Technics 1200 w/ Ortofon 2M Black v. VPI Aries Scout (jmw9) w/ Dynavector 10x5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gss, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Online has been less common, but I was able to see the 1200G, 1200GR and 1200GAE all in stock and on set up for demos at a local dealer back in October. I think the GAE was the dealer's own, not for sale. But he said the GR and G were in stock at that moment, but he'd just restocked from the last back order at the time. So they are absolutely for sale, and I think becoming easier to find. You just might need to go to an actual store to get one.

2. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m surprised more people aren’t chiming in and claiming that VPI Aries smokes the 1200 MKII...

Am I stirring the pot? I actually want that to not be true, but thought it would be the consensus.

displayname likes this.
  3. Of course it does. I put it as diplomatically as I could I'm my earlier post.

displayname and gss like this.
  4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Nothing like the G out there at the moment for the $$. Get it while it lasts.

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Over the MkII? Absolutely. The music is quicker. It will have more forward propulsion. It will have more midrange detail. Music will just be more exciting. It will have more nuance, too. When it came out, Harry Weisfeld thought that it got about 85% of the performance of the then $100,000+ HR-X. Reviewer Art Dudley raved about it. Michael Fremer loved it as well.

Plus it's VERY upgradeable. I have one, and I later upgraded the platter, the motor, and added the peripheral clamp. The latter added greater solidity and power to the low end, while flattening any record warps.

displayname likes this.
  6. gss

Well, then...there ya go!

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

So did you ever get the VPI? If so, what were your impressions of how the two compared?

8. gss

Thanks for asking! The seller actually decided to keep his VPI (in fact, I was contemplating reaching out to see if he's happy keeping it).

So, I'm still mucho happy with my 1200 and Ortofon Black, but will probably grab the VPI if it comes up again. I'll keep you guys posted as I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison of the two: apples and oranges, maybe...but something tells me they'd compliment one another quite a bit.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  9. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

I actually did *finally* get the Prime and the Soundsmith MIMC star cartridge.

The Technics/Dynavector combination is great. But the Prime/Soundsmith is better to my ears--and it was immediate. Extended frequency response, quieter "quiet" passages: the music just sounds very clean and pure (if that makes any sense). I know it sounds hokey, but I am definitely noticing nuances in my vinyl that I never heard before. I had always heard people say that and never experienced it myself. I do now.

I am very, very happy with the VPI. Again, the 1200 is a great turntable. The newer versions are probably much better than the MKII that I have. But this VPI just kicks butt.

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.