Tangerine Dream: The Pink Years Albums, 1970 – 73, 4CD Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I just noticed this is getting a Sept 28th release from Esoteric.

SOURCE: Tangerine Dream: The Pink Years Albums, 1970 - 73, 4CD Remastered Clamshell Box Set - Cherry Red Records

I've honestly lost count of the number of times I've bought these - at least four times each. I assume these are not, in fact, "newly remastered", but are in fact the previous remastering by Esoteric, repackaged. I don't have them to hand, but I recall thinking the mastering was okay.

I'm not super excited by this, since as I say, I have them all already many times. But might be something for those that are yet to get them. I have several Esoteric "clamshell boxes", and they're sturdy boxes. They usually come with inferior cover artwork though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

My money says you are correct,any Esoteric TD I have heard is just an old version but with NR killing the highs.I still have the Zeit box set just for the fact it looks cool and is one of my favorite albums,but i never listen to it.The only early TD I have purchased in the past few years that have been an improvement were the 4 SHM SACD of their first 4 Virgin albums.I am still holding out hope that the tapes for the OHR albums exist in the Virgin archives and will get a similar release.

Front 242 Addict, Mbe and Vaughan like this.
  3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Zeit and Atem were 2xcd releases from Reactive/Esoteric (Cherry Red) the second cds being live sets,
    also the Reactive/Esoteric Alpha Centauri included bonus tracks which are not listed as being included on the latest re-mastered release.

I had a query with Cherry Red sometime ago regarding Tangerine Dream to which they did state the sources as being
    attained through the correct official channels, named as only Tangerine Dream.

It could well be an exciting journey if they produce the goods with the first lux box presentation and mastering of course.

I would like to see more live material being released as a continuation (into the 1980’s) of the two set Official Bootleg series v1 v2 clamshell box formats.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Front 242 Addict and Vaughan like this.
  4. roul

roul Well-Known Member

Sadly, I too think these will be only a repackaged reissue...
    The 2011 Esoterics were sourced from 80's Relativity CDs so they neither were "newly remastered" but only re-equalized...
    We'll see.

Mbe likes this.
  5. Daniel Leone

Daniel Leone Forum Resident

The release date has changed to October's 19.
    Don't know why tho...
    Oh well :laugh:

6. Daniel Leone

Hey, in the Juno UK there's a digital download of this box and, surprisingly, the sound quality is better than the 2011 remasters, even in compessed sample quality!
    Trust me, I've compared them side by side with the 2011 remasters. There is a lot of tape hiss especially in Zeit, so, seems they didn't used noise reduction or, at least, they used it in very small amounts.
    Check out yourself: TANGERINE DREAM The Pink Years Albums 1970 1973 vinyl at Juno Records.

Echo likes this.
  7. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Bought this set a couple of days ago, and the albums have definitely been remastered.

I did a back to back with the previous Esoteric cds, via headphones, and there is an audible improvement. Slightly quieter, more dynamic, tape hiss sounds more natural and less forced, and stereo panning effects are smoother.

Overall, a more relaxing and involving listen.

But you'll have to hang on to the previous editions for the missing bonus material and detailed liner notes.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Good to know, as I bought this Set and was delivered last week, but had not had time to hear it. I thought the 2011 2 CD Sets looked nice for packaging, but the price would have been close to $90 to get all 4 Titles, and The Pink Years Box Set from Amazon(US) was only $30.

This Box Set is the same design(including the Outer Box) as the Hawkwind-'This is Your Captain Speaking' Box Set(which had a few more CDs/Titles in it), so I was concerned about the Cardboard Sleeves leaving the CDs scratched, but all 4 CDs in the Tangerine Dream Pink Years Box Set look to be free of any Scratches New out of the Box. I played Electronic Meditation the past year a few times streamed, and liked the early Pink Floyd Sound, so looking forward to hearing the other 3 Albums in this Box Set.

I bought Phaedra CD Used in NM Condition and liked that Album, so stoked for the Steven Wilson 5.1 Tangerine Dream Virgin Years Box Set in 2019. Being a Massive SW Fan, just a strange coincidence that I checked out a few TD Albums in the past year before finding out that SW is also a fan of their Music(unlike for Jethro Tull, where it was SW's work on Remixing their Albums, that got me interested to check out the Music of JT, otherwise would have most likely never had gotten into checking out their Music and cost me more money buying the Deluxe Book Box Sets).

9. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

Question: How does this remastered "The Pink Years" Box Set sound, compared to other releases of these four albums?

10. Daniel Leone

I wrote a full review in this thread: Tangerine Dream - All purpose CD comparison thread *
    In short: it sounds awesome and absolutely better than the 2011 Remasters.

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I bought the Pink Years Box Set as the Price was great compared to buying all 4 Titles(2011) Releases, although the Packaging looked nice for the 2011 Releases and there was a 2 CD(Live Recordings?) with the 2011 Releases.

I still have not made time to listen to The Pink Years Box Set though, as have bought a lot of Music this year.

12. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Thanks! Purchased this box set immediately after reading your positive review.

13. Daniel Leone

You're welcome!
    Yeah, finally a good remaster of TD's first albums!

Echo likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I still have Zeit and Atem on my wishlist.
    Probably gonna buy the 2-CD edition of Zeit (because of 'Klangwald' on the second disc).
    So, could anyone recommend me what's the best CD (re)master of Atem?

15. Daniel Leone

The best "Atem" remaster is the one included in this box-set IMO.
    The 2nd best is the 2011 Esoteric.

The best non-remastered version is the 1986 Jive/Electro CD.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. Daniel Leone

@andrewskyDE
    Have you heard the quality of the Esoteric 2011 remasters?

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Alright. Thanks!

I previously was listening to the early TD albums via YouTube (I don't own any of the albums prior Phaedra), so I'm not sure if I heard the Esoteric remasters before.
    I like Zeit and Atem but, unfortunately, the other earlier albums not so much.

18. Daniel Leone

This is the 2011 "Zeit":
    And this is the 2011 "Atem": Tangerine Dream - Atem (2CD Expanded Edition)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

20. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

The two disc Esoterics will get you the bonus cds with rare live performances.

But the recent Pink Years box set has the better sound for the core albums. Here are my more detailed thoughts after doing a side by side comparison:

Tangerine Dream – The Pink Years (2018 reissue) (****)

ispace, elvisizer, Jimijam and 2 others like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Vaughan, morning I cannot find a thread on the forthcoming Tangerine Dream "In Search of Hades" the Virgin years. Due out on 14th June 2019.

22. Vaughan

Flaming Torch and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

24. Vaughan

Agreed.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.