Tampa, FL record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by indy mike, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

We're headed to Florida in June for some vacation time - any good cd/record stores I need to visit? I dig the Big Beat (garage bands, rockabilly) on cd, so places with imports are ones I like to visit...

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Which side of the bay will you be on? In Tampa, Vinyl Fever, recently moved to a large store on Henderson (South Tampa)has a lot of interesting items. The best place for used is Sound Exchange (North Tampa, Brandon & Pinellas Park locations). Banana's in two huge remote warehouses in St. Pete has an incredible selection of vinyl, but is difficult to navigate in. Just shelves & shelves of records with no marked prices. You bring them to the counter for grading & pricing (some room for negotiation there too).

http://www.musicfinder.com/

http://www.vinylfever.com/tampa/

http://www.tellusmore.net/tampa/soundexchange/soundexchange.htm

Let me know if I can help you in any way. I've lived her for 18 years.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

There was a store down in Tampa I visited in the 80's, real cool place called Q Records.
    Lots of imports and stuff others stores wouldn't dream of carrying. I left there much poorer but happy.

Wonder if they're still around?

4. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I've been here since '86 and don't remember that one. Perhaps Pat (forum detective) knows.

5. indy mike

Busch Gardens area locationwise..... Thanx for the hints - keep them coming!

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I live 12 mins North of BG, so know the area quite well. You'll want to go to the Sound Exchange on Livingston & Bearss (less than 10 mins away). Also MAKE SURE you go to Sensuous Sound on Busch Blvd, within walking distance of Busch Gardens-all new CDs are $10.99, nice jazz section also, but not deep catalogue on either Jazz or Rock, though sometimes you can find some surprises. You have to walk past all the surround sound equipment (they are also McIntosh dealers and display some used components) to get to the CD section. Their business model is to get you in to the store with the cheap CDs and hope you buy some equipment.
    Go for lunch at Mel's Hot Dogs right outside the park for Vienna Beef (1 block from Sensuous Sound!). If it rains, you can hit the Museum of Science & Industry about .5 miles from BG-A lot of hands on for kids.

7. indy mike

Wunnerful! Tunes and deeeeelicious Chicago Hot Doggies!!!

8. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Hey there Indy!

Jay has definitely got you on "the right track" with everything he's mentioned above. I would also suggest CD CITY at the corner of Fletcher and Dale Mabry. Not a big store, but decent prices on used CDs and some rare items at times! Definitely go to Sound Exchange and Vinyl Fever though, great suggestions from Jay!

Hey Mike, what are you looking for in the "vinyl" realm...I might part with some items, ya know!

9. indy mike

No vinyl - I'm a digital drink coaster kinda guy. I wanna get a good table, but that comes after getting thge dough socked away for a McIntosh MC202 amp...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.