TCM's shorts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

Turner Classic Movies shows a lot of short subjects from the Golden Age of Hollywood, but they don't draw much attention to them. They do not list the film's titles on the on-screen ID cards for the next 3 film's that run directly after the end of a film most of the time, IIRC (Though they do list them on the online guide - with minimal or no commentary about them, though.).
    They're - interesting. Not necessarily all classics! Perhaps they're, with their lower- budget status, an interesting piece of what the 30s/40s mass audience was thought to like. TCM generally does not show the most generally remembered and wide-appeal categories of Golden Age shorts, cartoons, two-reeled slapstick star's comedies, and newsreels!

MikaelaArsenault and vinnie like this.
  2. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I find them very interesting. The stop motion one of the guy driving without a car is one of my favorites.
    I saw one a couple months ago of Errol Flynn and his crew sailing the Caribbean doing some ecological studies.

jerol

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

They showed a creaky one a few weeks back with Rose Marie (from "The Dick Van Dyke Show") when she was a child singing some songs- the also had a film with a very young George Burns and Gracie Allen which was fascinating to watch.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

That sounds like Stop, Look and Listen from 1967.

I really enjoy all those old MGM Technicolor James Fitzpatrick Traveltalks.

5. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

That's the one.
    I like the traveltalks also,

jerol

6. WLL

...My 1924-born father said that young people at movie theaters during the Golden Age would pick the travelogues as the space to take a bathroom/popcorn break!:laughup:

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

8. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

They often show industrial/educational shorts from the '50s/'60s in the early morning hours on Saturdays, those are a hoot. There was one with Kevin Tighe as a heroin addict they show occasionally.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the interview ones or the ones where the children of the celebrities narrate the shorts about the life of that particular celebrity?

10. Scooterpiety

Also, MGM Parade and the Ken Murray films like Hollywood Without Makeup.

11. Scooterpiety

I remember seeing that Kevin Tighe film in the '80s on Night Flight or a similar show back then.

12. WLL

I

...I presume that MGM Parade to be an early repackaging-clips TV series!

13. Scooterpiety

That's right. The studio went back into their archives with clips from several classic films. They also showed various shorts, the inner workings of the studio and scenes from upcoming films with interviews with the stars. It was hosted by George Murphy, then Walter Pidgeon and ocassionally other actors.
    One episode was entirely devoted to a biography of Greta Garbo.
    The show aired for one season, with 36 episodes during 1955-56.

WLL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.