Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Well, Paul has corrected me on that subject: SDE’s 2021 Record Store Day video preview #2 – SuperDeluxeEdition

For comparison, I'm quoting his own liner notes from the box set:

"Tears for Fears played four nights at Toronto's Massey Hall at the end of May 1985. Three tracks from the 30 May concert - Memories Fade, Broken/Head Over Heels and Everybody Wants To Rule The World - were issued on a Canadian twelve-inch promo (DJV 173). These are released commercially on this set for the first time, alongside never heard full performances of Mothers Talk, The Working Hour and Shout from the same gig - newly mixed from the original multitrack tapes."

Odd. But at least it gives us an answer on when the recording took place...

Jagger69, jamesc and Curveboy like this.
  2. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

So are all these tracks supposedly taken from the may 30th show?

3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

JulesRules likes this.
  4. JulesRules

The Wikipedia article on Electric Guitars has him as "Saunders", but no sources are given for that.

5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Nope. Got “Item cancelled” this morning. Disappointed, what i’ve heard sounds great! Oh well … :rolleyes:

Curveboy likes this.
  6. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

My hopes are also low. Well, I tried. Luckily it's just a matter of time.

danielbravo likes this.
  7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I am among those who have hopes of being able to have this in September ... if really the CD release will be identical to the RSD as has been commented here, I do not understand why it was limited to only 750 copies. The prices I have seen on Ebay are totally insane for a CD, even by today's standards.
    The auctions reach very high prices for this CD and if it will be released in September, why is this madness?

OptimisticGoat, Jagger69 and Curveboy like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Madness of Roland? :)

Speaking of b-sides, I listened to Saturnine, Martial and Lunatic on headphones last night! :righton:

OptimisticGoat, Jagger69, ARK and 4 others like this.
  9. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

There is the impatience factor of course - Sept is not really that far off, but this just sounds so good. But perhaps there is also the “Tears” factor here - will it really be released in September or delayed? (New album? Sowing the Seeds box?)

10. RedRoseSpeedway

My cd from discogs was sent out from Italy today, should be here in a few days!

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

o_O Sowing the Seeds box already came out.

Jagger69, danielbravo and JulesRules like this.
  12. JulesRules

I think this was a reference to how long that was held up with the band possibly wanting to release their new material first...

Jagger69, ARK and ronbow like this.
  13. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Just got the CD from my favourite local record store. Marvellous sounding album which totally surprised me. Also an impeccable performance by everyone involved. I'm sure the backing tapes were a big help, but still... They'd be foolish not to give this a wider release.

[​IMG]

mjb, Diego Lucas, Jagger69 and 13 others like this.
  14. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I don’t usually play live albums that often but this has been on repeat for the last few days. It helps that I went to the first date of the tour so it brings back happy memories.

15. Nike

Nike Duke

For Cd. Man you’re crazy!!!!!!!!

JulesRules likes this.
  16. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

due to pick my vinyl copy up this week, strange that the CD sold out so quick but not the vinyl pressing that seems to still be available at a few of my regular indie stores even now

danielbravo likes this.
  17. serj

serj Forum Resident

CD is in a normal jewel case!! Twice amazing!! :)

18. JulesRules

It will look good next to my self-made CDs of In My Mind's Eye, the Big Chair Steven Wilson mix (to which I added a few tracks from this gig...) and Going to California :agree:

19. RedRoseSpeedway

not any worse than paying that much for vinyl which a lot of people are doing, it’s an important release to me :wiggle:

danielbravo, Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  20. RedRoseSpeedway

How did you make your CDs for In My Minds Eye and Going To California? I’ve contemplated acquiring DVD’s and using a video to audio converter

Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  21. JulesRules

For In My Mind's Eye, I just inserted the DVD (from the Hurting box set) into my computer and dragged the files into Audacity. I then applied some "remastering" work which involved amplifying the audio levels (not compressing, but simply making it louder) and - somewhat more complicated - fixing a few dropouts of the applause in one channel right after "The Prisoner". Finally exported the audio as a single WAV file, exported the labels as a text track which I then converted to a cue sheet with label2cue. Burned on disc with ImgBurn. That is the only way I know how to burn a truly gapless CD, everything else I've tried out didn't work.

For Going to California, another fan sent me a rip of the laserdisc, which sounds a bit better than the DVD. I did similar restoration steps - normalizing the audio, fixing a few clipped drum beats, and fading in & out at appropriate points so I could make it a double CD (it's slightly overlong for a single CD). With hindsight, I kinda regret I didn't add "Standing on the Corner of the Third World", which was played and broadcast but omitted from the video release (it's floating around the web, so I could've easily downloaded it from somewhere).

It involves some amount of work, but it's also satisfying and makes me less dependent on watching stuff I only have as video.

22. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I’m guessing I can do this with Logic Pro on my currently in storage iMac ? Logic is a high end DAW that is crazy versatile so I think I’ll have to experiment a bit. It even burns files to CD so I’m thinking I can do everything in Logic. Would like a CD of Minds Eye.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m still confused though - if they played four nights why didn’t they record all shows for audio and video? Seems like there is no excuse for not having a complete setlist.

24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

And looking at the credits from "Scenes...", it says the performances are from May 30 and 31. So at least 2 shows were recorded.

On the other hand, it also says, "Filmed on location in England, Germany, America and Canada in 1984 & 1985". Was anything of this filmed in 1984? I don't think they toured at all that year, but I wonder about the interviews too.
    "Scenes..." lists the Massey Hall segments as being from May 30 and 31, so it looks like at least 2 nights.

Whether or not the 31st is still around and in good shape after 35+ years is another question.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

The music videos for Mothers Talk and Shout were included on Scenes and they were both released in 1984 so maybe they're including them in that statement.

Jagger69, JulesRules and JAuz like this.