TÁR (2022) dir. Todd Field, stars Cate Blanchett

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

TÁR (2022)
    Directed, Written and Produced by Todd Field
    Starring Cate Blanchett, Noémie Merlant, Nina Hoss, Sophie Kauer, Julian Glover
    Allan Corduner, Mark Strong
    Cinematography by Florian Hoffmeister
    Edited by Monika Willi
    Music by Hildur Guðnadóttir

Synopsis pulled from IMDB: Set in the international world of Western classical music, the film centers on Lydia Tár (Cate Blanchett), widely considered one of the greatest living composer-conductors and first-ever female music director of a major German orchestra.

-

Had the pleasure of catching TÁR this past week in theaters and was floored by Blanchett's performance (lead role of the year?) as well as the overall craft behind this Kubrickian psychological epic. Without going into finer details, the camerawork, direction, editing, score are all impeccably fine-tuned. Anyone able to check this out?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Tanx, Bulsara, TheAbsentMind and 2 others like this.
  2. Brendan K

3. Brendan K

Till, Decision To Leave, Tár, Triangle Of Sadness At The Box Office – Deadline

Tár by Todd Field opened last week to a hefty $40,000 per theater average in four locations. It expanded to 36 theaters in 13 markets Friday and posting a solid $10,000 per theater average for a total weekend gross of $360,000 and a running domestic cume of $585,000.

Very curious about whether or not the film will gain a strong enough word-of-mouth as it expands. So far the buzz seems to be primarily from film circles.

4. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Really want to see this. Love Cate. From the director -
    TODD FIELD'S STATEMENT IN A RECENT INTERVIEW “This script was written for one artist, Cate Blanchett,” Field said in a director’s statement. “Had she said no, the film would have never seen the light of day. Filmgoers, amateur and otherwise, will not be surprised by this. After all, she is a master supreme. Even so, while we were making the picture, the superhuman-skill and verisimilitude of Cate was something truly astounding to behold. She raised all boats. The privilege of collaborating with an artist of this caliber is something impossible to adequately describe. In every possible way this is Cate’s film.”

TheAbsentMind, RSteven and Brendan K like this.
  5. Brendan K

Tanx, RSteven and Dan C like this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Yep. Very well worth seeing, even if you end up hating the last 15-2o minutes.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought Triangle Of Sadness was brillant.

8. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

What’s the issue with the last 15-20 minutes? The seeds of her downfall were planted long before the film started, and the filmmakers kept inserting auditory and visual clues to warn us that her tower of imminence had serious cracks and would inevitably crumble. At least she didn’t fall completely apart despite the indignity of far less prestigious gigs. Sometimes work is work. :)

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Without spoiling the movie, there are people who feel that it should have ended as she was watching the old videotapes, because you've reached 140 minutes at that point - hope that makes sense.

smilin ed and NickySee like this.
  10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

:laugh: Yep and not at all!

carrick doone likes this.
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tricky shot. It's loaded with character implications but the mirror effect may be more created than captured.

This film really rewards with multiple viewings.

GMfan87', Brendan K and TheAbsentMind like this.
  12. Brilliant.
    Cate Blanchett is sensational.
    In fact everyone is great.
    So many mirrors and reflections.
    And the last sequence definitely is vital - illuminating even more of the lead character.
    Absolutely loved the final shot!

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm really sorry I missed my opportunity to see it in a theater here. I suspect from what my wife said, I may have been the only one in the house who would have appreciated it.

Wonder where/when it's streaming.

RSteven, TheAbsentMind and Playloud like this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It’s released by Focus Features/Universal, so will probably go to Peacock.

905 and Dillydipper like this.
  15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I could watch Cate Blanchett in anything. Or nothing...

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've seen a few Focus/Universal movies on HBO...it might go there....maybe...

17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

TheAbsentMind and RSteven like this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one.

Playloud likes this.
  19. Brendan K

The Golden Globes seem to be back this year. Tár just picked up a few nominations:

Best Motion Picture - Drama
    Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama - Cate Blanchett
    Best Screenplay - Motion Picture - Todd Field

RSteven likes this.
  20. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Don't know how I missed this screening/filmmaker talk at a cinema right down the street from me! But it's an interesting discussion led by Laurie Anderson.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  22. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

We’ll be renting this next week when we visit my parents down in Florida.

RSteven likes this.
  23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I thought it was a pretentious ponderous bore, that felt way longer than it's almost 3 hours. It could have easily had at least an hour edited out of it to make a better film, in my view. There were some good scenes mixed in there, but it was sure a slog the rest of the way.
    :shrug:

a customer, jupiter8 and masswriter like this.
  24. Brendan K

I do concede that it's a hard sell invest in a film about a fictional classical composer for 157 minutes, even as a huge fan of the TÁR. Not to mention how there are several moments in the third act that feel like the movie could have ended, only for it to continue onwards. I wonder if that'll have any effect on its success at the major awards outlets, though we'll find out soon enough.

GMfan87' and applebonkerz like this.
  25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident