Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - The Sound That Touch The Face Of God -

Sorry if I brought it up and not to shield myself from anything. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm one of their biggest fan. I recognize their music when I was young without even a buzz from anyone. Their work is so ingenious. Look at the way how they write songs, the melody, the changes, the riffs and theyre a master of off-beats. I began reading and reading more about them in my early days. These guys are studio masters. Ian Stanley was the key from the beginning. He exposed them to the use of effects and analog recordings. He co-wrote a lot of song and music in "Songs from the Big Chair". The sound of that album was dynamite! Then followed along with "Sowing the Seeds of Love"
    Ians departure from the band suffered a lost of sounds creativity and production. That is just my personal observation.
    I saw these guys live in 1986 Anaheim orange county. They sounded just like the record!
    Ive seen them 5 or maybe 6 after that, the still sound good but the wave 32, Roland Jupiter sound, clever analog tracks was not there anymore which their magic sound was the one the put them #1 in the map.
    Going back to the CD, only time will tell.
    If you have the new cd, play it and listen a few tracks, pull out your songs from the big chair and listen. Let your own conclusions tell you.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well two points:

1. Massey is a different master
    2. Massey is (I believe) a new mix

So comparing Massey to the same songs on Big Chair isn't going to tell you if you have been ripped off, only a direct comparison will.

jamesc likes this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Well I take that back. No comparison needed with your CD.
    I was all along talking about my CD.
    I wouldn't really say I got ripped off. Because I know I'm returning the CD.
    Nevertheless I don't really need to compare. My recording station can easily tell in details and a lot more.

[​IMG]

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Not to doubt the creative ingenuity of bootleggers and forgers but have you compared your CD’s matrix numbers to the one pictured on the Discogs page? I have the same CD and mine matches up, right down to the tiny Universal logo in the matrix area, which I think would be hard to accurately replicate.

Tears For Fears – Live At Massey Hall Toronto, Canada / 1985 (2021, CD)

5. Classic Car Guy

CD or Vinyl which is...You're Happy or Not?

6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I suppose I’m happy with it. I’m not super fussy about sound, to be honest the cringy stage banter and the two missing encore tracks bothered me more and even those are minor quibbles as far as I’m concerned. I’m glad they released it, it makes up for the fact that I still don’t have anything to play my VCD copy of Going To California on.

danielbravo, jamesc and Hammer70 like this.
  7. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Not sure why it wouldn’t be legitimate. I do believe at least some were manufactured at a Czech plant. The sound is fairly loud/compressed. Personally I think it’s acceptable sound quality overall although more dynamics would’ve been nice. It is less dynamic than the tracks on the Chair box, but those sound hopelessly dull to my ears, pre-remix.

jamesc and Maurice like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Well that's the most important thing that your happy with your purchase.
    Again my CD has nothing to compare with yours. I was just like asking. Anyways good chatting with you guys. Gotta finish some work.
    Thanks,,,,

9. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

You might want to compare it with this one:
    Tears For Fears – King Biscuit Flower Hour (2001, CDr)

10. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I like the CD but the mixing is rather odd. Is it me or is there no drums on Mad World? They are certainly present on the transcription CD.

11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I love the part on this new Massey Hall version of "Mother's Talk" that highlights the synths at 1:36/1:40/1:44 and again at 3:12/3:16/3:18. It's just a set of 3 low sustained notes that are then repeated, but it adds such power to the song. That part is there on the Dallas show, but it's mixed so far down I never even noticed it. Same thing with the "Super Deluxe" version of Massey Hall (disc 4). Crank it!

12. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

The only advice that I can give you is, that you should buy another CD first. And then compare it to the one you have now.

13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Andy Pearce tends to master on the darker side.
    The only fair comparison is "Mothers Talk" because that was already taken from the same multis on the SFTBC box set.

Jagger69, Hammer70 and Curveboy like this.
  14. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I am sure Mad World has been mixed incorrectly on this CD or they were missing one or two of the tracks.

15. Classic Car Guy

Do you guys dial your bass control down on some of songs on this album?

16. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

@JulesRules : Despite what Steve Hammonds told you, but do you think that "Live At Massey Hall" get's a general release? Could it be that they have changed their minds about this release, because of the soundquality?

17. Classic Car Guy

???
    Please explain?

Jagger69 likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Sound quality has never stopped anything before.

My guess is it's just been put on the back burner because they finally sorted out The Turning Point.

Jagger69 and D-rock like this.
  19. JulesRules

[​IMG]
    ;)

jay.dee likes this.
  20. walrus

God dammit. I was close enough. :laugh:

(I would've also accepted Toto's "The Turning Point," which is one of my favorite deep cuts)

jay.dee and JulesRules like this.
  21. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

With The Tipping Point promotional cycle in full swing now through release (and beyond, if touring) I wouldn’t be surprised if a general release of Massey was put on hold for a year or two. I think those types of gaps - for RSDs that have seen wider release - haven’t been uncommon.

I think there’s been debate over whether or not a general release hasn’t already been done, but I’m not sure it has; just a fair number of CDs from the original run available in the wild later than what was expected.

Rufus rag, D-rock and JulesRules like this.
  22. JulesRules

While I doubt that the mastering is going to get looked at again, there might be a chance they fix the incorrect personnel listing on the CD. Really still weird how this was correct on the LP but not on the CD!

D-rock likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Pink Floyd recently released their Knebworth 1990 set. Any chance TFF will do the same?

I’d like to see more archival live sets see the light of day! :righton:

JulesRules and Rufus rag like this.
  24. walrus

not properly releasing the Santa Barbara show with the Seeds thing is such an unforgivable omission.

25. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I have no reason to believe that JulesRules' source was wrong and that a general release was planned. It is possible that they were not satisfied with the sound quality this RSD release and that have decided not to give this a general release.
    Another possibility is that this RSD release on CD did not sell very well. Maybe they didn't release it, because there are still copies available.

I also could be wrong and sooner or later this live album will get a general release.

How could this have happend? The album cover for the LP and CD are the same. How is it possible that the LP has the correct personnel listing and the CD an incorrect personnel listing?