Tears for Fears: Seeds of Love 30 Year Anniversary Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warm_tunes, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

US version sounds much better so it’s salvageable I think.

JulesRules, Eric_Generic and c-eling like this.
  2. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I’m highly doubtful that we will receive the set at all. What is really brutal is that there are people that pre-ordered the set on the same site days after I preordered and somehow they managed to I get a set. It should be first come, first served.

I doubt that this set will be repressed, but we will see I guess. Would be nice if they did a 2nd run to full fill all orders plus some for any one that needed to save money for it.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

The mixes probably don’t sound like The Seeds Of Love 89’ master but there’s no way they were sent to the mastering engineer sounding like that.

JulesRules and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

God I'd hope not Ryan. Being 2005 hoping the DAT's are still in good shape. Fingers crossed-I love this album!

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I could never get into Happy Ending at all. Perhaps due to the sound.

EG.

6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Was it recorded to DAT? I would think just regular Pro Tools files on someone's hard drive...

c-eling likes this.
  7. ledzepp

ledzepp Forum Resident

Would be great to have “Happy Ending” getting the same BluRay/LP/deluxe treatment as Seeds. A definite buy.

I also quite like Raoul & Kings of Spain, but that can wait.

ARK, JulesRules and D-rock like this.
  8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I like that. The album divides up nicely into three LP sides, none of the segues are affected that way...
    Not sure about Snow Hill live version since it's never been officially released but they surely must have a lot of live recordings. If nothing else, the live version of "Mad World" from the Gold compilation would also be a nice bonus.
    Not according to Tim Palmer. Remember that the US version (which is the better mastering - listening on Spotify now - "Quiet Ones" does not sound like it comes out of a trash can like the EU version) was done by Stephen Marcussen, who's quite well known for shaving a lot of DR Δ...
    Yes, ProTools recording if I'm not mistaken.
    Raoul probably won't see another reissue because it's owned by Sony and we know how dismal Sony are at reissues, nevermind that they don't want to license out anymore (we can really thank Steve Hammonds for doing it for Cherry Red way back in 2009, that CD is probably as good as it gets for now).
    Which mastering do you have?

ARK, ledzepp, RAZORMADE and 2 others like this.
  9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not 100% sure, but from Discogs it looks like I might have a non-UK pressing. My copy definitely doesn't have a slipcase, and pretty sure it doesn't have the 2 extra tracks. I was getting a lot of stuff online back then, from various global e-tailers, and often got non-UK versions. My copy is currently in storage, being from the 00s...

EG.

Jagger69 likes this.
  10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Ugh, just listening to some of the "Closest Thing to Heaven" remixes on Spotify. I hope those are skipped in favour of live recordings when the album gets deluxed.
    The only one worth including is the radio mix.
    If it doesn't have the bonus tracks it's probably the better US mastering. The European version sounds worse, believe me.

c-eling, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Doesn’t the deluxe edition include both the 1989 mastering and a 2015 (post-fire) remastering?

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm very late to the party on this thread...I played my 89 Fontana cd of Seeds last night (it's been a while) and forgot how great it sounds...any reason I need to spring for the 2020?

13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Can you explain the better US mastering?

Looking here: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

...I see 2 versions (listed as min/avg/max)
    UK: 5/5/6
    US: 5/6/7

While that is a tiny bit better, that album still has a LOT of room for improvement. And I'm not even sure that I could hear a difference between DR 5 and 6.

Is there another mastering that you're referring to?

And if I understand correctly:
    - the Spotify one is the same as the US mastering?
    - the 2004 red promo vinyl is unknown?

14. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

"Snow Hill" was recorded live on the TFF tour and released on Curt Smith's 2007 "Halfway, Pleased" CD featuring Amy Keys on backing vocals with Doug Petty and Roland Orzabal on keyboards.

JulesRules, D-rock, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

FYI, DR numbers don't tell the complete story. There is more to it than that.

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I do agree with that. It's a guide and is mostly useful to tell if there are differences (for better or worse) between masterings. I do have the US mastering though, and I've always thought something was off about the sound. I rarely put that album on and I wonder if that's part of the reason. I'd love to hear a less compressed version of it someday.

(Sorry to hijack the Seeds of Love thread)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It does, but I think the 1989 master is only available via the Blu-Ray disc in the set.

EG.

ARK, Jagger69 and Curveboy like this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

On its own, I would say no. It's barely any different (some minor tweaks that are so minor it's unclear if there has actually been any genuine remastering as such). But if you wanted the 2CD or the box, then that's another thing. The bonus discs are worth it, to varying degrees.

EG.

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Thank you. :righton:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

@c-eling didn't you track down a US Arista promo of this CD? Does it differ from what is above in terms of mastering?

As background, this album was originally scheduled to be released by Arista in 2004 before being sold to Universal and being delayed by several months. But some Arista promo copies (with copy protection--boo) made it out before that happened. There was discussion somewhere that maybe those Arista promos had different mastering, but I don't remember the outcome.
    Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending (Album Advance)

JeffMo, ARK, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I did for the Universal. It was a blank. The CD-R is a re-writable so I'm wondering if whomever received them were instructed to delete after use. No idea.
    The one that supposedly has a non compressed mastering is probably listed in that thread. Not all promo's carry it. Some just the regular US mastering. It's a crapshoot I tell's ya! :laugh:
    Seller refunded 100% of my purchase. So if someone's looking for one, make sure you verify (any of them) that it does contain actual music :D
    [​IMG]

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And hundreds of thousands of used CDs. But so what? The question I was addressing was asking “I'm kinda wondering since has not been remastered.. if the original tapes were burned in the fire.?”

Jagger69 likes this.
  23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Sorry, I may have misunderstood the full question in my desire to help.

EG.

ARK, Jagger69 and marcb like this.
  24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I bought that US Arista advance promo CD earlier this year since as I found it for just a couple of bucks.

Here are the numbers. Looks like the same DR values as the regular US CD, though the Peak and RMS numbers differ slightly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: ~/Music/TearsForFears/ELAHE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    DR7 -0.50 dB -10.22 dB 1 Everybody Loves A Happy Ending.aiff
    DR6 -0.11 dB -8.61 dB 10 Killing With Kindness.aiff
    DR6 -0.01 dB -8.79 dB 11 Ladybird.aiff
    DR7 -0.66 dB -9.96 dB 12 Last Days On Earth.aiff
    DR7 -0.61 dB -9.59 dB 2 Closest Thing To Heaven.aiff
    DR7 -0.68 dB -9.14 dB 3 Call Me Mellow.aiff
    DR7 -0.47 dB -8.99 dB 4 Size Of Sorrow.aiff
    DR7 -0.43 dB -9.41 dB 5 Who Killed Tangerine?.aiff
    DR6 -0.52 dB -8.22 dB 6 Quiet Ones.aiff
    DR6 -0.01 dB -9.09 dB 7 Who Are You.aiff
    DR6 -0.48 dB -9.68 dB 8 The Devil.aiff
    DR5 -0.56 dB -7.68 dB 9 Secret World.aiff
    Number of files: 12
    Official DR value: DR6
    ==============================================================================================

JeffMo, Jagger69, morgan1098 and 3 others like this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have the advance cardboard sleeve promo for the U.K
    It's real.. sounds different compared to the US one I have.
    Universal most likely boosted the bass when they got a hold of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2020