Tears For Fears - The Hurting finally gets Deluxe treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesc, Aug 6, 2013.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I need to play In My Minds Eye DVD again soon with that '83 concert!

jamesc and negative1 like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

This is what JoshM has to say about it:

I'm not sure if the repressed CD box set will still use the master with the little "scratch" or the new one...

3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I actually bought the australian 12 inch, thinking it might have the 'new' version on it:
    Tears For Fears - Change

Nope, it didn't.

So, yes, i got the Canadian one, with the 'new' version. so its longer than the one
    on cd. ok... now, i have to transfer that also..

there was a rip on youtube:

also, i missed out on the re-release of the nylon stocking version of the change
    single, but picked up 2 loose versions on ebay cheap a few years ago, just to
    complete the set.

later

4. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Perhaps they didn't have the masters for the 1985 reissue of the original Pale Shelter? As said before, 27 seconds extra chorus doesn't seem essential and the extra 10 seconds of The Prisoner, probably a longer fade out, is even less so.

I can't listen to the longer version of the Change remix but I wonder how much is added?

5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member Thread Starter

I've had that blu-ray on my wish list for a while but glad I read JoshM's article on it because he points out that the first track is eq'd odd on there. I borrowed a friends copy and did some comparisons earlier this week and the title track is definitely duller sounding than the other versions I compared. I don't have an original CD anymore but compared the CD from the Collusion box with the blu-ray and the box set edition. When level matched, I thought the Collusion version was very similar sounding to the box set version but it has much better DR numbers. Not sure how if it's the same mastering as the original pressings but here's the numbers in case anyone cares:

foobar2000 1.3.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2019-06-17 20:15:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Tears For Fears / The Hurting {Japanese}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -3.37 dB -19.26 dB 4:21 01-The Hurting
    DR15 -2.22 dB -19.13 dB 3:36 02-Mad World
    DR12 -4.10 dB -18.56 dB 4:34 03-Pale Shelter
    DR15 -4.28 dB -21.86 dB 3:47 04-Ideas As Opiates
    DR14 -2.55 dB -20.84 dB 5:07 05-Memories Fade
    DR12 -5.01 dB -19.33 dB 3:53 06-Suffer The Children
    DR13 -3.77 dB -19.94 dB 4:19 07-Watch Me Bleed
    DR14 -3.14 dB -19.61 dB 4:15 08-Change
    DR12 -4.32 dB -18.82 dB 2:56 09-The Prisoner
    DR13 -4.50 dB -21.13 dB 5:01 10-Start Of The Breakdown

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 649 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

6. JulesRules

Huh. This is odd. So this is a dedicated, different mastering from the original CD... at least according to the DR database. The numbers are close but not identical. Strange how this one has even more headroom than the original, which wouldn't be necessary...
    While you're right in principle, it does seem at odds with the fact that the 12" of the 1982 Pale Shelter is longer on the box set than on the original 12"! :unhunh:

jamesc and humanracer like this.
  7. humanracer

ispace and JulesRules like this.
  8. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

The best sounding version is the japanese pressed mercury CD, it's a unique mastering (no snakeoil) it's very dynamic and sounds wonderful

9. Adegan

Adegan Forum Resident

Ooo, I was quite unaware of this difference on the Canadian 12". Thanks for bring this to my attention!

negative1 likes this.
  10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Interesting; doesn't look like a level-shifted mastering of the (other) original CD, either. I wonder if this is the same mastering that Redbook refers to above, since it's from the (Japanese) Collusion box.

Earlier I referred to the "Canadian Change/'new mix'" and reissued, original Pale Shelter as being "significant," but I was doing so in terms of the run-times. Each of these is a half-minute longer than the otherwise available versions, where some other tracks have much smaller variants (4...6...8 seconds). In truth, these two versions run-out longer, but that's all they really do. No major synth solos or fantastical drum breaks occur in the waning moments of these tracks. :unhunh:

In my book, the only real "sins of omission" from the box set are We Are Broken, Ideas As Opiates (b-side version), and Saxophones As Opiates.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm sure the german sounds just as good.

12. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

if you have some samples? I remember people here saying that the original release of The Hurting sounded bad, when I saw that japanese CD on eBay for next to nothing I jumped right at it just hoping that it sounds good, well it does. Thin of course but that's early synthpop sound. I'm more puzzled about Songs from the Big Chair, especially because the 2014 release claimes to be from the master tape, yes the MFSL SFTBC has less tape his, more dynamics (on Everybody Rules the World for example) and Head over Heals has a longer "Lala" section. Guess I should open a new threat about that

13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The Hurting is definitely one album where the original CD seems to best reflect the cold and lonely mood of the album. I noticed this particularly as original 80s vinyl normally sounds better than CDs to me, but it didn't in this case (although certainly not bad).

JulesRules likes this.
  14. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I got the reissued Deluxe Edition of The Hurting a few months ago and now I'm on a mission to correct the major flaws of Disc 2 for my digital library.

To that end I came across NM copies of these:

Tears For Fears - Pale Shelter
    Tears For Fears - Mad World

My question is: will these two slaps of vinyl provide me with the correct versions of "Ideas As Opiates" (B-Side Version), "Saxophones As Opiates" and "We Are Broken" (dry mix)?

JulesRules likes this.
  15. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Jacden, I think you’ve got it. Tagging @JulesRules here, but you should be correct. Mine are both U.K., IDEA 312 for World but IDEA 5 for Shelter.

JulesRules and jacden like this.
  16. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Thanks for the input VeeDub. That's good enough for me, so I just purchased both.
    I'm not an expert on TFF singles, so I thought it would be wise to ask here first.

I think I'll add "Saxophones" to my corrected Disc 2 as a sneaky hidden track. :D

JulesRules likes this.
  17. JulesRules

As if I were an actual expert instead of somebody who just grabs his knowledge from others! :D
    But yes, those would be the right items to buy, I assume.
    Funnily enough, I can actually understand why they left "Saxophones" off. It's decidedly weird. Still, completism and all...

jamesc likes this.
  18. barnabyjames1

barnabyjames1 Forum Resident

A shame there's no new vinyl version

19. JulesRules

There was one in 2013...

20. jacden

jacden Senior Member

... Which must have sold pretty well, since it was repressed last year.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

A lot of knowledge it is, though! :cool:

JulesRules and jacden like this.
  22. JulesRules

Thanks! Yeah, I'm like a sponge. I've always been envied for my ability to remember things at school. Should probably make better use of that instead of simply learning all kinds of obscure fan knowledge that won't get me a bachelor degree or anything, really... oh well. :rolleyes:

jamesc likes this.
  23. humanracer

@onionmaster
    For the sake of clarity because there is a lot of confusion regarding the track We Are Broken:
    We Are Broken has never been released on CD apart from a rare out of print limited edition compilation called "Tears Laid Low".
    All the remastered editions include a track with reverb called Broken Revisited.
    The compilations Famous Last Words & Mad World The Collection simply include Broken Revisited but without the backwards intro.
    This is 100% correct.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Thanks, I was mistaken at the time of my original post, but I since learnt this.

25. humanracer

Yeah I only discovered this recently too. And let's not get started on all the versions of Mother's Talk (USA Mix) haha