Tape machine experts please HELP! How do you know when tape heads are shot?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markytheM, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys, I've had my tape heads on different machines replaced before but it's been a long time. From what I remember they sounded horrible every second. No intermittance but a constant horrible sound quality.

I have my Revox PR99 1/4 inch halftrack in being serviced and only because of semi-frequent to occasional dropouts (other than that the music sounds beautiful.) I'm wondering if it's possible that the heads are keystoned and they just need some adjustment to milk the rest of the life out of them. The tech wasn't able to talk to me and his secretary informed me today that my heads need replacing.

Can I get a little expert advice? I want to be able to discuss this with him with the knowledge of the forum on my side. If it's what the tech says I'm gonna be out a lot out dollas$.

Peace Love and Dollas$ Tech says :D
    Marky

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You run a tone reel on there like an MRL tape. Someone here could probably make you a copy. It has tones at 20k, 15, 10, down to 30 cycles. If your heads are worn one or more of those frequencies will "dip" while the others remain at "0vu". In the best world all of the tones are even when the 1k ref. tone is set to 0. If they are slightly off you align the machine so that all the tones read 0. That's how you know if your heads are worn and (more importantly) that it is in correct tonal alignment.

3. markytheM

Thanks Steve. I don't know if these guys are using that MRL tape. I would think so, yes? I'll ask.

So then I am to understand that the heads replacement may still be mandatory? Even though they sound great (with the occasional drop-out)?

Peace Love and Plug In, Turn On & Drop-out
    Marky

4. Steve Hoffman

When heads fail the top end usually goes down. Do a test with a 10k tone and a 15k tone. If they are both pretty close to 0 (after setting the 1k ref level at 0) then just leave it. If the 15k tone starts to look like -10 db from ref 1k then you gotta do something.

5. markytheM

I hate to keep asking questions and I really appreciate you taking your time for me Steve. :righton:
    I just need to understand a bit more. The machine is not in my possesion right now. But when it was, I ran a tone that was the only tone available (on my SoundCraft 200 mixing board) and I think it is a 1k tone.

But I ran it along a fresh reel of virgin GP9 and set the levels to 0 db and recorded. I monitored off the playback head and watched the meters and listened to this annoying tone on the headphones. At first there were unbelievable drop-outs or flaws -but i'd keep cleaning and demagnetizing and it got noticeably better but not perfect. Sometimes a minute or so would go by without any flaws. I knew I had no choice but to get it serviced at that point.

What about these occasional drop-outs? Are they symptoms of bad heads too?

Peace Love and Reel-y grateful :rolleyes:
    Marky

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

7. Joe Nino-Hernes

To see if your heads are worn, you can simply look at them. They will normaly have a little curve in the center. If they are worn, their faces will have a flat spot on them. Audibly, you will notice high frequency loss, and level loss. If your heads are indeed worn, they might be able to be relapped. JRF Magnetics does great relapping!

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've got a 1/4" MLR tape but no way to copy it. :( If you need it, I can always send it up to Maumee for you (I'm in Columbus). As long as you're quick with it... I need to set up my 1/4" machine in a few weeks.

9. markytheM

Thanks Joe. And thanks Keith. It's so good to know you guys. :edthumbs: I won't ask anything be sent to me unless it's absolutely necessary.

If I discover demagnetizing doesn't do the trick (I would assume the tech has a pro demagger) are there any other ways of getting rid of the drop-outs without relapping or replacing?

Peace Love and demaggy may
    Marky

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

Nope. Most likely, the dropouts are being caused by magnitized heads, or in worse case, worn heads.

11. Alan

Alan New Member

If you have trouble finding new parts/heads for Studer/ReVox try...http://www.filmco.ca
    {Edouard}, they got the inventory after Studer Canada closed two years ago.

Alan

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm wondering if he recorded a tone section from a CD if his record heads would make example of how his playback heads performed.... Since they are in two seperate sections...

13. Steve Hoffman

If the playback heads are worn so are the record heads. This is why the MRL tone tapes cost so much money.

14. markytheM

Okay my tech says:
    $220 for reconditioned play and record heads
    $98.50 for the pinch roller
    $562.50 for labor (9 hrs)

Does this sound right to you guys? Is it even worth repairing?

Peace Love and really broke
    Marky

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

You gotta figure what it would cost to replace it with a similar unit.

16. Steve Hoffman

But are the heads worn or not? Did you ever find out?

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Having replaced the heads in my TEAC A3340 and 3440, I have to say it's a lot more work than you might think getting them perfectly aligned and positioned. Still, nine hours sounds like a lot of time for a pro, as this amateur did it all in about six. You can replace the pinch roller yourself in a few minutes.

18. Joe Nino-Hernes

That seems about right. The labor seems a bit high, but working on semi-pro equipment like the Revox can be difficult since it was not designed with repair in mind.

19. markytheM

The tech never speaks with me and makes his secretary tell me all the bad news. So I have to take his word that the heads are far beyond the re-lapping stage. I'm going to grab the machine back from him and see if I can get a second opinion. It still seems weird to me because the heads sound so good (despite drop-outs).

That's the issue, guys. I was thinking for a pro it would be a 2-3 hour job. He's already had the machine an excruciating 2 months. He hasn't even got to my 16 track yet (with the same problem) and it's scaring the shatner out of me.

Yeah there are some decent looking PR99s on ebay for a lot cheaper. That looks like my only real solution.

Peace Love and mental re-laps :(
    Marky

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The PR 99 is well worth repairing. The only thing is, ReVox heads wear after 20 years or so on machines that are used frequently. The play heads usually go first. $200 to fix it is a bargain. Otari and Tascam are the only manufacturers of new reel decks. Treasure it. The advice you have been given previously is good.

21. markytheM

Thanks, Kent.
    But in your opinion, is 9 hours of labor to replace the heads and calibrate the machine not an overstated estimate?
    I know the price of parts is acceptable but the labor takes it beyond what it's actually worth it seems.

Peace Love and Labor pains
    Marky

22. Joe Nino-Hernes

9 hours does seem a bit high.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

It should be able to be done in less than 9 hours. Try contacting JM Technical Arts in Nashville. They are the USA ReVox experts. I think most of that labor is relapping those heads myself. Most PR 99 machines were heavily used in broadcasting. So most of them have very high hours on them. Especially play only units.

24. markytheM

Thanks Kent. I'll call them tomorrow. It can't be a relapping charge though because the tech said my heads were beyond relapping. Why it took him 2 months to tell me this I'll never know. Shouldn't any tech worth his salt be able to just look at the heads (the minute I bring the deck in) and tell me? I really don't want to even deal with him anymore.

I'm exploring my ebay options now too.

Do you guys have a preference between a newer Otari MX-50 or the Revox PR99 Mk II? Steve, what do you think?

Peace Love and tech NO!
    Marky

25. Joe Nino-Hernes

The Otari machine sounds "cold" in my opinion, but they are built very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.