Tangerine Dream - Pilots of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

Hi,

The Thief-track you speak about is not performed by TD, so it's not relevant to this box set. AND - I repeat - it wasn't part of the original first Virgin release.
    Same goes for the OST Risky Business non-TD tracks; these haven't been included too.

The absence of 5.1 mixes is that the multis are missing for this period.

Again: why complaining about stuff that's not in the box, instead of being happy of what you do get? IMHO that's a shame...
    TD fans are so damn hard to please! : )

Best wishes,
    Wouter

2. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

The East Berlin concerts are out on the Bootleg Series.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I acknowledged I'd already bought the box, which I hoped would indicate that I'm looking forward to getting the package. :)

A lack of multi's is plain sad, isn't it. So much great music is lost. Given this point, what exactly are the discs mastered from? What should our expectation be on improved sound?

On Thief, I'm aware it wasn't TD - merely done in their style. But damn, it is sooooo good. Although, as mentioned earlier, the disc I most want to hear is Exit. :)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Wouter

Hi,

The discs are mastered from the original first generation album master tapes.
    Remastering by Ben Wiseman.
    Improved sound? Sure is.
    If you have the Hades box from last year, you know what to expect - remastering wise.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

5. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

:D The bitching seems to be built into this forum. Honestly, it can be ... unnerving. Though I do thank you for answering the questions and giving us some background / historic information. Thanks!
    Ibam still waiting for this set coming to German shoos, such as JPC, then I'm in. Hades is one of the most interesting sets I own, and it's so well done. And this one does look like a worthy counterpart. I'm excited.

Mbe, ispace, Slim Zooms and 4 others like this.
  6. Wouter

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up!
    It's for people like you we do our dedicated work for : )

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

FTFY. ;)

Thanks for the what you did here, looks amazing!!

Slim Zooms and Wouter like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

@Wouter

Is any of this material going to be available as shmcds By Virgin Japan as in the previous box? Thank you.

9. Wouter

Hi,

Don't know. That's up to the Japanese division of UMC.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

@Wouter - many thanks for the great work on this (I have also enjoyed what you did with Akkerman and looking forward to the Focus set). Do you know if this is going to be released in North America (specifically Canada) or should I be tracking down a UK pre-order?

11. Wouter

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.
    I've just done an archival box set on Focus (1970-1976), planned for release in November.

I think the Pilots... box set sells through Amazon, please check it out.

Best wishes,
    Wouter

12. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Glad to see you answering all of these questions Wouter. Hard-core fans are a tough bunch to please but you are doing a magnificent job. Thanks!

soundQman, ispace, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hello there! TD had two concerts at the Palast Der Republik in East Berlin '80, both happened on the same day, an afternoon and evening show.
    The latter was widely released since 1980. I've seen a cassette bootleg set titled White Cloths (Tangerine Dream - White Cloths ) that allegedly contains 46 minutes of the afternoon concert.
    My question: Do you maybe know if this other concert also exists in full?

Slim Zooms likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Only the evening concert. A snippet of the afternoon concert was released on a 25 copies limited(!) cassette bootleg. Wish I had that cassette set...

15. Wouter

Hi,

That particular bit on the cassette bootleg of the afternon concert you mention is in fact a 1:1 copy of the Quichotte/Pergamon album, so it's a bogus one all the way!

Best wishes,
    Wouter

ispace and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Typical of some members of this forum to nitpick about anything & everything.

jimod99 likes this.
  17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks for keeping us updated Wouter!
    Hoping Amazon.ca does carry the Focus and Tangerine Pilots, the UK Amazon won't ship here and the Burning Shed shipping is over 50 GBP.

Wouter and Gez like this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Looks cool!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah okay, that's good to know. Thanks!

20. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I take it the albums will be released separately too?

21. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

As for Thief, there is (was) an unauthorized cd edition with 15 tracks altogether. I have found a second hand copy on Ebay back in the day and, after analyzing the songs (among others in the Spek program) they seem to be legit lossless files. As I adore the aforesaid movie, I can only go with the soundtrack that has as many tracks from the movie as possible. If this box set would have contained the 15 tracks version of the soundtrack I would have purchased it easily. The rest of the TD albums I like I already have in digital format and I'm not that a big of a fan to invest into this box set although it looks snappy!

Here is the 15 track Thief compact disc I was talking about:

Tangerine Dream - Thief
    [​IMG]

ArpMoog likes this.
  22. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

If a Bob Seger song was included, I'd expect the price to be lower.
    :biglaugh::hide:

23. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Yes, but the extra goodies -- IMO the real appeal of the box-- are only in the box.

24. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I have got a recording of a Radio Eins interview with Jerome and as far as I remember, he said that among other things he was working on cleaning up a recording of a 1980 TD show at the Hygienemuseum in Dresden. He brought along and played an 8+ min. excerpt of it! So at least that ONE show from 80/81 exists on tape and in possession of the band or Jerome.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

This is my favourite musical period of the band. It was 1981, when I was 13, that I heard about Tangerine Dream. First LP I bought was Exit. Still one of my fondest.
    For me, the full Dominion concert and Soldier are worth getting the set. I was over the moon when I saw the post about the heads up. Now, the wait commences...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.