Tangerine Dream: The Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by george nadara, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident Thread Starter

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

So far CONFIRMED concerts in Germany and some EUROPEAN countries - MORE concerts will follow soon:

03 APRIL 2014 Copenhagen (DK) - TIVOLI - World Premiere of the complete "SORCERER" soundtrack/Movie by William Friedkin

07 - 12 APRIL 2014 CRUISE TO THE EDGE (see below)

18 MAY 2014 Tel Aviv (IL) - Charles Bronfman Auditorium - TICKETS: SOON!!
    22 MAY 2014 Paris (F) - Le Trianon
    23 MAY 2014 London (UK) - O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
    24 MAY 2014 Nijmegen (NL) - Concertgebouw de Vereeniging
    26 MAY 2014 Munich (DE) – Circus Krone
    27 MAY 2014 Stuttgart (DE) – Theaterhaus
    28 MAY 2014 Nuremberg (DE) - Meistersingerhalle
    30 MAY 2014 Berlin (DE) – Admiralspalast
    31 MAY 2014 Offenbach close to Frankfurt/Main, (DE) – Capitol
    01 JUNE 2014 Cologne (DE) – Theater am Tanzbrunnen
    02 JUNE 2014 Cologne (DE) – Theater am Tanzbrunnen - ADDITIONAL GIG!
    03 JUNE 2014 Vienna (AT) - GASOMETER
    04 JUNE 2014 Warsaw (PL) - Hala Arena Ursynow
    06 JUNE 2014 Moscow (RU) - Crocus City Hall
    07 JUNE 2014 St. Petersburg (RU) - Lensoveta Palace Of Culture
    09 JUNE 2014 Turin (I) - Teatro Colosseo

3. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I hope they expand the tour to the US. One of my favorite bands and I've never seen them live.

4. KLF.

KLF. Active Member

They could set the stage with cardboard cutouts in front of banks of computers and with the right lighting effects no bugger would notice.
    Sorry if people take offence ?
    They were well past there live sell buy date years ago .
    Before anyone has a go at me.
    I have seen them live many times.
    I have everything on vinyl /CD and downloads they have ever done.
    There are some brilliant bands around now that have taken what TD did when they were great to another level.
    KLF.

izgoblin likes this.
  5. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Favorite album : their first, Electronic meditation. Before synthesizers took over...

Jupitermadcat and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  6. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Interesting....can you recommend me some ?
    My favourite era of TD is mid 70ies to mid 80ies.

7. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I saws them in the UK (Bristol, Colston Hall 1990) when I was a student. I've loved them for over thirty years. I haven't followed their career much since the end of the 90s but their output has been phenomenal. They produced some of the most memorable music of my youth.

8. Saw them at Leicester De Montford Hall (England) in 1986.

Love the early albums and most of their Virgin stuff.

Radio Massacre International, Redshift and Wavestar are examples of British bands that take significant inspiration from the Tangerine Dream of the 70s (all three UK bands are worth checking out if you are a TD fan).

9. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I would also suggest 'Peru' and their 1989 album, 'Constellations'.

Regards

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Saw them twice Hammersmith Odeon 78, and Manchester Apollo 82

rbbert likes this.
  11. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

My favorite band ever. After Chris Franke left the magic was gone, unfortunately. But the classic lineup with Edgar Froese, Chris Franke, and Peter Baumann was unparalleled for cosmic atmospheric angst, alien beauty, and exciting improvisational space music. Then with Johannes Schmoelling as Baumann's replacement, they became wonderful, albeit more conventional composers, with great sophisticated structured pieces and exquisite melodies. They learned much through their soundtrack work and constantly expanding repertory of new synthesizers and sounds, which they then applied to good effect in their studio albums. I saw them live on the three dates in the midwest during their first North American tour (1976, captured on the Encore album) when Stratosphere had been released. This was the most amazing live sound experience and musical ecstasy I'd ever encountered. Later I saw them in San Francisco ten years later, after Paul Haslinger joined and they had released Underwater Sunlight. Good show, still, but not as mind-bending as the early years.

