Tanita Tikaram — thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

2. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Forum Resident

I discovered her from Twist in My Sobriety as many others and continued to buy her albums through the 90s. Last one was Cappuccino Songs from 1998. Then I lost track of her, looks like it was 7 years until her next album, so haven't checked out the last 3. Really love the 1st two albums, but I'm also a big fan of this one from Cappuccino Songs:

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Forum Resident

It's nice they are reissuing the debut album, but they could have done a bit more with it to include bonus material. It's too bad that Tanita doesn't really get the respect she deserves for making some terrific music. All of her Warner albums recorded between 1988 and 1995 were stellar. However her albums after that -- especially "The Cappuccino Songs" from 1998 and "Sentimental" from 2004 were brilliant, but sadly overlooked. Her latest two albums from Ear Music in 2012 and 2016 showed she hasn't lost her knack for writing catchy, yet introspective tunes -- and I must say that over the years, Tanita who appeared overly serious at the beginning of her career (but hey, she was only 19 and I'm sure it was a lot to take in at the time) seems to have lightened up some in recent years.

I sure would love to see all of her discography released on vinyl, especially since some of the albums were released in the format before.

4. Limopard

Limopard Forum Resident

My CD re-release arrived today and it is underwhelming, to say the least. Ten out of eleven tracks are identical (or nearly identical) to the standard CD, but a DR 9 (formerly DR 16) „Twist In My Sobriety“, apparently pasted in from a different source, sticks out. It is lowered in volume by 4 dB but is (at least in my perception) still considerably louder than the rest of the album. The booklet is a sub-standard reprint of the original with the fine print blurred and sometimes hardly readable. On the other hand there are some hand-written notes by Tanita and the two extra tracks are quite nice.

5. stepeanut

stepeanut Forum Resident