Talking Heads box set 11/11

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Still no single disc comp or CD of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads, but a CD/DVD box set is on the way.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18645&afl=mnew

Talking Heads Box "Lifetime"

Three-CD, one-DVD set due this fall

The Talking Heads will release Once in a Lifetime, a fifty-four-track career-spanning box set, on November 11th. The three discs feature album tracks and previously unreleased material, as well as an expanded DVD version of the band's 1988 video anthology Storytelling Giant.

Among the rarities is an early take of "Sugar on My Tongue," recorded in sessions before the band was completely formed. "It was before Jerry [keyboardist Harrison] joined," says drummer Chris Frantz. "A young A&R guy by the name of Mark Spector took us into the CBS studios. We had two hours of studio time and we banged out every song we knew at that time, which I think was fifteen. We set up in the middle of the room, he miked us up quickly and we let it rip."

Singer David Byrne, Frantz and bassist Tina Weymouth formed the Talking Heads after meeting at the Rhode Island School of Design. After adding Harrison, the band's quirky amalgam of styles first flowed into the mainstream with a cover of Al Green's "Take Me to the River" on 1978's More Songs About Buildings and Food.

"As punky as we were, we were always into R&B, soul and funk," Weymouth says. "'Take Me to the River,' had never been a big hit for Al and we thought, 'Why don't we do this.' And as we were doing it we decided to slow it down. It helped us get over because it wasn't one of our weird songs, it was one of Al Green's weird songs, and it was hilarious to us to have David singing it and us playing it."

Buildings and Food marked the beginning of the Talking Heads' partnership with producer Brian Eno (David Bowie, U2), a pairing that would spawn three albums in three years. "We thought the studio was a place where you could delve deeper and experiment," Weymouth says, "and we knew Brian Eno was about that. He was a wonderful collaborator. He wasn't really a genius smarty-man like everybody thought, and neither were we. Together we created something that may have been smarty-pants . . . but you can dance to it."

Once in a Lifetime track listing:

Disc One:

Sugar on My Tongue
    Love -- Building On Fire
    I Wish You Wouldn't Say That
    Don't Worry About the Government
    Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town (Alternate Version)
    New Feeling (Alternate Version)
    Pulled Up
    Psycho Killer
    Warning Sign
    Artists Only
    Tentative Decisions
    No Compassion
    Stay Hungry
    I'm Not In Love
    The Book I Read
    Thank You for Sending Me An Angel
    Found a Job
    A Clean Break (Live)
    Take Me to the River
    The Big Country
    Heaven

Disc Two:

I Zimbra
    Cities (Alternate Version)
    Life During Wartime
    Air
    Memories Can't Wait
    Drugs (Alternate Version)
    Once in a Lifetime
    Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
    Listening Wind
    Houses in Motion
    Crosseyed and Painless
    Burning Down the House
    Making Flippy Floppy
    Girlfriend Is Better
    Slippery People
    Swamp
    This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)

Disc Three:

And She Was
    Stay Up Late
    Creatures of Love
    The Lady Don't Mind
    Road to Nowhere
    Wild Wild Life
    Love for Sale
    People Like Us
    Puzzlin' Evidence
    City of Dreams
    Blind
    Mr. Jones
    The Democratic Circus
    (Nothing but) Flowers
    In Asking Land (Alternate Take)
    Sax and Violins
    Lifetime Piling Up

Storytelling Giant DVD:

Once in a Lifetime
    Wild Wild Life
    Stay Up Late
    Blind
    Crosseyed and Painless
    Burning Down the House
    And She Was
    Sax and Violins
    This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
    The Lady Don't Mind
    Love for Sale
    (Nothing But) Flowers
    Road to Nowhere

COLIN DEVENISH
    (September 8, 2003)

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for the post, reechie

Sugar on My Tongue, Love -- Building On Fire and, I Wish You Wouldn't Say That are on Sand in the Vaseline the two-cd compilation.

I don't see the single version of Thank You for Sending Me An Angel or the acoustic Psycho Killer. It will be cool to have the videos.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great...

