Talking Heads "The Name Of The Band is Talking Heads" opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Absolutely LOVE the version of Drugs on the double live album.

pobbard, Exitmusic, DeeThomaz and 3 others like this.
  2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

So, is the 2-disc the only CD issue. The original vinyl contents were never released on CD?

905 likes this.
  3. I have the original vinyl and the expanded CD and think it is a great live album. Agree with trickness, the version of Drugs is excellent.

Sear likes this.
  4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

It’s on of my favorite live albums by anyone.
    I love it.

Sear and Fastnbulbous like this.
  5. The sound quality is better for one and Cross Eyed and Painless is edited.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. The original tracks are largely the same except for the Cross Eyed and Painless edit (or I should say it’s the same performances). It’s better mastered.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

I largely agree, but I do prefer the live version of Pulled Up in TNOTB over the original.

Chemguy likes this.
  8. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I thought they were at their peak during the Fear of Music tour. I saw them at Irving Plaza, and then later on during that tour at Queens College and the Capitol Theater. I also saw the first two shows with the big band at Heatwave which was a music festival in Hamilton with the Pretenders, Rockpile, Elvis Costello, The B-52’s, Teenage Head, and a bunch of other band and then the Central Park Show. Completely out of left field. But I still prefer the four piece band.

frightwigwam likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Good call on the review itself, only, I don't believe in the notion of, "CD Bloat" myself. If an artist is given a chance to re-assess the product due to an extended accomodation in a new media...isn't a listener afforded a similar freedom, to just stop listening? Nobody's keeping either from having that freedom, yet it's always the artist who takes the blame for it.

I'm reminded of the King in the beginning of the Amadeus movie, pulling some lamebrained "critique" out of his royal *ss, merely because he somehow is expected to have a pithy comment, whether he understands it or not. But just knetching because the artist took more initiative to re-release the CD version of an LP with "more art on it", seems similarly disingenuous. I don't recall there being this same sort of criticism back in the days of 10" discs being re-formatted onto LP...but then, there wasn't a wholesale resentment of the LP the same way digital caused vinyl purists to pull every rabbit out of a hat to pillory the CD ( "...you know who else used PITS...? The Devil...!" ).

Davido and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

The bass was sporadically out-of-tune for those earlier live performances. If memory serves, it was more frequent on that '79 tour, for some reason.

11. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I found the CD issue to be too compressed for my taste (DR7). The Rhino reissue vinyl copy I have simply sounds better.

hodgo and humpf like this.
  12. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Yes, “Pulled Up” has its’ definitive version performance on this LP.
    I liked to cheekily pull out this LP whenever someone called them “The” …

As for “Pulled Up”, sheer perfection on this performance!: The band actually sounded very happy!
    From the beginning dry intro: “The name of this song is ‘Pulled Up’ “, to the exhaustedly warbled “Thank you very much! ... auuurgh!... ”, topped off my someone yelling “F*! Yes!” just before launching into the alt lyrics version of “Psycho Killer”, you could tell history was being made with this recording. This version of this song just makes me wanna dance and sing along!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  13. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely agree that the Version of Drugs is amazing and Electricity (Drugs) is a cool alternate take.

Also the 8 minute Born Under Punches? WOW!!!:pineapple::bigeek:

14. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

For me, the original album somehow was both a greatest hits compilation, a specific song sequence, told a little story, and a live document. The expanded edition loses the flow, and certainly seems less focused. It's the same running time as the first four albums from which it's drawn.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the expanded edition. I actually kind of wish it was more expanded (1975-2002). But I still listen to the original more.

15. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

It's 2 of my favourite live albums :righton:

Sear and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Essential.
    Documents a great band at the height of it's power

Moshe likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've written this elsewhere, but :
    Sadly, the CD is missing the 'smooth-funk' opening for "Crosseyed & Painless".....
    boo, I say....

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My favourite Talking Heads release.

The first LP of the set sounds like they were playing in my room

19. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

I really like the album but the CD issue is horribly loud - so much so that I struggle to listen to it :shake:

humpf likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have the CD, and I think you simply must be very sensitive to these things. It's a perfectly good listen on CD, imo. Not to mention, we waited long enough for it, and it includes bonus tracks.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I've never understood the comments saying that it's mastered too loud,I've always found it an enjoyable listen,it's not like a 2009 remastered Rolling Stones cd!

905, Lewisboogie and Vaughan like this.
  22. I love it, both the original LP and the expanded CD. Stop Making Sense may be a better place to start for newbies and a more complete overview of their career (in its expanded form that is), but TNOTBITH is more fun.

Vaughan, dlokazip and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

this thread will get me listening to it again... having just seen david byrne/american utopia on broadway (a must see if you're in nyc area!) i'm on a bit of a talking heads binge now and then..

only saw talking heads twice, but great shows- central park the week that 'fear of music' was released (still a four piece, and their opening act was the B-52's, i think), and in washington dc during the stop making sense tour....

Lewisboogie and frightwigwam like this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I love it.
    I've got both the original double vinyl and the expanded Rhino double CD.

A great chronicle of a great band.

DeeThomaz and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. Winston O'Boogie

Winston O'Boogie Forum Resident

Which version is better mastered, the original double LP or the Rhino 2 CD?