Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

By people who haven't heard both turntables!

punkmusick and Slick Willie like this.
  2. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

Better is next to the turntables I already have not so important but differend in a good is wat I seek

3. Anjo

Anjo Active Member

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would think the greatest improvement would come from the arm, the platter, and separate motor control unit upgrades over the G.
    W&F for all the tables should be below human levels of detection.

Lucca90 likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Ahh yes, the redhead of the bunch, and the one that interests me the most. Will be interesting to see if the built in pre's signal path is truly by-passable...and the quality of it.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Nope. I'm pretty sure that there are at least two of you on the Earth. :winkgrin:

So there's no pressure to write that review... Really, none at all... Really...

:waiting:

:winkgrin:

SamS likes this.
  7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yeah, slick! You need to keep up with the Jones... err... a... I mean Sam!

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Thanks!

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

none whatsoever on my GR. ever. not so with belt driven tables i have owned or listened to.

McLover likes this.
  10. avanti1960

is it possible that the benefits of the G and up the line are heard more so when the going gets rough- example difficult to track higher modulated passages or with demanding music with a lot going on at once? such that they would be more capable of keeping their refinement and cool during those times?

the 1000r for example shows incredible gains in platter vibration reduction vs the G and especially the SP10 mkiii.

Reference Class Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1000R - Hi-Fi Audio | Technics US
    incidentally i would love for technics to offer the G tonearm as an upgrade.

i also find it wierd that the 1000r comes with an outboard speed controller which the belt drive tables seem to need for any sort of speed accuracy. It does look cool though.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Agree, looks very cool. It is separate to reduce noise, not for speed accuracy, and that makes the 1000R achieve the highest S/N ratio in the world according to Technics.

Slick Willie, patient_ot and 5-String like this.
  12. Darren8

Darren8 Well-Known Member

13 days until my 1210gr comes in to guitar Center. I really can’t wait. I haven’t been able to audition the rega p6 which is the only other table on my short list. As much as I want to warm up to the rega I just can’t. I think that the technics really has the rock solid build I am comfortable with. Still looking for a discount but no luck yet.

classicrocker likes this.
  13. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Not weird at all.

jeff

14. avanti1960

ultimately, no but i consider them band aids for belt driven tables in order to compensate for their set of issues. the technics direct drive system does not need a band aid and it looks out of place. a minor issue and certainly not a deal breaker.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's the power supply and placing it away from the cart is the main goal.

Eigenvector likes this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Good question! It’s actually still in the box. Been to busy too set it up, and I’m waiting for my Nagaoka MP-200 to show up. Maybe this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    snorker likes this.
  17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Where did you buy it?

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Guitar Center, online.

19. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Wait - for me when I went to Guitar Center online for the last couple weeks they said they were out of stock and not shipping until 4/3? I thought you just ordered it -- how did you get around that?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Techni...0GR-Professional-Direct-Drive-DJ-Turntable.gc

20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Hmmm...did they have it in stock? While my G is out for “evaluation” with Panasonic I’m without a turntable. :laugh:

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Just called Guitar Center...there aren’t any in stores or warehouses right now. They’re order only.

22. TheVinylAddict

I know ---- it's been like that for a while --- Hence my (our) question to SamS --- he was able to get one?

snorker likes this.
  23. Darren8

Darren8 Well-Known Member

I’m supposed to be getting one from GC on April 4th

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, I got mine last week. I ordered online in late January, and it originally appeared that GC was going to fulfill the order via a retail store direct shipment. When zero retail stores had it available, it went into backorder status. So mine apparently came from a GC distribution center.

The build date on my GR is Dec '18, and it is made in Japan. After the 1500G and 1200mk7 announcement, I got a bit paranoid that the GR would get discontinued and/or move production to Malaysia with the 1500C/1200mk7. Not sure if that's still a valid concern, or not.

McLover, snorker and TheVinylAddict like this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

Ahhh........ thanks Sam for sharing...... when we exchanging on it last week I thought you had just ordered. I thought maybe they were shipping earlier than expected or you pulled a string or two somewhere......... thanks.

I was kind of hoping you would say "yeah, I ordered it last week and it said out of stock still, but shipped anyway!"

I am one who is very curious your thoughts as a GAE owner!

snorker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.