Taylor Swift - new music & album "Reputation" (November 10, 2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

damn! what a letdown. that was bloody awful!

jammincrowe and broshfab4 like this.
  2. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I highly doubt this pop country charttart would be able to create anything in the ballpark of a Dylan. Funny isn't even the word I'd use as it's no laughing matter!

dalem5467 likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

She's definitively today's pop icon.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Selena Gomez an "artist"? Pleeeese...What an insult to actual artists. Taylor Swift may not be one's cup of tea, but she's 100 times the artist that Gomez will ever be.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  5. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Yikes. I loved most of the songs on Speak Now and Red, but this is "surrounded by people who can't tell her no" territory. Feels like a waste of her ability craft a melody or string together an evocative phrase—she's descended into settling scores (and inadvertently showing more of her insecurities than I think she intends), "How do you Sleep" style, but with much more simplistic lyrics. Granted, there was always a certain amount of victimization and lyrical retribution in her songs, but things like "Dear John" were done artfully.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I found I was waiting for the hook, or something to go, 'oh yeah', that works!', but this
    time it didn't happen.

anthontherun and BZync like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I get that when you're a big pop star, you are your art and you want your lead single to make a statement and the record makes a statement, the problem is, people need to be able to identify with the sentiment, and I'm not sure that's happening here. It's just like rap feud stuff.

Personally I don’t thin Swift's gift is for melody, it's for storytelling. I don't think it matters so much what the records sound like if the story is strong and people can see it and feel it. But I think its a record that leaves listeners behind and just gets something off her chest, which is kinda the point I suppose -- "look what you made me do" -- but you know, you don't HAVE to do it.

8. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm definitely not a part of the target market.

dalem5467 likes this.
  9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Can't believe people actually nitpick about album titles. I mean, seriously?

Davidmk5 likes this.
  10. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

So after listening to the song.... was it a dig at Katy Perry? I think it kinda is

driverdrummer and Davidmk5 like this.
  11. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Has anyone mentioned that the chorus sounds exactly like I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt?

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The single is a bit of a disappointment for me, though I'm hardly Taylor's demographic. I can only echo the opinions of others here.. The song is hooky, but the 'chorus' is atrocious. Lyrically, it's something she's done to death. It'll probably grow on me over time, though.

Jrr and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My first thought is she is getting pathetic like Michael Jackson was (imo) when he started singing constantly about how he wanted to be left alone, and how the world was against him. Just a lot of bitterness. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any more of her music just to hear about the same old relationship crap everyone has dealt with at one time or the other. It's hard to feel sorry for her at this point....she isn't a kid anymore. It's been done to death now (though I admit pretty brilliantly up to this point...she does write well). It just seems to me she jumps from one to the other, takes notes and then makes an album out of it. Like someone else stated, geez, grow up and learn from the past. She has had amazing adventures in her life by now. Write about that and give up on the relationship stuff I'm tired of hearing. It was fine when she was younger, and it clearly resonated with her base. But they are getting older too and I'm sure they have also tired of hearing about the same old thing.

I'm a fan and normally this would be a day one buy for me, but after hearing that I will definitely be auditioning other tracks first. She is, imo, in danger of seeing a decline with this one. It's going to happen anyway as her fans age out and move on..it always does and you feel for the typical artist that gets the three album run and then fans move on....she's had a much better run. But if she can change it up with her lyrics, and start writing about grown up stuff, she may hang on. I don't like the music either, but I do recognize it's still quality and some are going to enjoy the change. It just isn't my thing, but at 56 I'm not her demographic either. I hope the rest of the album is much better.

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I like it , i don't love it , but i have hopes for the full album ........

revolution_vanderbilt and Jrr like this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I hadn't thought of that but yup. It worked for that song...not for this imo.

16. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Right Said Fred share songwriting credits on the track.

driverdrummer, gregorya and ralph7109 like this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

what i will say is the more she strays away from country the more everything costs which i don't like for example her tix for the shows topped out under $99 during the country years , last two pp tours were well over $100 , most good seats were $150 +
    her merch was also VERY reasonable , now she has a new merch store & a one sided t-shirt is $45 :sigh::shake:

Looks like people are going to have to jump through hoops to get tix this time buying merch & doing "things" each day to up your value as a fan ........

the target deluxe is two DIFFERENT cd's this time , so far no bonus tracks , but different magazines .......................... I hope she doesn't go the Katy perry route and have $500 tickets this tour :(

18. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Ooooh, diss track! I'm worried about our Tay Tay, I hope this doesn't turn into a Biggie/Tupac thing. We don't need any more pop star bloodshed. Hasn't there been enough already? When will this madness end? :shake: Someone on TMZ called her an "Aryan witch". :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think its a sample

20. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Sampling is when you re-purpose a fragment of the original recording to create a new song. That's not what happened here; Taylor Swift and her writers instead ripped the melody from I'm Too Sexy and gave Right Said Fred partial credit so they can take a small percentage of the royalties.

driverdrummer, FJFP and Malina like this.
  21. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Doesn't this describe the theme of maybe 50% or more of all popular music?

Tim

melodic chaos, Disionity and Malina like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

She should definitely take her own advice and "Shake It Off" instead of rewriting the same themes over and over again.

Jrr and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

If this doesn't go #1, 2017 might be the first year in history that a woman didn't top the Hot 100...

He was already stuck at #2 earlier this year with 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever' and Rihanna shared the same fate with 'Wild Thoughts', who will save women artists?

24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love it! Love the use of the "I'm Too Sexy" hook!

I take it as a big eff u to Kanye and his whore wife.

25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Single sucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.