analog playback gear, you should easily be able to hear the differences of the sonic footprints between analog vs digital, especially low end and dynamics. But you say maybe your hearing isn't what it used to be. If you still don't hear much difference between the two then going full digital is by far the best and most practical solution, especially now with hi-res streaming audio. I have always preferred the sound of a high quality vinyl pressing over a digital equivalent, especially mono 45's. But vinyl is a VERY expensive pursuit in finding highest quality import pressings and then even more expensive to trying to score nearmint copies. Much of my collection is rare local 60's or very obscure international bands, not on cd, with master tapes long gone where the original vinyl is the only option for good sound. But if your tastes are more mainstream and popular artists, easily found on cd or hi-res, then there's little reason to stick with vinyl IMO.

Chazz likes this.
  9. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Did you huck all your Playboys or still have some of them stashed?

Chazz likes this.
  10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I think it's really good to have options. Why limit yourself?

Dan

Chazz and rednedtugent like this.
  11. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Agree with others to keep the TT and LPs.

Since not a financial decision (and assume not a space limitation issue), no need to sell. And since you're asking for opinions, I assume you're ambivalent, and might regret getting rid of it all.

I'm not into the sound of LPs but I do enjoy having the option of spinning up the turn table when friends come by. Also fun examining LP covers and collecting old first pressings... All while listening to the digital ;-).

Chazz and Wigru like this.
  12. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

i am

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You already answered your question..........

Tim 2 and Chazz like this.
  14. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

Sold my turntable and vinyl in 2008.
    Likewise ripped all CD's and gave them away.
    Sold CD player too.
    Never looked back.

Chazz, Bingo Bongo and peskypesky like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have that same combo of Chinook>Primaluna. It is amazing to my ears. A lot of those little "wow this sounds good" moments for sure.

Keep your stuff.

Chazz and Big Blue like this.
  16. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

So where to buy audiophile goat blood and how much does it cost?

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Don't do it. I dumped in 1994 (I was not alone) and lived without vinyl for 15 years, and I regret I did it... Now I hardly listen to digital, only if it is the only reasonable option.

Chazz, mark_j and stax o' wax like this.
  18. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I prefer digital but my analogue collection of records and cassettes is in the thousands. Many records never crossed over to digital or cannot be found on streaming sites. I play both frequently.

Chazz likes this.
  19. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Analogue is hard but digital is almost too easy. Sometimes I just blankly stare at my phone with Apple Music and 60 million songs and I can’t decide what to listen to. If space/money isn’t an issue I would just hold onto what you have. I think there is a place for both.

Chazz likes this.
  20. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I also regularly consider going all digital. I keep all the LP's in a room separate from my system. When I get the all digital urge, I pull the TT out of the system and move it into a storage spot in a spare room. This usually only lasts for a few weeks. I get the urge to hear something on vinyl and I move the TT back in to the system. It is a tough decision. I am also tossing the idea of retirement around within the next 12 months and moving cross country so this might make the decision for me. I don't want to move records an TT.

Chazz, elvisizer and Apesbrain like this.
  21. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I was already headed "all digital", but this was the tipping point.

Tim 2, Chazz and rockin_since_58 like this.
  22. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

It's highly likely that op simply uses the music as background while he works and isn't just sitting there listening most of the time. I would keep both but listen to digital while working and then spin LPs when you actually want to sit and listen. The difference between the audiophile and casual listener is the audiophile gives the music undivided attention and actually pays close attn to the music while the listener will play music and surf the net on phone or play on computer or even watch TV at the same time.

Chazz likes this.
  23. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I ditched the turntable years ago and went CD for the convenience factor.
    Must admit, after all these years there's still something that bugs me about
    digital even though I have some outstanding gear.

Caveat: YMMV

Chazz likes this.
  24. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Also just entered the world of digital through Qobuz, Roon and a Raspberry Pie. This is after being strictly analog for the past 15ish years. I am just sort of burnt out on record digging and buying things just to buy them. Also, vinyl is crazy expensive compared to what it was say ten years ago. I am going to keep my collection and system as I like having the options, but yeah, digital all the way right now. I think you'd regret getting rid of your gear tho.

Chazz likes this.
  25. probustini

probustini Well-Known Member

It’s a very difficult decision if you have to pick one.
    I am trying Qobuz, Deezer and Audinirvana these days. My analog setup is superior to my digital one. However high res streaming of good quality masterings compete very well with the sound I can achieve from vinyl records. On the other hand, streaming of recent remasterings of music from vinyl-only times are really poor compared to the original records. Also, there’s plenty of dynamically compressed music on streaming services. Digital may be convenient and potentially a superior medium, but if its superior features are not exploited a vinyl record will still perform better. A high res streaming service will cost 240 per year. I don’t spend that much for records. And the digital abundance may be overwhelming.
    That said, I don’t feel like working on a computer or streamer in order to listen to music: I work on a computer all day! Therefore I decided to keep my analog gear and so I advise the op; and I won’t subscribe to a streaming service, yet.
    But sadly I often have to by the CD version of a record for economic reasons. The last one was Gov’t Mule’s first album: 11 euros for the CD; the vinyl would have cost me 29 at best...

April Snow and Chazz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.