Tannoy Arden Legacy have landed! *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarmineRed, Sep 25, 2022.

1. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person Thread Starter

First pair of "new" speakers I have bought in many years.

I've heard that break-in on these can be painful at first, they do have some harshness in the highs right now that wasn't there when I listened to a broken-in pair, so I know that will calm down after many hours.

These showed up from Audio Emotion just yesterday and then I leave tomorrow for vacation, so won't be able to spend much time with them until I get back BUT for now I'm very happy :)

[​IMG]

John3655, jupiterboy, OC Zed and 70 others like this.
  2. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

lovely!

3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Looking great do update us as they break in :ed:

kt66brooklyn and CarmineRed like this.
  4. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Damn!

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Awesome!

6. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

7. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice speaks, room and system, congrats!
    do try the grilles in place to help fix the harshness.

Tim 2 and CarmineRed like this.
  9. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Boy! am I jealous. Congratulations on your new speakers.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

Looks like a killer system, congrats!

CarmineRed likes this.
  11. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

You might check John Atkinson's measurements of the Sterlings in the latest Stereophile. I'm not sure how the Sterling compare to the Arden, but if they're similar, you might want to use the high frequency boost for a more linear response.

12. CarmineRed

For now they are harsh, so don't think I want to mess with that yet. Once they calm down (have a bit already) then I'll see where I'm at. I like the laid back sound of these when they are broke in but I also have the ability to change that up like you say with the adjustments on the speaker BUT also with the LM and with tubes.

timind and aorecords like this.
  13. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Congrats! Nice looking setup. Great looking speakers.

CarmineRed likes this.
  14. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congratulations and great looking system!

Tim 2 and CarmineRed like this.
  15. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Try to not toe-in concentric drivers directly at you. 10-15 degrees off should do better.

McLover, kt66brooklyn and CarmineRed like this.
  16. CarmineRed

Thank you everyone!!!

I will work on the toe-in as I get them more broke in.

kt66brooklyn and aorecords like this.
  17. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

Nice setup.
    BTW: The are Tannoy Arden Legacy, a Arden GR doesn't exist. Maybe you can edit the headline.:righton:

McLover and CarmineRed like this.
  18. UTP

UTP Forum Resident

They look great! And I bet they sound even better. Congratulations!

If I’ll ever get the urge to upgrade my own Tannoys it’ll probably be with these. Or the Cheviots. Did you by any chance compare them?

19. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I never understand this. You paid ~9K for a pair of speakers, and you say they sound harsh? Aren't you upset?

20. CarmineRed

Duh!!!! What was I thinking there? Appreciate that, can't edit the title, at least I don't think I can......

There is such thing as speaker break-in and some need it more, you can look into Tannoy and see that everyone who buys them new says they need a lot of time to come together. I listened to quite a few of the Legacy and GR lines from Tannoy and know the sound, and when these are new they don't sound like a nice used, broken in pair do.

kt66brooklyn, jusbe, Gary and 4 others like this.
  21. Oscillation

Yeah I get that, and I can imagine that giant driver would definitely loosen up over time, but the word "harsh" to describe the sound of a high level speaker just sounds, well, a bit harsh! I mean I can see going from excellent to superb, or gorgeous to divine, but harsh? I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts those things already sound better than mine, and I wouldn't even describe my humble speakers as being harsh. Not to go off too much on a tangent, but if expensive speakers really do need to be broken in, why isn't this something that is done under controlled conditions at the factory? Wouldn't it be more fun to buy a pair of already perfectly broken in speakers? That being said that's a beautiful system you have there, I'm contemplating Tannoys as well.

Now that I think of it maybe I'll start a speaker break in service, send me those Arden's and I'll break them in for you while you're on vacation! ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    bever70 and dover1968 like this.
  22. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Give it time - it took 200+ hrs and over a month for the bass and treble to sufficiently mellow out and sync on Tannoy Eatons. Initially bass was bloated, mids too forward and edgy, and treble receded (probably as a consequence of bass & mids).

After a week i was prepared to send them back but seller was happy for longer trial - and I'm glad they where!

Then lots positioning, and away from rear and side walls, all down to nearest cm last movements, and getting centres at ear height plus max toe in (cross eyed seems weird but works!) made then keepers.

Good luck and look forward to hear more how the Ardens play out.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

does tannoy recommend grilles in place for proper frequency balance like harbeth does?

i heard the tannoy towers with the 8 inch concentric drivers and they were quite edgy sounding on axis, even well burned in. they do not come with grilles but should have.

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Don't all manufacturers recommend using their covers and most reviews recommend taking them off? :winkgrin:

The legacy series has level and roll off options above 1200 hz so I guess its more easily tuned with or without grills. Prefer SQ of mine without.

kt66brooklyn, timind and jonwoody like this.
  25. Oscillation

And then what happens after that? Do they continue to break in or do they magically freeze in place? It seems to me that if usage is going to make that driver more floppy, it will maybe hit a sweet spot at some point, but then, in terms of physics, it would rapidly fall off. Wouldn't it be better to design a driver that didn't change it's characteristics over time?