Finally I saw them a little over two years ago in DC at the historic Howard Theater. By then they had become bombastic live, and featured ugly, pedestrian, screaming guitar solos and an aggressive wall-of-synth sound with no spaces in the music for silence, subtlety or surprise. They've run their course, IMO. Edgar Froese has lost any semblance of good taste or respect for his past achievements. It's just as well they are throwing in the towel on touring at this point.

12. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Since 1982, i have selected a few records that imho are still really enjoyable :
    Poland
    Underwater Sunlight
    220 v live

for those who dont know this concert
    this one made in 1980 in DDR ( east part of germany ) named Quichotte or Pergamon ( mine is named like this )

it's MARVELOUS

[​IMG]

nsmith1002 likes this.
  13. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Add Cosmic Smokers to newer bands who sound like classic Tangerine Dream.

14. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

I still spin "Rubycon" regularly. such a fantastic album. beautiful analog sounds.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's the crown jewel of all their work, to me. Which is saying something - well over a hundred albums by now, I think. Lost count long ago.

bopdd likes this.
  16. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Count me in for anything from the Mellotron era, and let's just throw in the Froese solo records, ESPECIALLY "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale", which I prefer to any Tangerine Dream album. I still occasionally, but rarely spin their early 70's records. It has to be late, as I'm the only who likes them.

bopdd likes this.
  17. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

If I could only pony up the airfare to Copenhagen to check out Sorcerer live. That should be awesome.

Peter Baumann's first solo album, Romance 76, is no slouch either. Recommended.

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/romance_76.htm

Later, Chris

klockwerk likes this.
  18. KLF.

KLF. Active Member

Do a google for the UK Hampshire Jam or Musiczeit.
    Look back over who has played there over the years and you will end up with a good list.
    People like Red Shift/Brendan Pollard/AirSculpture and loads of others using original 70s and 80s kit.
    I can make a big list of people if you are really interested?
    KLF.

19. john kelly

john kelly Member

Saw them in Glasgow in 97 and then Edinburgh 2007..loved both gigs. If theres no Scottish date (looks like they wont come up here again) I wont see them again ever...I've followed them since the Poland album. I have almost everything theyve done and I know folks jumped off at certain periods but I honestly like all periods of the band. Fave would have to be the virgin years but my fave album of theirs is Underwater Sunlight. On point though I feel Edgar is putting out far too much music. It gets to be a bit much when theres 4 or 5 albums per year sometimes more sometimes less...and when Edgar passes away or retires theres enough music in the can for about 100 albums.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's his business model now: modest sales to hardcore fans like us through his website - people who will buy all 4 or 5 albums every year, plus live shows for special occasions and subsequent videos. Avoids the hassles of dealing with a record company, promoter and manager. I respect Edgar's amazing work ethic, but sometimes an artist needs to slow down, take stock, and be reflective about the work, quality, and inspiration of it all. He needs to be more selective and reserve releases for his best ideas. The last album that stood out from what has become the run-of-the mill was Madcap's Flaming Duty, and that album had extra outside distribution and promotion that went beyond the usual as well. On the TD website Edgar explains the decision to stop touring has more to do with the questionable financial viability of it, rather than health or aging issues.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Try Cliff Martinez's score to "Solaris"!

22. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

When they were touring to support Cyclone, Edgar said that they had stuff recorded that was just too much for a contemporary audience to deal with, so they hadn't released it. Has this stuff ever seen the light of day?

Slightly OT, I'm looking forward to the release of Sorceror on BluRay.

23. stanleyb

stanleyb Forum Resident

I saw TD live in 1980 which I guess must have been he Tangram tour. It was a great show but for me the magic was starting to fade, mainly down to the "upgrading" of their equipment away from analogue synths and mellotrons. Still play the 70's output regularly, a particular fave being my vinyl copy of Encore.

24. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident Thread Starter

Over the last 20 years, the albums I have listened to the most...

Tangerine Trees Vol. 1: Nottingham 1976
    Tyranny of Beauty
    Phaedra
    Aqua - Froese
    Encore
    Romance '76 - Baumann

25. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Thanks a lot, but that is not necessary. I'll check out the few you've named and that'll be it. I'm buying too much music anyway:help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.