Tangerine Dream - Pilots of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

2. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

Yes I am. Even more compared to the Hades box.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

hi_watt, klockwerk, Maurice and 7 others like this.
  3. uzn007

A bunch of individual tracks showing up "not yet available" downloads on Amazon UK: Amazon.co.uk : tangerine dream purple twilight

Has there been any indication of whether this will be available in the US? I ordered Hades from Burning Shed and am tempted to do the same this time, to ensure I'm not shut out.

4. uzn007

Per my last post, do you know anything about availability in the US?

If this is half as good as the Hades box, it will be great.

5. HorrorCosmic

HorrorCosmic Forum Resident

Beamish13 likes this.
  6. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

“But this one’s nickel!”

the music from The Keep is so glorious

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Some great sequencer work on this period of the band.
    Thief has some serious mojo in those sequences. Love it .
    The guitar work , man what a record.
    What a band. Glorious.
    Roland Jupiter 8 what a machine.
    She just sparkles.

8. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

As far as I know, multitrack digital recording only became possible in 83/84, and was then used by only a handful of people (Hyperborea was released in 83). I'm not sure when TD started to record digitally.
    Anyway, word is that the multitracks for this period are missing. Hence, no remixing. Whether that means that they're nonexistent/destroyed or just not available, and how it came to be so, I do not know.

andrewskyDE, Yufri and uzn007 like this.
  9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Great news until I started to read about the box set’s contents. With this set, I’ll probably just buy the individual remastered albums. Ben Wiseman did an excellent job remastering all of the recordings from the first set. I think it’s a shame that there aren’t any 5.1 surround sound mixes on blu-ray. There also really aren’t any bonuses to be found like there was in the first set. I’ll pass.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered myself. Still, I've been a fan for decades. I have the Risky Business disc, and I have The Keep.

Still, I obviously see value in the set. That said, Surround mixes are a huge selling point, and something no-one will have had before. Now that's a real rarity. :)D) Also, TD's music is just made for Surround!

I'll buy it, but it hasn't matched the first set really. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, if they get the masterings right.

formu_la and Slim Zooms like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I won't be passing - but Surround Sound is such a great extra to get. I'd of gladly paid more is they had included some.

Oh, and I may be alone, but I really hate the cover art on this AND the first set. My mind goes back to the great artwork of those earlier albums, and just how bad it became in later years. Their modern artwork is appallingly bad. This is just boring.

izgoblin and Slim Zooms like this.
  12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm still slowly but surely working my way through the Hades box, which i love. Picked it up when the price dropped to £60ish on amazon. I was just playing Cyclone from the box the other day, Oedipus Tyrannus has become a big favourite.

So for a newish fan lacking serious TD expertise, would you recommend the 80's era to someone who like the Hades box a lot? I'm kind of inclined to dive in seeing that i got a good deal last time.

Edit - just checked price, definitely worth a pre-order as its under £100, will give some of the albums a quick sample on youtube/spotify.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. Mirror Image

Thankfully, the artwork isn’t the selling point, the music is. The price point for what you get with this box set isn’t appealing to me. Like I said, I’ll probably end up buying the remasters individually and, if anything, just buy Tangram since it’s one of my favorite Tangerine Dream albums.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My goodness. You have to keep in mind that TD have had various phases in their career, and they're distinctly different. This box covers some prog type albums, leading into heavy sequencer works with oddles of melody. The first box can loosely be thought of as mostly "atmospheres", the new box brings some beautiful tunes to the mix. It truly is wonderful music, and if you can swing the fee, I'd strongly encourage you to continue your TD journey. Things didn't get dodgy until the 90's, imo. At that point, it all began to sound pretty much the same, and they lost their way. Everything - and I mean everything - up to that point is astonishingly good.

anduandi, octopus92, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  15. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

I find it hard to make a recommendation based on the Hades box alone. In my opinion, Tangram is the key, as it looks both to the past and the future. In fact, if someone asked me where to start with TD, I would have two possible answers: either start with Phaedra (or earlier) and work your way forward, or start with Tangram and, if you like that one, work your way backwards and forwards depending on your mood and where the music takes you. (That answer assumes a cut-off point after Franke left. After that, you will have to ask yourself anew if this is still music you want to listen to.)

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just ordered from Burning Shed as well, since I really want this and who knows if Amazon US will sell, and Amazon.UK won't ship to the US.

17. This era is much more commercially oriented than the Hades era set. Have you checked out the Ohr Four era: Atem, Electronic Meditations, Zeit, Alpha Centuari?

moodyxadi and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This interests me. Enjoyed the 5.1's in the Hades box.... but at 120-140 with no 5.1, I just can't really justify it.

bholz, Slim Zooms and Mirror Image like this.
  19. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Got Atem and Zeit, on top of Hades box.

Slim Zooms and zphage like this.
  20. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

This box is too expensive for me. Not saying it's bad value but I can't afford it at the moment. I have therefore gone for the Amazon mp3 download which is £26.99. That's good value although the Amazon mp3 bitrate is still below many other digital stores. It's crazy that the mp3 digital version of the first is still over £75. I don't think I will ever buy it.

A great selection of tracks. I was beginning to think some of the masters for soundtracks such as Solider or The Keep didn't exist anymore. Maybe the band just weren't interested in realising the old stuff at that point. I do wish good versions of some of the stellar electronic tracks the played on live early 80s live shows, such as Calymba Caly & The Horns of Doom, had been included.

Wishful thinking but it would be good to do a similar boxset for the "Jive" years and include the whole complete Warsaw concert, not the studio creation : )

LivingForever likes this.
  21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Excellent, I'm in. Lots of good bonus material.

Runicen likes this.
  22. Mirror Image

An Amazon mp3 download? Yuck! I guess you’re a fan of horrendous audio quality. Why don’t you just wait and buy it from Qobuz?

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I expect because like most people, he can’t tell the difference between high quality MP3 files and CDs. Also I don’t believe Qobuz is available everywhere...

24. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

Also, probably because qobuz is trying to sell ISOH for pretty much the same price as the normal price for the physical box set — 140€ in their German store. (And that’s all CD quality, no high-res files included.)

LivingForever likes this.
  25. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Logos Live is my favourite TD album so to have the Dominion Concert included in its entirety is great news indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.