Taylor Swift New Album "folklore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gregorya, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Damn, she’s already in the process of re-recording the old stuff??

Davidmk5 likes this.
  3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

4. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

She doesn't own the masters to the recordings, but does she own her publishing to the old songs?

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

yeh , sounds like Brawn doesn't want to deal with this anymore & once again wouldn't let her buy them , be interesting to see what happens in the future with the Old vs. the new versions .

Devin and ghoulsurgery like this.
  6. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

2020: The year I found out there was someone with the name “Scooter Braun”.

Twinge Crispy and Davidmk5 like this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

This country's doomed.

Davidmk5 and WHMusical like this.
  8. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I believe she controls 75% of the publishing on her share of the songwriting contributions, with her publisher (Sony-ATV at that time) controlling the remaining 25%. As for her songwriting contributions, it seems like that's evenly split with her co-writers, when she has any. I stumbled upon the original terms of her songwriting/publishing contract that she signed in 2005 after it was made public as part of a court case but it's a bit of a headache to interpret so I might be off on some of that.

ghoulsurgery and Davidmk5 like this.
  9. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Music as a commodity. I first came across this expression about 15 years ago, when I was getting really passionate about copyright law (I know, I know...) and as a person who was also deeply passionate about music and art, I just couldn't believe that anyone, let alone the whole world, would connect the two - music as a commodity...
    Well, it is what it is, but I have huge respect for Taylor Swift fighting for this. Tom Petty was another - different scenario but same principles, I would say. Keep the fire burning, Taylor :agree:

BeatleJWOL, Davidmk5 and Spencer R like this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Last night I read the new Mojo, with the White Stripes on the cover, and Taylor made their list of the Top 50 albums of the year, which would have been unimaginable just a few years ago.

Because of the surprise release of this album, she took pre-orders for various custom vinyl pressings back in the summer. Those are now beginning to ship. I believe there will soon be mass market vinyl available at Target and through other retailers.

Davidmk5, WhatDoIKnow and awsop like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In her public statement on the most recent sale of her back catalog, she states “I have recently begun re-recording my older music and it has already proven to be both exciting and creatively fulfilling. I have plenty of surprises in store … I can’t wait for you to hear what I’ve been dreaming up.”

While I would be even more interested re-recordings of her old songs in her new mature style, I will probably buy new CDs of her back catalog even if she simply clones their original arrangements and production.

Davidmk5, theMess and agaraffa like this.
  12. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Good for you Taylor! This Scooter Braun person sounds like a complete a$$hole! I hope once she finishes re-recording her first 6 albums that the value of what he's attempting to blackmail her with is significantly devalued. And I can't help but wonder what he did to her when she was so young that he's pursuing an ironclad NDA with such vigor. :wtf: :realmad:

BeatleJWOL and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

I keep forgetting about this release policy, where you can stream the music and months later the physical product is available.
    Love Is The King by Jeff Tweedy is another example.

14. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

15. WhatDoIKnow

Justly deserved, in my humble opinion. All the more noteworthy because Mojo doesn't follow fads.

16. WhatDoIKnow

I too find this interesting, especially when it is well known that the artist was "defrauded" / cut out from buying her own catalogue. I realise this is ethics and not business but still...

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Scooter Braun didn’t do anything to Taylor when she was young. He wasn’t involved in her career in any way at the beginning. He became involved several years ago when he, and, I presume, some other investors or partners, bought the Big Machine label.

RSteven likes this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think Folklore was rated #31 out of Mojo’s Top 75 albums of the year. I would have rated it #1, although, admittedly, as I get older I pay less and less attention to most new releases, and I certainly haven’t heard everything that was released in 2020. But, of what I did hear, Folklore was easily the best.

theMess, Davidmk5, richarm and 3 others like this.
  19. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

One thing that puzzles me out of the whole situation is that Swift and her family are supposed to be very hands-on and watchful of everything to do with the music and the branding. I'm mystified that they let the recordings themselves be overlooked, especially since they reportedly had a stake in the label early on.

20. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I'm enjoying it. There's a great 12 track/40 minute album inside "Folklore".

21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

They had a rough history before that, though, mostly centered around the Kanye/Kim feud

Memph and Davidmk5 like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Ordinarily I would agree with assessment, but I don’t think this album is a victim of CD bloat. Out of the album’s sixteen tracks, there are obviously some I like more than others, but there’s not a single one I’d skip. Unlike, say, Red, this is a worthy double vinyl album, not one that needs to be edited down.

theMess, Davidmk5, egebamyasi and 4 others like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, but the previous poster seemed to believe that Braun did something bad to Taylor when she was 16 or 17. He wasn’t involved in her career at all until the whole ridiculous Taylor/Kanye/Kim feud that sparked the Reputation album.

RSteven and ghoulsurgery like this.
  24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I'll probably end up enjoying the whole album. I've seen this before.

25. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Fair enough... I'm not familiar with their history, but why such a staunch position on an "ironclad NDA"? If he didn't do anything that he isn't afraid of becoming public, why is that even on the table? Being that Taylor would probably pay more than anyone else for her early recordings, it seems foolish to completely take her out of the bidding if he has nothing to be ashamed of.