Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

thank you for the detailed answer! I’d like to do something like this

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Flippers are asking $47 minimum for the vinyl on Discogs.

3. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

In that case I'm happy that I was the buyer who got it for the minimum sale price on discogs (33€).

4. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I have received a shipping notice today.
    That is quite unexpected.

Curveboy, JulesRules and Baidur like this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Somebody is trying to sell a cd copy for €500 on discogs :biglaugh:

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not if they think they can make a buck

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

:righton:

Should we tell that poor Italian seller who's currently asking a beyond insane 500€ on discogs that there will be more CDs? :shh:
    There is also the question how much was actually filmed (this was in pre-digital days and the budget might not have been there to film several nights in full). We only know of the following existing on film:

Broken/HOH/Broken (which is audibly a different performance than on the 12")
    Memories Fade (which is the same performance as on the 12")
    I Believe
    The Working Hour (which is the same performance as on the box set)
    EWTRTW
    The Hurting
    Shout

That's just slightly over half of the setlist.

Jagger69 likes this.
  8. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I had a cassette of the first night of the tour that I’d recorded on one of those small single tape cassette recorders. One of our crowd knew Roland and we got the best position right down the front, and I’d popped this recorder on the edge of the stage. In honesty, the end result left a lot to be desired (Although I’ve heard worse) : because it was on the stage, the vibrations from the speakers and band members moving about caused the recorder to vibrate. Curt sounded like he was gargling on Pale Shelter and I only got half of Shout.
    Still, it lived for 10+ years, and every now and again I’d pop it on and have a listen. I even managed to get Ian Stanley and Manny Elias to sign the case. I think I figured if I presented it to Roland he might confiscate it !! Anyway, one day it died :(. Should have made a backup because that - and the upclose photos I took and also subsequently lost - would have been cool to have now.

Chippenham Goldiggers March 1985 !

1983 was better though

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    ARK, Jagger69, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No, flippers should die on the vine! :cool:

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be greedy. Thrilled we get 13/15 songs after all this time and the LPs sound terrific.

Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cool story about catching opening night. Remind my fading memory: how long had the album been out? Was it already a big hit in UK or was it later in '85 like the US? Any idea how big the crowd was in Chippenham?

Jagger69 and Duncan Day like this.
  11. Duncan Day

The album hadn’t been out long. A month, if that. We knew all the songs though. I think looking back at that point in time the record was a bit of a slow burner. It was obviously an immediate success but I don’t think it really took off until EWTRTW was released as a single. That seemed to push the band into a different league.
    As for the size of the crowd, I reckon 2000-2500. It wasn’t a monstrous venue but it was big enough. Some great bands passed through its doors : Depeche Mode,The Smiths, New Order.
    Tragically it’s now an insurance brokers :(

About the only claim to fame that Chippenham has is that it’s where Eddie Cochrane died driving back to London from Bristol in 1960-something, upsetting a certain young Mr McCartney

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Jagger69, JulesRules and JeffMo like this.
  12. JulesRules

Another one joined the ranks with the only slightly less insane asking price of 300€ :doh:

Jagger69 likes this.
  13. hEARt PhoniX

As my CD is very likely to arrive within a few hours ... I will leave those bargains to others ... ... ...
    Though ... I actually payed the hefty price of €22,99 ...
    (Which still is a lot for a new single CD, but that was my decision.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

After extended delays.

15. hEARt PhoniX

... Massey Hall has landed ...

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but one thing I don't like about
    this release is the crowd. It sounds like an outdoor fest full of tweeners as opposed
    to stately Massey Hall.

17. JulesRules

Actually, there has not been much discussion about the actual details of this performance, so you're free to elaborate! Of course TFF were a band with a "teenybopper" following in spite of their musical complexity and dark/thoughtful lyrics, so I'm not surprised at that comment.

imail724 and NunoBento like this.
  18. hEARt PhoniX

I am keeping it for next week when I'll have more spare time.

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Without having to troll through the thread, where can one buy the CD? Have no interest in vinyl!

20. Duncan Day

The two times I saw them I don’t recall the following being particularly teeny bop. Think that phase passed quickly. There weren’t many girls at either show and the chaps were fans of The Cure, New Order etc etc.

21. Schu

Schu But Mama, that's where the fun is . . .

Discogs :D - €400 shipped or €300 plus shipping!

22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

You guys that have this already, I wish I were in your shoes to listen. I don't even think there's a sampler track that's been posted to the web yet, right? If so, someone please point me to it. I'll have to wait on the general CD release that is hopefully coming in September.

In the meantime, I can rock out to the "Scenes..." doc with all that awesome Massey Hall footage. It's funny that while it does look like a young, almost teeny-bopper crowd there in Toronto, if you look at the Going To California video (from the next tour), it feels like a wine-and-cheese crowd. Maybe that's just me imagining things because of the Southern California amphitheater setting.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Looking forward to the general CD as well. Presumably the RSD version will surface on youtube one of these days so the rest of us can get a taste.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

To be fair…many of us in our 40s now were unruly teeny boppers in 1985!

JeffMo and JulesRules like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Some of us in our 50s were really cool dudes in 1985. Ok, we at least thought we were.....:cool: