Tangerine Dream - Pilots of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It was $145 with shipping when I ordered yesterday.

Maurice likes this.
  2. uzn007

Thanks for your permission.

3. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

Hi,

The Keep is not missing 3 tracks.
    For the box set, the original 1984 master tapes were unearthed.
    That means that the box set contains the 1:1 original album that was planned for release in early 1984, but was scrapped and shelved when the movie - which was already released for some months - was a box office flop.
    The version released by TD in 1997 is based on the 1984 planned album, adding three tracks, some overdubs and edits.

The complete story about the 1984 album version of The Keep is printed in the book that comes with the Pilots.. box. It will be the end to all myths, rumours and assumptions.

The Pilots... box contains the long-awaited 1984 version of The Keep album - a standalone album, just like TD released their scores of Thief, Sorcerer and Firestarter - to name a few. So don't expect raw cues of The Keep (...the cd in the box featuring The Soldier does feature the individual cues), but a full length mixed and mastered album that stands up in its own right - and musically is a logical follow-up to Hyperborea.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. Wouter

No, they don't exist AFAIK.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Juggsnelson and Howard Bleach like this.
  5. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I just put it in my basket on Burning Shed - I was pleased to see they now rebate the VAT (they never used to do that) however with £28.xx shipping it came to between $138 and $148 - depending on who was doing the currency conversion.
    I also wasted an hour of my life on-line chatting to Amazon.co.uk "Service Agents", four of them! They couldn't figure out why it was restricted to domestic sales. The last guy tried to cheer me up by telling me that, things may change closer to the release date. I'm not holding my breath.
    I've got a feeling that the £ could weaken against the $US before October, so I'm sitting on the fence right now.

ispace and uzn007 like this.
  6. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Well I think the extras they did include were fine:

The Soldier soundtrack - some great cues if you are a fan of the 82-83 material. There was a bootleg CD release of this but it was totally bogus with most tracks being fake.

The Keep - only released as a very limited edition

Tracks from various soundtracks that have only been available on vinyl and/or bootlegs

The full Logos concert

As I prefer 80s TD to 70s the above extras are fine to me and they are on the top of most TD fans most wanted list. I will end up buying them as digital downloads individually. I don't need the remastered album as I am happy with the originals.

I also don't need the 5.1 mixes as I don't have, and probably will never have, the kind of equipment to appreciate them properly.

On the minus side,
    Thief and The Keep are both missing tracks
    No unreleased tracks such as Calymba Caly
    No East Berlin 81

Is it worth £99. That's down to the person. Some would pay that for The Keep alone.

ispace, factory44, Slim Zooms and 3 others like this.
  7. humanracer

Amazing tip thanks. The tracks are way more expensive on the UK site. I will grab those I need.

8. humanracer

Maybe but the extras on ISOH have thus far not been released individually?

9. humanracer

That's a real shame. I think Calymba Caly is one of the best things they ever composed, IMO.

No idea if you can say but is there chance of doing anything with the post 83 material? I know the Jive era releases were licensed to Cherry Red records.

10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

It’s just an opinion. I’m allowed to speak my mind here, right? I thought that was what a forum was all about.

11. uzn007

That certainly does appear to be the case.

LivingForever likes this.
  12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Well, you read into it whatever the hell you want. I’ll say whatever I want here.

13. uzn007

I don't doubt it.

The_Windmill and LivingForever like this.
  14. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

They're available on streaming services, but if you mean downloads or physical releases – no.

15. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

edit (time limited expired): my answer doesn't take into account Japanese releases

16. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Ordered. I like purple.

izgoblin and uzn007 like this.
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Ordered from cd services. Best shipping fee to North America so far.

18. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I think I need this but I'm waiting till it gets closer to the release date to hopefully avoid paying international shipping

19. Wouter

Hi,

Certainly not by Universal, as post-1983 material is owned by various companies - and the band itself.

There are several anthologies available of the Pink and Blue Years, such as the excellent Dream Roots Collection box that was released in 1996 and that contained one disc of previously unreleased recordings by Froese and Franke from late 1985. If you don't have that particular box: hunt it down, as it's excellent. Great booklet too, BTW.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

20. Wouter

Hi,

The Keep is not missing tracks.
    Thief is not missing tracks.
    And TD did not play East Berlin in 81.
    What are you talking about?

And why complaining about what you don't get, instead of being happy about what you do get?
    Especially when you haven't heard one second of the Pilots... box set yet.
    I mean, why the negativity? :)

For this box set, I have written the accompanied book, did some additional research and pre-mastering and provided compilation assistence.
    Altogether, seven months of hard and dedicated work. Labour of love.

Now it's out.
    Consider the late Virgin years by TD done by now.
    This is it. Holy grails included.

Enjoy the music.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

21. uzn007

It's missing the one non-TD track that appeared on the original soundtrack album, but I wouldn't expect that to be included any more than I'd expect Bob Seger's song from Risky Business to be included.

Slim Zooms and Juggsnelson like this.
  22. Wouter

Hi,

No, it wasn't on the original soundtrack album.
    It was part of the US pressing (that omitted one TD track BTW) - not the original version that was first released in Europe.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can totally respect your feelings, as you're close to the set. That and the fact that there is a lot of additional material - I've happily pre-ordered.

That said, that extra track on Thief is magnificent, and really closes the album beautifully (at least on the CD I have). It's absence, musically speaking, is a loss. I can understand why it's not there - but it would have been better to include it.

My main gripe is the lack of 5.1 Surround mixes. TD's music is made for 5.1, imo. That and the simple point that the last box had some 5.1. It's a shame there's none here.

I love this period of Dream, and I hope the mastering is good. Either way, I've already ordered.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. humanracer

Ah appreciate your points. I meant Pergamon East Berlin 1980.

Maybe you had to keep it to 10 discs?

25. Wouter

Hi,

Pergamon is not owned by Virgin/UMC anymore.
    And the complete (and unaltered) East Berlin 1980 gig was released by Esoteric a couple of years ago in the second volume of the Official Bootleg Series - as it's not owned by Virgin/UMC.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.