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Where the hell is Name of the Band is Talking Heads?

5. GregY

GregY New Member

No "Cities"?

Nevermind: I see there's an alt version.

6. As I read the list, I was thinking the same thing. Where's "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel" (version). Track listing looks good. Too bad it's not a 4 CD set. They could have then added more unreleased, 7 inch mixes, 12 inch mixes and alternate takes, similar to the last XTC box set.

Glad I kept all my Talking Heads 45s.

Attached Files:

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

There's always hope for them to appear on the album upgrades...

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

As casual listener of The Talking Heads... I'm happy with this collection. I never was a big fan, but I do like very much some of their songs.

9. stereoptic

miike wrote: As I read the list, I was thinking the same thing. Where's "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel" (version).

cool picture sleeve also "the church of Al Green"

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm sure Rhino will upgrade the backkatalog with alternate takes, like Yes, Grateful Dead and others.

11. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Senior Member

I still wish that they had released a version of the True Stories songs with the movie artists doing them. The kids doing Hey Now and the old man doing Papa Legba are amazing.
    Damn I wish that the dvd was done right, in OAR and DTS... Byrne was robbed!
    Anyone else love that movie?

12. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Me too, I have that 7" also - another good one that comes to mind is the extended 12' mix of I Zimbra. I think I have every domestic and UK import 12" from Speaking in Tongues and Little Creatures.

Ken

13. stereoptic

I only saw it once, years ago on VHS. I was disappointed, but I should rent it again and give it another viewing.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Some of the movie performances were used as b-sides for 45s. I agree, though, a full CD of all the movie takes would be a great idea.

15. sydriver

sydriver New Member

What I want to know is Who Is Mastering This Thing? If it's maximized and no noised, I'm Not Interested. But if it's mastered thoughtfully, I'll buy two copies. I love TH.

16. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

Holy ****, and I just started buying the regular cee-dees! :realmad:

Well, so far I have only More Songs and Fear of Music, and I'm planning to buy Remain In Light and '77 soon. At least I will have the "classic" Talking Heads' albums by the time the box comes out.

Good tracklisting however.

17. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

What about the rerecording of Once In A Lifetime for the movie Down & Out in Beverly Hills? Always liked that version.

Brian

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have been waiting for years to see the video clip of the Heads play ''Take Me to the River'' live with Eno in the band. I had the audio of it on cassette but it was stolen.

They were one of my favourite new wave bands - I'm sure that there is plenty of unreleased stuff somewhere which should see the light of day!

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For those that are interested, extended mixes are available via import on a collection called 12 X 12.

20. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

No, you don't wanna do that. Talking Heads on CD have been terrible. You could get a turntable for the money the Heads' discography would cost you. Or perhaps SACD soon.

21. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Yes, I'm another huge fan of this movie. Didn't they come out with an LP of the movie version of the songs? That's one I regret passing up. I always thought it would come out on CD, so I haven't tried to track it down on LP, but maybe I should...

- Joe

22. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

This is a case, of where, waiting for the album remasters, is a better deal.

There's nothing here to justify, at least, a $40 to $50.00 purchase. Even the DVD isn't enticing, enough, for the cost. "Stop Making Sense" will do.

They should go "back to the drawing board", on this one, and put in more rarities, and less "intro"/primer songs.

23. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I'm not too excited about this one, either. The full albums would be much better than another collection from these guys. And "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" was my introduction to them. The live versions of the "Remain In Light" songs on that album were killer; it also includes their BEST version of "Take Me To The River".

"Storytelling Giant" is a gem, not only for the music videos, but for all those (sometimes strange" people interviewed between the clips. But I already have it on a laserdisc.

24. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Maybe they should model an album remasters series after the Elvis Costello remasters ?

Stick the DVD video, into one of the sets, like Clapton did, for his last live album set, and you have something interesting.

25. stereoptic

Wow, I didn't know about that one! Now I'll wait for the remasters and see if it is a bonus track.

I don't think that the 'heads had enough B sides, etc. to fill an entire extra disk for each album ala the E.Costello treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.