Tavish Adagio, Parasound JC3+, JC3 Jr or something else in the $1.5K - $3K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I recently went from the Chinook to the Modwright PH 9.0 and am very happy. For a tube phono stage the noise level is astonishingly low due to the external power supply and use of transformers. It helps to bring you closer to the music.

mreeter likes this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The JC3+ is really an outstanding piece of gear. I wonder how much I would have to spend in a DAC for my digital rig to sound as good as my vinyl rig.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Interesting as there's only a few hundred dollars difference between the two units' prices. Is the improvement that noticeable, not only in noise levels but also in SQ?

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

For me the improvement was not subtle. I'm using a pair of Amperex 7308 tubes that I had in the Chinook and a cartridge that retailed for more than the PH 9.0 or Chinook. As always, your mileage may vary. The Music Room bought my Chinook.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Ah, the good stuff! Enjoy! :)

IanL and ellingtonic like this.
  6. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I just put my name on the Adagio waiting list. Would love to hear more impressions from owners.

heyMo likes this.
  7. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I'm jealous. How long is the wait now?

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

12 weeks, but I don't think that's to bad. Decware has a wait at least that long, and I just waited 8 weeks for my new Omegas.

9. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

That's not too bad at all. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after you receive.

10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

This thread was great read.

I'm wondering if things would change appreciably if looking for a MM only stage?

11. Strat-Mangler

SQ-wise, no. But MM-only phono preamps tend to be cheaper than MM/MC ones.

JackG and punkmusick like this.
  12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Yeah, but it seems you take a step down overall. It's not like you can buy a JC3 Jr. or Adagio w/0 the MC stage and leave all else equal. Does that sound about right? I'm not averse to having an MC stage, of course, but already have a SUT I'm pretty happy with.

13. Strat-Mangler

You're correct, yes.

JackG likes this.
  14. Guth

Guth Music Lover

While some might view the JC3 Jr. as a stepping stone to the next class of higher priced phono preamps that certainly was not the case with me. I consider this to be a long term purchase. I was able to demo it at home with a few different cartridges and feel well supported into the future regardless of my choice of cartridge type. At some point down the road I can picture myself moving back downward into lesser priced MM cartridges and it’s nice to know that this preamp works great with those choices as well.

JackG likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Over the last month or two, I got a couple of PM's asking me how I liked the Tavish Adagio --- and I sent them to this thread. Well, one of the people sent me another PM recently and said "I went there, it said you bought it, but you never shared your thoughts."

Puzzled, today I combed the thread, and lo and behold I did not see anything in the way of my closure response either!!! I was sure I posted and shared it, but apparently for some reason it is not there? I recall having a PM with Mike and someone else where I mentioned the response, and talked about it on PM.... hmmm.... :confused:

Oh well, for those that care --- I kept the Tavish for around three weeks, but returned mine within the 4 week "satisfaction" window - mine had a couple of issues that though repeated attempts to diagnose / fix, resulted in the choice of having a warranty repair, or return. Due to the nature of the problems I was having, I chose return. It was a tough choice, there were a lot of features I liked about the Adagio - the dual inputs, separate power supply, many more which I spelled out earlier in the thread.

Note I still think very highly of Tavish Design and have nothing negative to say --- they are responsive and helpful, and I still recommend their stages on other threads since, for example the Classic and Vintage stages. I would also recommend the Adagio to anyone --- there was a lot I liked about it, and there are many happy customers --- just because it wasn't a good match for me and my system I would not let that discourage anyone from purchasing it. Mine is clearly just one experience of many with a different outcome.

I just thought it best to close that out here on the thread I started --- which I thought I already did!!

JackG and punkmusick like this.
  16. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Your experience with the Adagio was EXACTY as mine. Had an issue as well, that was promptly taken care of. But, I also returned the Adagio after a good deal of run in time.

I had it up against a Rogue Audio Ares Magnum, and while the Adagio was certainly not embarrassed, it just didn't have good Synergy with my setup. Probably not a fair comparison.

The Adagio, in its price range, would be difficult to better. Great features to accommodate about any Cartridge.

17. TheVinylAddict

@4011021 -- what's funny I saw your "like" above --- and it jogged my memory, you were one of the other people I referred to above that I exchanged PM's with about this thread and the Adagio!!! LOL :)

Thanks for the reminder!!!

punkmusick likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

Very interesting....... thanks for sharing. I got the impression at the time I was on an island as far as those that actually returned the Adagio! :) I guess misery loves company..... :targettiphat:

EDIT --- I saw in your profile you have the Modwright 9.0 phono preamp? I saw that discussed above... how are you liking that?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  19. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

My sentiments as well. I would imagine that you and I are the only ones to return one:sigh:

20. TheVinylAddict

Actually I did see on another thread (maybe on another board) there was actually one maybe even two others.... so the old adage nothing is perfect applies. But that could have been you for all I know.....

You made a comment above about synergies with your system - I had a similar experience too....

BTW, I did the proverbial EDIT above and asked you about the Modwright.

21. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I on the other hand, have not had any performance issues from the beginning, and have since tube-rolled my Adagio to a level of performance that is just amazing to my ears. The last several tube rolling trials involved the 12au7 position, where a NOS '70s Brimar CV4003 was bested by a '60s Brimar 13d4 tube, and most recently a vintage '60s Brimar 13d8 tube bested that, and has me now just amazed at the reproduction of the musical event with every record I play.

mreeter likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

You know very well that was what I was hoping for too --- I really wanted the Adagio to work out --- I really thought when I purchased it that it might be the end game, the last one I would need to buy for a while....

.... you and I shared many a PM before I bought it, and within the time I had it.... you know I was excited and can imagine how sorry that it did not work out.....

I am truly happy and envious for you that it worked out like it did in your system!!!!!! That is what all of us are seeking, experiences like you've had with any piece of gear!!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  23. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, I sold the Ares and purchased the PH 9.0. It also has many good features, front control loading, separate Power Supply, mono switch, etc.

The main thing of course is the sound, and it is Stunning. My Stage has opened up in every direction, and the Pin Point Imaging is the best I've experienced. It's overall presentation is what I been looking for...for quite some.

I have the PH 9.0 paired with a ModWright LS-100 Linestage, and the Synergy is very, very good. The PH9.0 is a destination piece for me, I don't think you could do any better in it's price range.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  24. TheVinylAddict

I think a fun shootout would be the Modwright PH 9.0, the Parasound JC3+ and the Herron VTPH 2.0 --- all in the same price class --- at least within a few hundred dollars --- and all three appearing to get great feeback from users!

mreeter likes this.
  25. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes it would, you certainly couldn't go wrong with any of these choices., all winners.