Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

All I know is experiencing from buying their albums in the early days especially the first release of songs from the big chair back in 1985 cassette, I probably bought and lost, and bought maybe about 3 times and was still happy.
    In this last CD, honestly I'm not excited in getting another one in a rush even the forth coming new album. Ill still buy the CD or album, but I can wait for the next 2 to 5 years..These guys are my best 80's band of all time but now it feels different.
    I have all the simple minds and ultravox albums (complete) and I'm always been very happy with them and looking forward in getting the first dibs with their more upcoming releases.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    danielbravo and Jagger69 like this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Massey Hall on blu ray from film negatives is my top wish

danielbravo, Sean, Ryan Lux and 5 others like this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I'm going to ask Steve again but I'll say that he said nothing about this issue when I last mentioned it to him.

If anything, I suspect the timing around the new album to be a factor. I mean, that was the reason for the hold-up of the Seeds box for years (and some people doubted me when I said it would be released at some point!). My guess is that we'll see a reissue of Massey Hall once the Tipping Point promo cycle is through.

Sammy Banderas, jamesc and Jagger69 like this.
  4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that too! I figured they did it to sort of resemble the stripped down Gary Jules version but who knows.
    I'm pretty much with @Maurice on the release. The banter and missing songs were a little disappointing. I like it quite a bit even if it doesn't sound like I remember the Chicago show I saw on that tour.

JeffMo and Maurice like this.
  5. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

The album was mixed using newly found multi tracks and it clearly wasn’t done right with mad world.

JulesRules and jamesc like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have edited the banter out of my “to play” version of this album!

jamesc likes this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'm thinking that this version of "Mad World" from Toronto is not faithful to what was heard in Massey Hall that night. That being said, I love it! The guitar and the backing vocals are emphasized and other parts seem to be mixed down or even out. But I think (and hope) that all of those pieces were actually played that night. I'm fine with a remix if they're not adding newly recorded parts years after the fact.

In a similar way, I also really like the "reprise" version of "Women In Chains" from the Seeds boxset. For all I can tell, it's just the isolated keyboards from the regular album version. It doesn't seem like it should work, but I find it really moving.

8. humanracer

Here is Richard, the mixing engineer, thoughts on Mad World. The broadcast version had drums.

There weren’t any drums recorded to tape during Mad World so this is all that was available. It was a while ago since I mixed this but I don’t recall there being any drums audible in the crowd mics either.

danielbravo, ARK, Maurice and 3 others like this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Great update and thanks,,,,
    My friend got his LP and he said its night and day from the CD I gave him. I guess everyone is updated to that except myself .. LoL...
    Anyways I'll just gonna have him track it on Reel to reel.

JulesRules and D-rock like this.
  10. humanracer

D-rock, Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What credit is wrong on the cd?

12. JulesRules

The band credits. They did some copy&paste from the Richard Skinner session...
    Andy Davis is erroneously credited (he wasn't on this tour)
    Nicky Holland is not credited, and neither is Andy/Andrew Sanders/Saunders (still haven't found out what his correct name is)
    [​IMG]
    CD (wrong)
    [​IMG]
    LP (right)

13. JulesRules

Sammy Banderas and Jagger69 like this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Check out this songlist from the Deluxe album and compare the memories fade on the Live in Massey Album.

[​IMG]

Jagger69 likes this.
  15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

morgan1098 and JeffMo like this.
  16. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

2020 - The Seeds of Love SDE
    2021 - Live at Massey Hall
    2022 - The Tipping Point

A veritable bounty for starving TFF fans!!

ARK, Curveboy, Maurice and 2 others like this.
  18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The supposed "general release" for the CD came and went very quietly last summer. At this point it looks like your best bet might be copies on ebay or Discogs in the $25-$30 range...

19. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It would be a smart move to have some copies of this album (LPs and cds) available at the merch stand this summer on tour. The Church and OMD do this and I’ve picked up some great souvenirs at their gigs over the years.

21. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Agreed!!!

JulesRules and JeffMo like this.
  22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I've seen it go from being In Stock to Sold Out and back a few times over the last couple of days, so it's worth checking back once in a while.

Warm_tunes likes this.
  23. Warm_tunes

Warm_tunes Forum Resident

I just clicked the link about an hour ago and lucked out, they accepted my order!

Curveboy, D-rock and JAuz like this.
  24. Warm_tunes

Warm_tunes Forum Resident

Just a quick follow up, I did order the Massey Hall record from Urban Vinyl and it appeared to be in stock when I bought it. However my order languished in “Preparing to Ship” status for over a week. I sent customer service an email asking about the status and within 24 hours I received a transactional email stating my order had been cancelled and refunded with no further comment.

However I tracked a sealed copy down on Discogs and it arrived today and after a spin in the Record Doctor it is playing now - sounds fantastic!!

Does anyone know if this concert was ever broadcast on TV? I have a very distinct memory of 1985ish, watching the entire concert on TV while I worked on a painting. But now I have no idea if this was the concert I was watching or if I’m just crazy.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Parts of Massey 85 came out on home video. Maybe a music video channel/show aired some stuff.

JulesRules, Warm_tunes and D-rock like this.