TAS vs. Michael Fremer ala The Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, no personal attacks here. Just a little reminder on how subjective audio listening and reviewing are. The new TAS says the new DSD sourced DMM Stones albums blow. Since the reviewer was actually quite positive about the SACD's, he surmised that DMM must be the culprit. Fremer was quite enthused at the ones he had heard. TAS also has a negative review of LIB. . .Naked, but still praises the sonics. Different strokes for different folks all the way around. Has anyone here in the forum listened to any of the new Stone's LP's? Thanks.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Bump - I'd like to know too!

3. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

I'd really like to know, I have four on the way based on the Tracking angle review, but they will take about a week to get here, I'll let you know when they show up.
    Anybody have these?

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I've been listening to Let it Bleed for a few weeks. Like Fremer says, if you have the UK pressing don't waste your time AND money.

Funny thing...Side one of the DMM LIB sounds very detailed and I actually like it. Side two has hardly any bass and sounds lifeless. :confused:
    For Let it Bleed at least...stick with the SACD, JMO.

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

One thing that no one to my knowledge has acknowledged is the SBM Direct logo on the back of all the Stones issues. Does this mean they weren't straight DSD transfers??

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No, it means the cd layer was derived from the DSD master.

7. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I'm not talking about the hybrids, I'm talking about the new lps.

I should have been clearer.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Hhhmmm, I suppose it could just be a matter of not doing separate graphics for the LP's. They just used the finished art from the discs, which included the SBM info. Just a guess, I haven't seen or heard the LP's.

9. Mike V

Mike V New Member

You're probably right, just like you'd see "HDCD" on Neil Young LPs from the '90s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.