Taylor Swift's 10th album "Midnights" coming 10/21/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Aug 29, 2022.

1. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'm guessing you'll be able to because my local record store has all four colors up for preorder. Looks like they aren't exclusive to her web store.

FJFP and EgaBog like this.
  2. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

You think so? Only today again I was reminded what a treasure Red’s (Taylor’s Version) bonus tracks and Vault tracks is. A potential Magnus Opus laid bare. And the record is still great as it is. I’m curious what Speak Now will have in store, because Red will be hard to top.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  3. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Yeah. I'm not saying the songs are bad, but seeing as there's so much material, maybe it'd been better to release two good succinct albums instead of a long and possibly bloated one.

4. in_the_fog

Yeah, but I see in Red in particular a potentially longer and better record. Ronan, New Day, I Bet You Think About Me, Forever Winter etc, not to mention the acoustic version of State Of Grace.
    When that album was name dropped alongside Wu-Tang Clan in Ozark it’s status as an American classic felt cemented.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Is it confrmed that the songs don't have titles, or is that placeholder text?

6. EgaBog

Indeed, those are all very good songs. Makes me think I've yet to purchase Red and Fearless TV. Currently penniless. :(

I only own Folkore and Evermore.

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Years ago, I read some interview where she alluded to how the Nashville session pros on her very first album did not take her seriously - “Who is this little kid telling us arrangement ideas?”, etc. - but, you know, I highly doubt anyone is pushing back in any way on any of her ideas now.

But I can absolutely imagine how, during the recording of her first album, before she became the phenomenon she became, none of the jaded Nashville vets in the room, with the possible exception of Nathan Chapman, who, without Googling it, I think got the job because he was deemed a nobody at the time, and of course her songwriting partner Liz Rose, took her seriously at all.

GregorSamsa and ghoulsurgery like this.
  8. in_the_fog

I have the original Red both on vinyl and a CD copy ripped to wav. I haven’t had time to purchase them yet, but I’ll will go with the CD versions (and hopefully stop there)

9. in_the_fog

Nathan Chapman was her demo producer. And it was she personally who fought for him to get the job. And those three records all sound great with that tight Nashville sound

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t think he had produced a “real album” before he produced her debut album. And yes, while Nashville pros are good at what they do, again, I read an article years ago that alluded to her struggles to get the session musicians on her first album to take her seriously. I find it 100% plausible that they would not be receptive to arrangement suggestions from an unproven teenage girl who wrote most of her own songs. Of course history has shown that she has an ear for what makes a hit, but I bet the musicians in the room making the first album didn’t care to hear her ideas on that point.

in_the_fog likes this.
  11. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

in_the_fog likes this.
  12. in_the_fog

13. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Wait, now these limited covers I ordered off her site are available elsewhere?

14. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

Track 13 is called Mastermind

George Co-Stanza and Spencer R like this.
  15. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

There back up on the website so people will buy it for clock, it was all a trick

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't agree. While I think most of her albums have a song or two that I think could have been left off to make the overall album a bit more cohesive, those songs are loved by many fans, so I am good with her putting a lot on there. For example, I think Peace and Hoax are merely good and leaving them off could have made the average score of the Folklore songs a bit higher, but many love those songs. Seems like she rarely has a song on an album that is widely panned, so it's not like there is that one song or two that everyone thinks, "I wish she would have left that off." Hell, some fans, including ones here, (inexplicably ;) ) like I Forgot That You Existed, so you just never know.

I wonder how many times Taylor had to do that little video before 13 was the number. I mean, do we really think 13 just happened to be the number that came out on the first take? Haha.

FJFP, Zbriscoe1 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  17. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I will be very happy if this her Smiths mope-rock record.

18. EgaBog

Well, that's what happens when you're THAT big. She's such a huge star that someone will like something always. I, for instance, like "Hoax" A LOT and would cut "Epiphany" without thinking twice. "I Forgot That You Existed" is one I like too.

Now, about widely panned songs... Maybe "Me!" and "Stay Stay Stay"?

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I love “Stay Stay Stay”, mostly for that bassline from the original recording

20. George Co-Stanza

Me! did pretty well as a single, so it is really widely panned? I thought I read that it being the lead single from Lover, given that there were other and better choices, was the thing that irked some of the fans (but admittedly, a percentage of her fans seemingly love to be annoyed about anything, lol).

Totally agree about the bassline. Burying it in the mix on TV was rather puzzling.

I am a big fan. It's just a fun, silly song that I can't help but enjoy.

Really though, and this harkens back to the "padding" discussion, the only songs from Red (original version) I am not a big fan of are I Almost Do and Everything Has Changed. Both are fine, but if either vanished, I wouldn't care that much. We Are Never... is one I have to be in the right mood for the original, but the rocked up version from the 1989 tour is pretty rad. Everything else from the original is a major keeper for me.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

When she played “Stay” on the Red tour, she singled out and introduced the bassist during the song. She didn’t introduce anyone else in the band throughout the show :laugh:

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

Yep, I have seen a live clip of it on YT, and it is fun as heck. Not the greatest quality, but the live versions shows how much fun the song is. I always crack up at the playful childish stomp she and others in the band do every time she sings the , "...when I get mad, mad, mad," line, and then that little turn step she does after singing the titular line is so cute.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

Track 8 was announced last night (not going to post it since it has a dirty word in it, lol).

lpfreak1170 and domesticmachine like this.
  24. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

25. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    WhatDoIKnow likes this.